main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Like I said before, the worst year for this to be an active hurricane season.

3. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Latest update has it coming right up my ass. I didn’t even know anything was out there and as my son turned off PS and engaged the tv back I just see this large cone covering the entire state of Louisiana.

joy..

must get food and gas and water in the coming days looks like.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering that two named storms happened before the official start of the hurricane season, I'm not optimistic.

Also, I suspect that there's going to be a major problem with financial assistance re: employees out of work due to storms - because there's already an existing but separate emergency unemployment assistance for COVID-19, which is unprecedented (The normal "Disaster Unemployment Assistance" for some reason didn't consider a disease pandemic to be a 'disaster', which is why they had to create a new one).

Pensivia, Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  5. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Goddamnit! Still no cone change today. It’s still way to far away so I wasn’t really expecting it to have changed but it would have been nice to see it going more eastward. I do hope it is able to soak Alabama and Florida to help that drought. Stay away from Lake Charles!

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    cristobal is getting shredded by sustained land interaction and dry air. high-end forecast has wind speed at 60mph, landfall in se louisiana. water temps in its path in the gulf are cooler (79 f) too.

rainfall and surge are always a concern for that area of the country, but the system is moving pretty quickly. not looking like a "big one" at this time. depending on water levels, could still be problematic.

Rew, Pensivia and Luke02 like this.
  7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Go East. I don’t want any of it.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe there'll be a miracle and it'll die out in Mexico.

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I don’t see that happening but it would be nice. It’s really gonna help out with the droughts over there as sithy as that sounds but I’m happy it’s tracking more eastward. Lake Charles is currently out of the possible center of circulation cone but we will still get some windage no doubt. I’ll just happy to be on the west side.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    not so much that the eye is tracking eastward of where it has been, it's just a lopsided and ragged system and the bulk of the rain is on the east side.

@PymParticles stay safe. looks like you'll get a bit of rain on the panhandle.

Pensivia likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Rew, Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I bet NOAA would like a bill to nuke Trump, I know I would.

@JEDI-SOLO and @PymParticles hope you’re both okay.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Thanks for the concern, but I'm out of harm's way! After graduating last year I moved from Tallahassee back home to the hurricane-free city of *checks notes* Miami.

PCCViking, Runjedirun, Rew and 4 others like this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/us/pge-pleads-guilty-camp-fire-california/index.html

pacific gas and electric has pled guilty to unlawfully starting the november 2018 camp fire, which devastated northern california, and faces 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

not one person will serve time, and maximum allowable fine from the state of california is around $3.5 million - although they are rightfully paying out the ass (to the tune of a $13.5 billion trust) to compensate victims' families and municipalities that were devastated. this is the third fire attributed to this company in three years.

MrZAP likes this.
  15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice little thunderstorm here in the Richmond VA suburbs, nearly took the gutter right off my mom's house
    [​IMG]

We took pictures because in this community she pays dues to have these things kept up for her and made a report. Hopefully this can be fixed soon, for the record though it was a crazy rain, even some small hail.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Runjedirun glad your mom is okay and you had the thought to take pictures.

@heels1785 holy crap, the third fire in three years? :(

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    so it's actually much, much more, lok.

1500 fires in 6 years have been attributed to this one company. three very big ones in the last three years - 2017 napa fires, 2018 camp fire, and kincaid fire in 2019.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pge-caused-california-wildfires-safety-measures-2019-10

the times did a study of them, as well - the graphics are irritating, but the information is good:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/18/business/pge-california-wildfires.html

can say from the east coast that only the worst fires are given even remote coverage here. believe there's one burning now, or was earlier this week - they're so common now that nobody bats an eye, and the only way i'd know is from my addiction to the weather channel.

MrZAP and Master_Lok like this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    BTW @heels1785 Happy National Flip-Flip Day!:p At least there's no snow around today.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]O:)You are never going to let him live that down are you?:p

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Toes are our friends. Flip-flops in snow are not being friendly to them.:p

heels1785 , PCCViking and Master_Lok like this.
  21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Really interesting what's going on with Saharan winds and dust in upper atmosphere at the moment. Will inhibit TS/Hurricanr activity for now but GFS hinting at something in GOM sometime around 6th to 8th July perhaps?

Have done a little video summing up the current situation.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I know I know about this event but it seems it is getting super coverage this year yeah? I’m in prime area for these sunsets on Gulf Coast but we are supposed to be getting soaked the next few days so I don’t see me being able to look at it.

23. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Holy heatwave Batman. I just looked up our 10 day forecast. It's going to be 97 on Friday and over 90 all but 2 days which show 88 and 89, with our usual summer humidity that should be, crazy. Flip flop weather for sure.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We've been in the 60s here in the London area - feels more like autumn.

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yikes... stay cool.

I think we’re upper 80s last I checked.

Juliet316 and Runjedirun like this.