main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Wedge, Porkins, and the Rebel Fleet / Squadrons

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by akrunner, Oct 1, 2015.

1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    With the shot of Red 5, RO's Porkins... there really wasn't a spot for Porkins in this one.

If you show Porkins doing some heroic flying, it changes how you perceive him in ANH... I'm glad they left it alone.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If they had kept the scene of the TIE Fighter confronting Jyn on the antenna platform, Porkins should have been the one to shoot it down before it could kill her.

Rogue69 likes this.
  3. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Can't. Everyone on the planet side of the Planetary Shield died.

Dak Oolron and JamieH like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge, title updated

5. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I was wondering this too and I tried tweeting to Pablo what was up with Wedge. And Porkins was at the Battle of Scarif according to Wookiepedia.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Squadron_(Rebel_Alliance)

Maybe Wedge will be in the corresponding Rebels episode? Maybe he's there at Yavin and has to go on a side mission or something in the Rebels episode?

6. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Wedge is in there, at least his voice is.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am glad Wedge's voice is there. Honestly if we do another Rebellion film I want a Wedge recast and him to be one of the leads. As much as I love Wedge as played by Dennis we already have had 3 actors play him in the films alone. I do want his recast to also be a British guy who occasionally loses the American accent. That would be great.

8. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

that should be the canon explanation going forward

vncredleader and Riven_JTAC like this.
  9. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Why not have an Anthology film that takes place during the sequel trilogy or just before it, then we can have a Wedge film with Lawson playing him. I'm sure he would say yes if it was a starring role.

DL44Jo likes this.
  10. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    So, after my third theater viewing :p, was able to pick up a little more--

The film shows 5 y-wings swooping in and getting ready to attack the star destroyer. You hear Gold Leader say "Hit that opening!", and then it cuts to a female pilot informing everyone that she is launching ion torps.

So at the end of the day, I guess it's not answered whether or not Gold Leader is actually leading the attack, or giving an order from afar??

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    big Wedge fan here.
    I know Wedge is heard over the intercom or more like his voice actor is, but is there a reason why he's doing an intercom job? Is it because of the whole he broke his leg thing? Or they didn't want CG him in the battle?

Huttese 101 and vncredleader like this.
  12. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    wedge was supposed to appear in TFA but the actor wanted a big role instead of a cameo so ... no Wedge.

Im guessing that they didnt go to ask Wedge for this film.

13. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    As someone pointed out, Wedge's comment "look at the size of that thing" suggests he's never seen it before. And given that the Death Star would have been kinda hard to miss when it showed up at Scarif it makes sense for Wedge not to be there.

Also its pretty clear from the battle footage that only a handful of ships escaped before Vader comes out of hyperspace, so much like Luke takes the position of Red 5 (nice nod by the writers to include the death of the former title holder), Wedge, Biggs, Porkins and others may not have been members of Red Squadron at the time of Scariff, but added to re-populate the squadron after they returned in the same way Luke was.

Rather than say Red Leader, 4, 8 11 and 12, with Yelow 3, 5, 7 and 9, they just merged whatever pilots they could find to fill out Red and Gold Squadrons and threw that at the Death Star. Not like they had much time to sort things out in the couple intervening days.

Huttese 101, Bardan_Jusik and Sarge like this.
  14. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

15. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Or Biggs.

Thread tl;dr in case he's already been mentioned. But he was the first one I thought of.

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The voice of Wedge is there, but Wedge himself CAN'T be their as his first view of the Death Star happens in ANH, so that would be a HUGE story hole!

"Look at the size of that thing!" Wedge Antilles

Biggs also can't be there, as he's known to be on Tatooine still at the time of the battle.

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I will argue that it would not be a HUGE story hole. There are plenty of ways around it. He left before the DS showed up, he was to far away, he was so far away that while he had seen it he had yet to see it up close and was surprised by just how big it really was, he was there but behind other ships and never saw it or had docked in a capital ship by that point. It is not a hole if he is there.

DL44Jo likes this.
  18. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    It's not a plot hole either way. The whole battle started out with Jyn and the others basically deciding to just go ahead and attack Scarif anyway. Then a little bit later, Ackbar's crazy uncle did the exact same thing... and then a little bit after THAT, more Rebels also turned up. It wasn't a very well organised plan as these things go, so if one or two pilots got left behind or didn't get involved then it's probably just a case of them not being in the right place at the right time and nothing else.

19. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Its not a "huge" hole if he's there. Theoretically he may just never have noticed the giant moon thing appear but it does strain credulity that he could have missed that popping up over the horizon especially as other ships were commenting about it over the comms. Sure it can be overwritten by having him in a dogfight on the other side of the ... um....what was the command ship called? ... and just couldn't see it. But it is less logical.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  20. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Maybe he's the Father Dougal of Star Wars and just didn't realise as it was far away?

"This Death Star is SMALL, but that Death Star is FAR AWAY" ;)

21. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Perhaps he was there all along but at this this stage in his career he was not overweight.

22. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Considering the Battle of Scarif and the Death Star Battle are just days apart... I doubt it.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE, AND TITLE CHANGE.

24. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Have to admit I never knew Denis Lawson was redubbed by a different actor in ANH!

Question for Rebels fans - does Ankrum voice him in that show? Seems a missed opportunity if he doesn't!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

25. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    EviL_eLF that was never stated in the movie,. For all we know the Devastator is pursuing Tantive IV for years and it is not known to the Grand Moff Council that Leia is on that ship until years later.