main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[weather] Dear people of england

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by malkieD2, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I bet you do a mean Tango.[face_dancing] [face_laugh]

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm more of a Pepsi fan. Haven't done a Tango yet - focused on a Foxtrot and ChaChaCha for the first few weeks - now moving onto a Waltz and Rumba.

I do it all wearing a bright pink shirt with sequins (sp?)

but on topic.............still snowing here.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Some pics I took when I went out to the newsagent/Post Office earlier (the first two are of my road, second two are two views out the lounge window):

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4

And it's started snowing again. My road still hasn't been plowed or gritted and there's a sheet of ice under the snow. So I'm glad I decided not to make the trek to work.

4. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I can't imagine a gritter getting down that street

more or less the same amount of snow here too (unsurprising seeing how close we live)
    snowing again here too - I'm heading home within the hour

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Malkie, you'll have to post a picture of yourself in your glitzy costume. :D

Persistent snow is now across London and the South-East and should push north-west through the afternoon, getting towards the East Midlands (where I am ;) and Lincolnshire by the end of the afternoon, then on into north-east England evening where it may grind to a halt. Met Office are warning of 40cm over the Pennines tonight - That sounds a lot, but some outer boroughs of south and east London have snow depths in excess to 30cm already! :eek:

Anywhere south and east of London can expect heavy rain and sleet this evening, which will wash the snow away. Then overnight it'll all freeze, so possibly an extremely icey start in the south-east tomorrow morning.

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like you had a bit more than my area did. However, it's now snowing pretty good again here. The snow on my road had melted some but this will make it refreeze. At least my car is in the garage so I don't have to worry about digging it out.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Why is it that modern advances in technology fail to deal with adverse weather compared to past technologies?

Train keep getting cancelled or majorly delayed. In the days of steam trains they'd just shove a whopping great plough on the front of the engine and off it would go.
    Surely they can come up with a way to have a train move snow, even if they had to attach a rail sweeping engine to the front :rolleyes:

And the primary school at the end of my road has closed, even though 90% of the kids in it live walking distance away.

The cinema I work at is terribly designed. The doors are all glass with gaps in so the cold air comes into the foyer. Box office lamp heaters are useless and the people on retail serivce stands directly in front of the main doors all have to work with little or no heating. I don't know the exact rules of employment, but surely if you are breathing steam inside while you're working then it is too cold.
    And they wonder why everyone is off sick...

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I bet the teachers don't though.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I would love to go to Uni, but the trains have been cancelled. So hardly my fault!

And it's more than two inches where I live, relatively near London, and I'm in a valley so I shouldn't get hardly any snow. But Flitwick is getting a fair amount.

The best bit is my fiance has to stay at home because the school she teaches at is closed. :D

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Good point :p

I hope too many of the local Secondary Schools aren't closed. Hard enough to go out as it is without the Chav population lurking around too.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This country is largely now set up for a warm/warming climate. When we get these throw backs to days gone past it always comes as a massive shock and surprise and chaos quickly sets in. If we found ourselves going back to a 1960's climate for a decade the nation would quickly adapt. It doesn't take long for us all to get used frequent weather types - Look how quickly we adapted to our warm climate and everyone began to expect all summers to be hot and all winters to be mild.....

13. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Snow!!!!

[image=http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/DarthMassor88/Snow.jpg]

Name the episode and you get massive geek points.

Not at uni today anyway, but I doubt i'll be able to make it into london tomorrow (trains are cancelled)

14. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Dr Who: WHO ?

Anyway I'm setting all 6 of my AT-ATs in my back garden.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There will be even more chaos once the melting polar ice dilutes the Gulf Stream and causes Europe to become like Alaska.

Won't happen for a decade or two, but I better invest in a snowmobile so I'm fully prepared for the worst :p

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    this is possibly the only website in the world where saying something like that would be considered cool
    you might get away with one AT-AT in the snow, but certainly not six

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmmmm.... I'm not convinced of NAD shutdown. Then again I'm not entirely convinced of so called "Climate Chance" (not called "global warming" anymore of course) Most likely we'll just continue to go through warm and cold periods just as we've always done.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The drive into work wasn't too bad today. My road is still a sheet of ice but enough people with 4x4's had gone down it to wear some grooves in the snow/ice. The main roads were just wet. And there was a lot less traffic as the schools are closed.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Weather warnings already issued by the Met Office regarding Thursday and Thursday nights snow potential;

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

This could well give much of Wales and The Midlands heavy snow on Thursday as low pressure pushes up from the south and engages the cold air. The the south-east may have more snow overnight Thursday into Friday as the low pushes away east leaving us in an extremely cold northerly wind, which could give a lot of snow to Scotland, with the emphasis shifting towards severe frosts for England into the weekend.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    5 inches of beautiful snow here this morning! I tell you what guys, I love snow. Always have and always will. :D

21. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    This fresh lot looks great, but as it hasnt fallen much in london (where my uni is), I have to brave the frozen wastes of Hoth (high wycombe) and get the train in.

Grrrr

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    London and the south-east may well have another huge dump of snow tonight and through much of tomorrow. 20cm quite likely in parts of the south-east.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My area got this one as rain so an easy commute for me. However some of my co-workers got it as snow and didn't make it in.

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    seems to be mini weather systems around my way - nearby folks are reporting 20cm, whereas we only had about 10cm. Folks down the road didn't seem to get much at all.

needless to say I made it in just fine :)

25. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Snow what snow; there hasn't been any snow all week where I live, so nothing different for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.