main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Wedge Antilles? Guide to Improvisational Parenting (Wedge, Syal one-shot)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SweetPea, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    Hehe. Wes-induced doom. I like that. [grin]

Who doesn't? lol ;)

Seriously, I don't know why people like Wedge seem to think Wes-induced doom is a bad thing...:D

2. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    I haven't planned to do anything yet... But I am the virtual brother to the fiend, so I can't make any gaurantees.

And this is kind of late, but Ro, I detest the use of the word "helpless".

3. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    This story was cute and really funny at the same time. :D

I liked that he realized he wasn't lying. There's so many things we think on a regular basis without even realizing it, stuff that's so subconcious, so it was neat for Wedge to be able to figure out what he thought.

By the way, I definitely like the title. It's what caught my attention.

4. KnightedRogue

KnightedRogue Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    So sweet and adorable! :D

Truly an amazing viggie.

Humuff = humor + fluff. (I came up with the term for "Gurf Prince", and I'll loan it to whoever wants it . . . [face_laugh]

Great work!

*KR*

5. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

The boys naked bit was hilarious! Bloody youngsters.

Brilliant though.

6. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Woo-hoo! Second page! (Okay, okay...so I know half the posts are my responses. Don't burst my bubble, huh? :p)

Mara

Seriously, I don't know why people like Wedge seem to think Wes-induced doom is a bad thing...
    Yeah, I mean if you're going to be doomed, it might as be Wes-induced doom, right?

Valin

so I can't make any gaurantees
    Wow, look at that Jes-like disclaimer-speak! She's really bringing you along fast! :p

Solo_and_Fel

This story was cute and really funny at the same time
    Thanks! :)

I liked that he realized he wasn't lying. There's so many things we think on a regular basis without even realizing it, stuff that's so subconcious, so it was neat for Wedge to be able to figure out what he thought.
    Yeah. I think most of the time we don't really stop to look at what motivates us to act the way we do.

By the way, I definitely like the title. It's what caught my attention.
    *phew* You have noooo idea how much trouble thinking of a title was.

KnightedRogue

So sweet and adorable!

Truly an amazing viggie

Humuff = humor + fluff. (I came up with the term for "Gurf Prince", and I'll loan it to whoever wants it . . .
    "Humuff," huh? Hmmm...that also sounds like "hummus." I like. *raids kitchen for pita bread*

Cobranaconda

The boys naked bit was hilarious! Bloody youngsters.
    I have a...small...public speaking problem and everyone I talk to about it gives me the same picture everyone naked/in their underwear line. Let me tell you...it doesn't work.

Brilliant though.

Oh where oh where is Mag? :( DRL causing problems, I suppose.

7. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Yup. Mag was working on school-related stuff all day, and now she's watching tv :) Poor girl

8. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    Exactly...if you're doomed it might as well be fun and with a hot guy, er, um, I mean...[face_whistling]

9. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    My dear Spee

I have seen that you posted a story and I have not forgotten about you...
    give me a bit time and you will get your review :D

~Mag~

10. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Cute story. :) I can see why Wedge would cringe at the mention of Ewoks.

11. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Goopa! :D

I jerked my head up off my desk where I had fallen asleep on top of a stack of datacards. Blinking groggily, I looked over to the source of the interruption.

sleepy head Wedge? Or was his day with his precious three girls was sooo draining ;) :p [face_laugh]

?Ewoks,? she answered.

:D

me [face_love] Ewoks

Kriff.

[face_laugh]

My mind was still foggy from my unplanned nap. ?Of the Ewoks?? I asked confusedly.

[face_laugh]
    how could anybody be scared of the little furballs? :confused:

:p

on the other side there are some Imps to tell the different [face_laugh]

I held my arms out and let her climb up into my lap. ?Wellll...when I was nervous about my first briefing as head of the Rogues, your Uncle Wes suggested I picture everyone naked.?

what else should you expect from Wes? But is it a good desicion to tell a eight year old?

don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup

[face_laugh]

?Well, sweetie,? I started, ?whenever I?m about to do something really scary I think about all the people I love and who love me?like your mom, and you, and Myri. And then I think about how I know that you all believe in me and think I can do just about anything. And I think about how no matter what happens?even if I screw up really badly?that I will continue to love you and you will continue to love me. Then I know that no matter what happens, everything will be okay in the end.?

how sweet and how true :D

Then a funny thing happened. As I turned off the lights in her room and walked out the door, a sudden realization hit me. And it made me smile.

I hadn?t been lying after all.

aww

great work Spee

absolute wonderful caracterization of Wedge...
    it shows very good that he is capable to lead a group of flyjockeys but gets terrible nervous when he has to help his daughter with her problems.

I like the idea of Wedge daughter has to speak about Ewoks when Wedge is the first target of Ewok jokes :p ;)
    perhaps Wes should have helped Syal and not Mirax... the girly would have ended up with Kettch attending the speech :D

I am not very good in writing reviews :p

*yawns*

and it is rather late and I have still work left and I want to watch that TV show... and Jes had to wait a day longer for her review ( :) sorry for that, hon)

~Mag~

12. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    *Waving like a goofball*

Hi! Spee! [:D]

Just stopped by to see how ya'll are doing with out the old YodaRo around. Sorry, checking out retirement homes and pricing one of those motorized scooter thingies.....stocking up on Depends and whatnot...

Just thought you needed a wee little BUMP!!!!

*waving like an idiot again*

'Kay, bye! Gotta go quit my job now.... no, seriously, I'm gonna quit my job, I hate it THAT much. The only thing worth going in there for is the T-1 line (better than my poo poo dial up here).

So, okay, not EVIL Yoda per se, more like bootie kickin Yoda huh? Well, I suppose I can live with that (for now).

See ya later,

Ro

PS Valin you may resent being helpless but I resent being called a lady, so knock it off... :p [:D] [face_older_than_dirt]

13. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Spee, you're my hero.

That was incredible!

I'd quote my favorite parts, but a) I'm sure Mag already got them all :p and b) you've already posted the whole thing once, so there's no reason for me to post it all again. ;)

LOVED the reference to his first Rogue briefing - yes, that's something Wes would suggest and the consequences when Ackbar was there - oh, too funny. [face_laugh] Syal's reaction was priceless.

And even with the [amazing, spectacular, wonderful, etc.] fluff, it still had a great point and a great ending that really made me go "Whoa!" with the whole lying deal.

Fantastic job, and keep up the outstanding work! :D

14. SweetPea

Dec 8, 2004
    Jaya Solo

Cute story.

I can see why Wedge would cringe at the mention of Ewoks.
    Yeah, seriously...I would think something was wrong if he didn't :p

Mag

Goopa!
    What does that mean? Is it a good thing? See, for all I know you are sticking in random obscenities or insults in your reviews :p...maybe I should invest in a German dictionary. Sheesh.

sleepy head Wedge? Or was his day with his precious three girls was sooo draining
    My theory is that the datacards he was reading were reallllllly boring.

me [love] Ewoks
    Yes, we know-- Mag, Liberator of the Ewoks!

on the other side there are some Imps to tell the different
    Yeah, they're awfully good at throwing rocks, aren't they?

But is it a good desicion to tell a eight year old?
    All I know is people have been giving me that advice my entire life. (Don't try it. Doesn't work.)

absolute wonderful caracterization of Wedge...
    it shows very good that he is capable to lead a group of flyjockeys but gets terrible nervous when he has to help his daughter with her problems.

In my experience lots of dads who do all sorts of crazy things for a living still shake in their boots at the prospect of dealing with their children. Children are just scary, aren't they? :p

perhaps Wes should have helped Syal and not Mirax... the girly would have ended up with Kettch attending the speech
    Hehehe...at one point, I thought I should end the story this way-- what do you think?

As I turned to go, Syal said, "Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think you could ask Lt. Kettch to speak to my class?"

I am not very good in writing reviews
    What are you talking about! You are like the Review Queen!

Hope DRL lets up on you soon :)

Ro

no, seriously, I'm gonna quit my job, I hate it THAT much.
    Huh...should I start scouring the Post want ads for you? ;)

but I resent being called a lady
    Did you notice over in False Truths he called me old?

Just thought you needed a wee little BUMP!!!!
    Hehe. Thanks.

Nanner

Spee, you're my hero.
    [face_blush]

yes, that's something Wes would suggest and the consequences when Ackbar was there - oh, too funny. Syal's reaction was priceless.
    Hehe. I was waiting for someone to mention the Ackbar thing. I was afraid it had flopped.

a great ending that really made me go "Whoa!"
    Really? You went "Whoa!"? :p

Fantastic job, and keep up the outstanding work!
    I don't know if I'll be able to avoid it...did you notice the crazy plot bunnies people have hopping around here?

15. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Sep 5, 2004
    LOL That was great!!!!

My fav had to be the whole dontscrew up thing.

Great job!

16. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Beautiful job, loved the story. Ewoks.... *shakes head* poor, poor Wedge. :p And Luke's Force lesson... :oops: [face_laugh] I can soooo see those guys doing that. There are so many wonderful touches -- and Wedge is such a great dad. :) Very nice title too. ;) Well done!

17. carla

carla Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2004
    Great post! Love the story! Is really fine and well written, and Wedge characterization is flawless. An Syal was really cute, too.

?Ewoks,? she answered.

Kriff.

***yub yub, Commander!!! I was dying to write that!***

Wait. She?s still standing there. What could she??Oh! Uh...did...did you want to practice it for me??

***He he. Wedge?s kinda slow when he?s afraid, isn?t he?***

I held my arms out and let her climb up into my lap. ?Wellll...when I was nervous about my first briefing as head of the Rogues, your Uncle Wes suggested I picture everyone naked.? It was a disastrous suggestion. Five minutes in, I couldn?t take my eyes off of Ackbar, realizing I did not have an extensive enough knowledge of Mon Calamari anatomy to complete the exercise.

***Ew! Man, now that technique is ruined for me as well? maybe I should move my eyes over to Han?***

?Cleansing breaths. Right. And then what?? I said doubtfully.

Luke looked vacantly at a spot on the wall behind my left ear. ?Well, then...oh.? He frowned.

?What?? I asked impatiently.

?...then I stand on one hand and levitate objects with my mind.?

I walked to the other side of the room and started to bang my head against the wall.

?...but...I?m sure it?s just as effective if you skip that part.? he said encouragingly.

***He he he. That was just soooooooooo good!! I can picture that conversation happening to Luke.***

What could I tell her? How did I manage to keep my cool during those vital moments? Well...before the first Death Star run, as I was getting into my X-wing, I had been thinking

don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup

Okay. Probably not the best mantra to suggest to my daughter. All right, well, I had been young and immature then. What was I thinking the last time I got into my X-wing?

I?m too old for this.

***LOLRF***

Lie, Antilles. Lie like you?ve never lied before.

***He he. I wonder if my parents think that too whenever they give me a pep talk?***

18. Selina_Moonfire

Selina_Moonfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    This was soooo cute!

19. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Spee:

>Goopa! <
    What does that mean? Is it a good thing? See, for all I know you are sticking in random obscenities or insults in your reviews :p ...maybe I should invest in a German dictionary. Sheesh.

then much luck to find `Goopa´ in a German dictionary because you will not find it there... perhaps you should use instead a Ewok tongue one there you are luckier :D
    it means nothing else then `Hello´! No hidden insult or obscenities :D

>sleepy head Wedge? Or was his day with his precious three girls was sooo draining <
    My theory is that the datacards he was reading were reallllllly boring.

Yub Yub that would it be :D

>me [face_love] Ewoks <
    Yes, we know-- Mag, Liberator of the Ewoks!

:eek: got I just a title :eek:

:p !

>on the other side there are some Imps to tell the different <
    Yeah, they're awfully good at throwing rocks, aren't they?

Yub Yub!
    throwing rocks, sticks, stone and wood avalanges ... :p

>But is it a good desicion to tell a eight year old? <
    All I know is people have been giving me that advice my entire life. (Don't try it. Doesn't work.)

Hah!

>absolute wonderful caracterization of Wedge...
    it shows very good that he is capable to lead a group of flyjockeys but gets terrible nervous when he has to help his daughter with her problems. <
    In my experience lots of dads who do all sorts of crazy things for a living still shake in their boots at the prospect of dealing with their children. Children are just scary, aren't they? :p

thats true about the dads :D

>perhaps Wes should have helped Syal and not Iella... the girly would have ended up with Kettch attending the speech <
    Hehehe...at one point, I thought I should end the story this way-- what do you think?

As I turned to go, Syal said, "Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think you could ask Lt. Kettch to speak to my class?"

[face_laugh]

>I am not very good in writing reviews <
    What are you talking about! You are like the Review Queen!

[face_blush]

:eek: another title? :p !

:cool:

Hope DRL lets up on you soon :)

Me too!
    March 4th it is all over then I don?t stress myself so much and hopefully have more time :D

~Mag~

20. SweetPea

Dec 8, 2004
    FelsGoddess

Great job!
    Thanks!! :D

My fav had to be the whole dontscrew up thing.
    That was inspired by personal experience. I mean, not flying in an X-wing against a Death Star...the thinking "don't screw up." :p

Knight_Aragorn

Beautiful job, loved the story
    Thank you! :)

Wedge is such a great dad
    Yeah, I was hoping to get that point across somewhere in between the nakedness and the Ewok-fear...

carla

He he. Wedge?s kinda slow when he?s afraid, isn?t he?
    Yup. Hehe.

I can picture that conversation happening to Luke
    Poor Luke. He means well...:p

I wonder if my parents think that too whenever they give me a pep talk
    I know my mom does with me! :D

Selina_Moonfire

This was soooo cute!
    Thank you! Love your sig. :)

Mag

got I just a title
    I think so!!!

another title?
    Yup...you're on a roll :D

March 4th it is all over then I don?t stress myself so much and hopefully have more time
    Good luck til then!

21. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Fabulous! Particularly enjoyed the humor and the father-daughter relationship.

Wedge Antilles, what a hero! I love him, but he could so easily be brought down by an 8-year-old. After all, Wes is about that age, isn't he? :D

Favorites:

"Ewoks." ... Kriff.

don'tscrewup don'tscrewup don'tscrewup...

Lie, Antilles. Lie like you?ve never lied before.

You're very talented ... please keep writing!

22. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Clicked on this out of curiosity...

: ?Ewoks,? she answered. ... Kriff.

Figures :p

: ?Daddy, I?m scared.? ... ?Of the Ewoks??

[face_laugh]

: ?Dad, that?s gross.? Her voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. ?There are boys in my class.?

Hehehe... Cherish those short years, Wedge...

: I walked to the other side of the room and started to bang my head against the wall.

Well, if it works...

: don?tscrewup don?tscrewup don?tscrewup ... I?m too old for this.

Just like his head at that moment... the front, the back, and nothing in between!

: Lie, Antilles. Lie like you?ve never lied before.

That would have to be quite a whopper!

: I hadn?t been lying after all.

Awwwwwwww

23. SweetPea

Dec 8, 2004
    oldjedinurse- Wow, are you as old as YodaRo?

Wedge Antilles, what a hero! I love him, but he could so easily be brought down by an 8-year-old. After all, Wes is about that age, isn't he?
    Hehehe, yes. Poor Wedge, surrounded by children at work and at home... :p

You're very talented ... please keep writing!
    Thanks! Don't think I can avoid keeping writing...been fighting off plot bunnies with a stick. :)

arin_atona--

Hehehe... Cherish those short years, Wedge...
    Hehehe. Can you imagine Wedge grilling guys that Syal brings home? Hehe. OMG, plot bunny!

That would have to be quite a whopper!
    Now really. Wedge doesn't lie...he...uh...bends the truth. :p

Thanks for clicking, guys! :)

24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Adorable! It's great to see Wedge facing the dangers of parenthood. [face_love] :p

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Community Squirrel Whisperer star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    How dumb of me would it be to leave it til the night before?? -- She's sure not like my daughter! LOL! That was quite delightful... he seemed like such a real, down-to-earth kind of guy. Loved how at the end, he realized he hand't been lying to her. Wonderful viggie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.