main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The scale of the 2004 event is something hopefully we won't see again any time soon but 20k dead would be awful enough. Stories of efforts to rescue people trapped under collapsed buildings are always harrowing too. NPR had one this morning. I hope the relief money and equipment and expertise is flowing to where it is most needed.

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I saw that an expert team of search and rescue dogs was headed that way yesterday from Mexico.. hopefully they are still able to find people alive today.

I am trying to keep the Sampoong department store collapse in mind here... In that case, 2 women were found alive over 10 days after the catastrophe.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    UK sent a search and rescue team which arrived there about 24 hours ago as well.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I fear that we will see something close to the 1999 quake in Turkey, closer to Istanbul I think. There the death toll ended around 20 000.

I find comfort in that even Greece is sending rescue teams though, despite the hostility between the countries.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Sarge likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I would imagine some of the locally based search and rescue groups here such as Operation Blessing are probably gearing up to head there as well.

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Over 12K confirmed deaths so far. Very sad.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    And already over 19k for Turkey and Syria, with more than 16k dead in Turkey.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Death toll is just under 20,000 now according to CNN.

10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    There's over 4000 buildings collapsed, right? This happened at the early morning while everyone was asleep. It's gonna be high unfortunately.

I don't even know how these people begin to rebuild their lives. Or ... continue on as is. Even the buildings that don't appear damaged, might have hidden structural damages or may be compromised, and will have to be torn down. The entire area is unsafe. Another small earthquake or aftershock and who knows.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It’s going to be so many times more casualties than the current numbers. There are images of individual collapsed buildings that could have had 5,000 people in them when they collapsed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Given the cold weather there, i doubt they will find many more survivors in the rubble.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    NPR interviewed a geologist yesterday. They said an earthquake of this magnitude (apparently this was two huge earthquakes in close succession) will set off years of regular aftershocks and even other sizable Earthquakes. This really shook up the earth upsetting pressure points that now need to settle or break loose.

The geologist said yesterday they regions effected by the quake were feeling aftershocks multiple times an hour.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was an NPR Short Wave episode a few days ago about the tectonic plates shifting under Turkey and Syria. It referenced a 12th century earthquake that destroyed Aleppo (that mention left me racking my brain for the name of the Doctor Who episode about it) as similar.

15. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Yeah, least over 17000, but At this rate it's reasonably sad to think it could be over 40 or 50...

16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I think the episode is "Can You Hear Me?"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Official count is now at 41,000 for both Turkey and Syria. Miraculously they were still pulling out survivors as of yesterday - a full 175+ hours after the quake.

I don't know how anyone could trust any of those buildings now. Even the ones left standing look like they could crumble. And I saw a video highlighting how many of the building codes are overlooked, or ignored, where plumbing/pipes are cut through entire support beams of concrete, as if they don't exist. Its no wonder so many fell down instantly.

solojones, Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's an astounding number. Not even the war in Ukraine has produced quite that many civilian deaths. Normally you need cruise missiles and war crimes to produce numbers like that. And yet so much of it is indeed human error if not malfeasance.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It's not just the buildings but the geography has changed as well. I saw a segment on CBS news that had an olive orchard in Turkey split in half and basically become a canyon.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

In the 90s when lax building codes and corruption causes the Sampoong department store in South Korea to collapse, the public protested and called for investigations.

This resulted in engineering examinations of nearly every building in Korea built during the boom of the 70s-90s.

They found something like 75% were not up to code and made corrections.

I can only hope something like this happens in Turkey.... But I also don't have any confidence it will.

21. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    703B072B-4F47-4DDD-B8AE-DC0DFAFFFE4A.jpeg

A 4.3 at 4:30am, they said people in Dallas felt it, but I didn’t wake up.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    could be a higher end frack quake.

23. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    That would be my guess too.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  25. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I just saw that too. I really hope it’s not adding to the devastation they are already dealing with.

Juliet316 likes this.