main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends We Were Invincible - First Sentence challenge - Jaina vig

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Iverna, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Author: Iverna
    Title: We Were Invincible
    Timeframe: post-LOTF
    Characters: Jaina and Jacen
    Summary: Jaina and Jacen were invincible. But sometimes life traps you, and sometimes you can't get away.
    Notes: Written for the First Sentence challenge. The first sentence is now actually the first paragraph, because I changed the punctuation back to the original version. Don't kill me for it!

We Were Invincible

I was twenty-three. I was invincible, because you are when you’re twenty-three. The fact is, life sometimes traps you. Sometimes there is no way out and there is no chance to escape. Sometimes there is. Sometimes you can get away. Sometimes you die.

We were twenty-three and we were invincible. The thing about traps is, sometimes you don't notice them until they're sprung. No matter how much Mara has taught you. No matter how attuned to the Force you are.

Maybe that's why Jacen went off on his little jaunt across the galaxy. Trying to brace himself. Gain enough insight and wisdom and ability to be able to see it, before it happened, before we lost all chance of getting away.

But if life wants to trap you, life will trap you.

Anakin was seventeen when he died. Seventeen and brash and invincible. Because he always was, no matter what age he was. I believed it. Maybe it was true. Maybe being dead isn't the same as being beaten.

But the war ended and we survived, thanks to him, thanks to luck. We survived and we rebuilt with the others, sharing, healing, helping. We still had each other. We've always had each other. And we were invincible.

I don't know if either of us ever realised what was happening. I don't think I did. Looking back on it, it was stupid. Luke told me something once, something that Mara told him, back when. He said that if you yell too much, you stop hearing everything around you. If you power around with the Force too much, you stop hearing its guidance. No matter how attuned you are.

So maybe that's why we didn't see it coming. Maybe that's why it didn't do Jacen any good. He was so focused on becoming truly invincible that he became blind.

Life sometimes traps you. It trapped us. Sometimes you don't see the forest because of all the trees that stand in your way. I can't think of a saying that tastes bitterer.

I think we were scared. Scared of losing. You go through a war like we did without becoming scared of losing, I dare you. But we won, we were invincible, we never talked about scared. Scared doesn't happen to heroes, and heroes we were. Anyone will tell you that.

But when you're scared, you can either run or fight. We've never been the type to run. And if you're going to fight, you need to prepare yourself. And when you don't know what you're facing, when the trap hasn't been sprung but you can feel it, lurking away in your subconscious, so clever that you don't even feel it, the only way to prepare yourself is to be invincible. To be so strong that nothing, no one, can possibly beat you.

Maybe if he'd just admitted it, just trusted a little bit, the Force would've spoken to him. Maybe I would've spoken to him. Maybe we wouldn't have become blind.

We were thirty-two and like the numbers, everything had turned around. We were invincible, because you are when you've spent your whole life sparring and preparing and fighting off horrors that other people only see in movies or nightmares.

But life sometimes traps you, and sometimes there's no way out. There was no way out. There was one way out. But there was no escape, because you don't escape that, not ever. Some battles you don't walk away from no matter how good you are, no matter how you survive, no matter what you do.

We were invincible. But we weren't facing horrors this time, we were facing each other. The trap was sprung. There was no way out. Sometimes, no amount of training or preparation or sage advice can help you anymore because sometimes, the very attempt to become invincible leaves you blind and vulnerable.

Sometimes you can get away. Sometimes you die.

And sometimes you have to do both.

We're thirty-three and we're invincible. Even if there's only one of us left.

2. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Now this fic is lonely. And I can't even figure out how to delete it. :(

3. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    No, it isn't lonely!

It's sad and introspective and true. What with the way Jaina and Jacen and Anakin grew up, and the family they were from, it's understandable if they grew up feeling invincible. Great title and theme you chose here; so much emotion.

4. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Loved it!

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It is lonely! And so sad. :(

6. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    I just love your poems. this is so sad, and so true of the characters. It made me cry at the end. I think the saddest thing was the repitition.
    Your writing is great ! It sounded to me like it's really Jaina speaking, and at the end it sounds like she's trying to convince herself she's still invincible :_|

7. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Beautiful and so bittersweet. Jaina has had such despair in her life. [face_worried]

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Iverna:

Very poignant and very insightful.

=D=

Very true also [face_thinking] :(

Reading it though.... I wonder how it could have been/turned out any different. That's what's so tragic. i've always thought that the pivotal break came with NJO Traitor. o_O

Jaina weathered her storm in Dark Journey and came out stronger but because she felt invincible, etc., turned down a chance at love and living like ordinary folks in TUF. If she'd said to blazes with this hero crap then... [face_thinking]

Lots of questions and few answers LOL

9. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    A beautiful, sad, vig. You not only tap into Jaina's despair, but also the weaknesses that the Solo's have by being cast as invincible heroes, and not recasting themselves. It is true that no hero lives forever, but I've always found it interesting how different roles there are for heroes, and how those roles lock them into a path.

10. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Ooooh, I got reviews! Sorry. I've been neglecting the boards. Eep!

Sithgirl - thank you! I'm glad it rang true with you. Sometimes I think they might've been better off not becoming heroes at all...

star_writer - thanks!

Sinrebirth - sad is what I was going for... Jaina and Jacen's story is really heartbreaking now. :(

kiki - aww, thank you so much! I'm flattered. I'm so glad that it's in-character!

divapilot - yeah, she really has had a tough time of it, hasn't she?

Jade_eyes - thank you! Yeah, I wonder the same thing. Jacen really didn't start off as the kid who'd eventually turn to the Dark Side, did he? I wish they'd had a chance to just be normal people. Or at least, as normal as you can be while being a Solo...

Neo-Paladin - thank you for the kind words! Heroes are fascinating, aren't they? I wish that the Solo kids hadn't needed to be invincible, though. It's really sad.

11. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Wow. =D=

I'm not sure how I missed this the first time around, but you really captured Jaina here Iverna!

It is so bleak and longing and just heartbreaking. I particularly liked the passage about being scared. It's not something we generally hear heroes talk about, but it is so true that just because someone is brave doens't mean that they haven't been scared. It's a very poignant thought.

Congrats on a job well done! =D=

~Celeste

12. zekksgirl

zekksgirl Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2009
    That was amazing

13. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Excellent work, Iverna! I'm also sorry that I missed this the first time around.

This sentence stopped me cold. This idea demands to be considered, and I will.

Thank you for writing and sharing this. I truly enjoyed it!

14. juneau

juneau Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2009
    This was simply beautiful. I think you captured Jaina's heart, her mind, so well. Such an introspective, provocative piece; a delight to read! =D=

-j.

15. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Beautiful vignette. You write like a poet even when you're writing prose - the repetition definitely works here, just like it did in your poem "Never." Consider me a convert - you've got a new fan!

16. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Sep 5, 2004
    Beautifully done. =D=

17. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Celeste - Thank you! I don't think you can do all the stuff that heroes do while never being scared... at the very least they'd have to be scared of losing each other, right? I felt really bad for Jacen and Jaina while writing this, and I still do. But thanks for reading! [:D]

zekksgirl - thank you!

oldjedinurse - thanks for that! I'm glad if something I wrote made you think, that's great! And thank you for the kind words. :)

juneau - yay, I'm delighted to hear that! Thank you very much!

Lady_Tahiri - wow, that's quite a compliment, thank you ever so much! [:D]

FelsGoddess - thanks very much! Love your username. [face_peace]

Thanks for reading, everyone! [:D]

18. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    :_|

It's knife-twisting-in-your-gut sad! It's I-want-to-strangle-the-authors-who-got-the-GFFA-into-this-mess sad!

But it's also beautiful sad, and I'm so glad you shared it!

19. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Jaded_Girl - I actually don't read the new books anymore because I just can't stand it. But I'm happy that you enjoyed this piece, sad though it is! Glad that the emotion comes across. Thank you so much for the comment! @};-

20. willowbeecat

willowbeecat Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2008
    Very nice story. It's very thought provoking.

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks very much, I'm happy to hear that!

22. Treborani

Treborani Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2009
    That was good! I don't come into the fanfiction section often, but I'm glad I did this time.

23. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, didn't realise someone else had replied... thank you very much! [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.