main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[weather] Dear people of england

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by malkieD2, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Who got the snow this time? Since 6am we've had thunder, lightning, snow, sleet, and rain. It's mostly rain now. My road was a bit slushy when I left to come to work but the main roads were just wet. The thunder and lightning woke me up but it was just as well as the alarm was due to go off anyway. That part stopped after one bang and flash.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I got the snow. [face_frustrated] As of 10am, I've yet to make it into work. Two failed attempts so far. Roads impassable.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    None here at all

4. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Grrr, snow here again. Getting to be a bit annoying now. Earlier in the week I missed rubbish lectures because of it, but now me and my girlfriend cant meet up because the buses arnt running.

Thats enough snow now thank you!

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    A fresh 7cm of snowfall in rural northants this morning on top of the 12cm that fell yesterday. My village is cut off and still the heavy snow if falling. This is now the most severe snowfall here since 1985, I think? :eek:

Snow will continue for the rest of today, pushing south-east and weakening. Then we'll have a drier day tomorrow with some sunshine, so a little bit of thawing may take place. Severe frosts tonight and again on Saturday night are expected. Temps could widely dip as low as -10c tonight over snow cover and that will lead to widepsread ice.

Beyond that, mild air will try and get in on Sunday, possibly bringing more snow to the north and east (mostly light stuff this time) Into early next week and a big low pressure could run up the channel bringing gale force winds and heavy rain, rain may well turn to heavy snow with severe drifting and blizzards Monday night and into Tuesday, for Wales, The Midlands and Northern England.

Things *MAY* start to turn milder with a real thaw setting in from about Wednesday/Thursday onwards - Though some models keep it cold beyond mid month.

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    more snow here again today....... took me a while to get to work due to traffic, but here none-the-less

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Where abouts do you live/work Malkie?

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    What a boon!

I tried to get to work twice this morning, and failed. Phoned the office, only to find they'd decided to close down at midday so that everyone could get home. :D

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    We're getting a little taster of the conditions our grandparents experianced in the exceptionally snowy February/March of 1947. The patterns then are very similar to now with high pressure to the north forcing low pressure on unusual southerly tracks with snow occuring on the northerly side of the lows. Life was much harder back then of course with the general poverty, rationing and austerity of the immediate post war period. What a rotten time to get a severe winter....

10. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Don't worry, our Goverment is trying hard to recreate that as well.

11. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    just north of london :D

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yup. Aberdeen is just north of London. :p

13. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    um, indeed.

14. Dar_manda

Dar_manda Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2007
    I live in Devon and it's been lovely down hhere, more's the pity. I wish we could have some of this catasrophic snow that everyone else has had. Not FAIR!!! :_|

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We've been having a snow/sleet/rain mix most of the afternoon here. It was all snow as I drove home but now it's raining. My road was slushy when I drove down it and I'm sure that will freeze nicely overnight to make walking treacherous tomorrow.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    OK, so after a quieter interlude, the snows coming back with a vengence over the next day or two.

Firstly this evening and tonight, snow can be expected across the Midlands, East Anglia, Northern England and Scotland, with another couple of inches falling quite widely. Snow is possible right down to London with rain or sleet likely south of London. Overnight that should all freeze over with more ice on roads and pavements.

Then we have a major storm sweeping up the channel Monday and Tuesday bringing severe weather and widespread disruption. South of the M4 it looks like we'll see up to 2 inches of rain with flooding. North of the M4 we're in for an exceptionally severe spell of snow. 30cm of snow could fall through Wales, Midlands, Linconshire and East Anglia, with blizzards and very severe drifting. Theres going to be a gale force north easterly wind and drifts of snow several feet deep are possible in places. Days of disruption can be expected - This could well be the kind of severe snow event this country hasn't experianced since 1979.

Rain will turn to snow in the south on Tuesday as the storm moves out into the Continent. The rest of the week remains cold with frost and snow showers, but nothing like what we're expecting on Monday night.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh for goodness sake. [face_plain]

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I know its very annoying and disruptive, but in a way nature is just striking back. This country has seen an astonishing lack of cold and snow over the past 20 years. Indeed, I think a lot of people had grown complacent and come to believe that the UK would no longer see severe winter weather. Nature is showing us what it is still capable of.

The question I'm wondering is whether this winter if our version of 1940. In the first fourty years of the 20th century cold and snowy winters had become increasingly rare. The 1930's were comparable with the last ten years or so for very few cold winter months. Then, abruptly, came 1940, the severiest winter since 1895 and that was to herald fourty five years of overall cooler weather, which reached its peak with the terrible summers and bitter winters of the 1960's. Could this winter (and the previous two summers) be a sign that we're entering a much cooler extended period?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - from what I saw on the weather Monday night/Tuesday isn't looking good. We had some rain this afternoon which means the side roads might be a bit icy in the morning before the sun comes up.

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Snowing quite heavily here, and settling.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's a bit too warm here, I think. It was raining on my drive into work and still is.

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its mainly going to be rain that falls today across England and Wales. Higher hills will probably see snow throughout, but its more likley to be rain on lower ground - This is because last nights weather front, as well as bringing rain and snow has boosted upper air temperatures slightly. So we're looking at heavy rain and a thaw of lying snow through most of England and Wales today.

However, as the channel low exits the channel tonight, colder air will be pulled back down from the north. So rain will rapdily turn to snow through Wales this evening, and then through the Midlands and East Anglia tonight, with blizzards and severe drifting likely in the gale force north easterly wind. Disruption is quite likely.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Looks like Snow for the capital is over

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    For the moment snow in the south-east looks to be over. But the updated Met Office two weekly forecast suggests its going to be remaining cold for the rest of the month and the chance of snow will increase again after the middle of the month.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Snowing lightly and settling here again. A centimetre or two right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.