main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I had long wanted weather like this here around Houston since moving down 25 years ago. I grew up on Long Island and Pittsfield, MA, and went to school near Rochester, NY (Geneseo) and also lived and taught snow-skiing in the Poconos. BUT, now that we had this weather, while it felt nice, I give it back. One busted pipe above our garage is enough to give me PTSD from this weather. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Never thought I'd say this living down here, but it's supposed to get to a balmy 37 degrees here today. That's T-shirt weather up north LOL.(the high on Monday was 22 and a low of 9 with wind chills hovering between 5 below and 5 above-OUTSIDE HOUSTON!!!)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Kiki Jinn and Rew like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Friend of mine lives in CT and his email says it's 25F with snow forecast for tomorrow.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Not a rolling blackout. Ice on line right here across the street like I feared but Entergy is already on the scene fixing it.

In the cold 33F pouring rain...

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  4. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    My brother there in Cypress has been mostly without power for 4 days now in the Longenbaugh/Fry Rd area.

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Can I just highlight how insane everything is in Austin right now?

we have been very fortunate to have power. No heat or water. There are MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WITHOUT POWER, HEAT, OR WATER in the middle of a week-long blizzard!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, just needed to scream for a second.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I know exactly where that is. That's right in the middle of the district my wife and I work in. That's pretty much on par with the district. We somehow made it through the day without losing power. Just waiting for the plumber to come for the water.

The whole situation in Texas is crazy. And the fact that so many have made it political is even worse. Taking the cheap way out of building homes and providing power has caused catastrophe for so many.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    blackmyron, Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What needs to be done is aid needs to be sent to Texas, no blaming, no questions, just help people out. Once people are comfortable again they can argue if they must. This certainly is a crazy weather year. We are having a real ice storm in DC right now. Saturday we had heavy sleet for hours, but this is freezing rain, could be ugly here very soon. Why can't it just snow?

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh sith...just got in the RV for 1st time in 5 days. Don’t look to good in there...yikes I don’t know if it’s a pipe or just melt water from damage chaulk.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Here in Dallas we have thus far escaped any house damage (TBD with the outside spigots), had occasional at best power until today and luckily no issues with outback water supply.
    But house temperatures in the 40’s, burning recycling paper in the fireplace, sleeping in triple layers of clothes under a triple layer of blankets, eating hot food only occasionally, working on my laptop with my fingers numb, wondering when the next influx of power to the house would be... all things I won’t miss.

Rew likes this.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    All of this has really put into perspective how I take for granted that I'm in a city/country that's usually prepared for this type of thing. I feel awful for everyone there. Hope you all are doing well and staying safe.

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    6 months has thrown: 2 hurricanes, 1 tropical storm and 3 winter storms (2 hitting 2 days apart) at me. That has been quite the trip.

Spring storms up next and sometimes those things are just straight up violent.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I know this will sound facetious or making light of a VERY serious situation, but when I had no heat/power for 4 + days years ago (arguably a bit warmer than Texas, but not warm), a down comforter and warm cat at my side kept me warm at night. It sounds like a regular "3+ dog night" down there - I feel so bad for everyone suffering.

Is there a "best way" to help out - money donations to the Red Cross?

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    As someone who is used to the kind of temperatures that Texas has gotten it's easy to laugh, but I don't find it particularly funny. After all we build our houses and infrastructure to manage these temperatures, which apparently is not the case in Texas. Also just looking at all the photos of frozen and burst water pipes just makes it scary to think about the cost of repairs.

16. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    That sounds truly awful. Here's hoping it's over quickly.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Man at the risk of sounding like an unsympathetic asshat for my neighbors in TX I’m beginning to more or less panic the crew that has been working for me and my neighbors are going to break our contracts. They are from San Antonio and Houston. How could we blame them for doing so to? It’s fresh and horrible and their HOME...

Im scared I won’t be back in mine full time for quite awhile longer now.

Just f man..

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Well my part of NJ got an additional 10 inches of snow on Thursday and Friday.

Thankfully Tommorow is forecasted to just be flurries very early switching to rain and mid 40's in temps all weeks so by my Dad's 70th birthday Saturday we should be completely snow free and tHe local reservoir off of swimming river road in lincroft should be overflowing which will be fun to see driving by it on by way to work

The only thing is the beaches the storms of the last month have furthered the already major issue of beach erosion we have been dealing with in my part NJ since I was in my teens

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    For the last couple of days, Cairns has been deluged with rain from a tropical low that just sat its big wet arse on top of us. Then it moved slowly out to sea and as predicted has now strengthened into a cyclone.

Cyclone Niran is currently a category 1 and is mooching about in the Coral Sea about 300 kms offshore. It's expected to strengthen to a category 3 and is predicted to move further out to sea.

Yesterday we were subjected to high winds, and for the first time during my tenancy, my rental agency issued a severe weather warning and advised tenants to take measures to protect their properties. Fortunately we didn't lose power, and this morning is calm. Long may it continue.

Go to http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml for a track map of the cyclone.

Rew likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Tornado just touched down ten miles away. It's too far away, but the storm causing it is heading my way..soooo could be some tornadoes later in my area.

Edit: ope my sirens went off. To the basement.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Stay safe!

Runjedirun likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bilbo Fett likes this.
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    looks like a nasty tornado string is forming up near the arkansas/tennessee border.

these last few weeks have been rough on the deep south/southeast, alabama and mississippi seem to have gotten the worst of it. hopefully not an indicator of another storm season like last year's.

JEDI-SOLO and Juliet316 like this.
  25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’ve said a few times here that spring storms are no joke. Watching those squall lines coming in can be nail biting. Really looking forward to the day this RV is out of the yard with them starting to come in. The one last week had me contemplating running inside the house as I sat awake from 3am to 8 am feeling the thing vibrate every gust.