main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Weekly reviews and thoughts for The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ky-Wan, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    So the first episode appeared here locally.

AMBUSH:

I enjoyed it, I liked that it focused on Yoda and had lots of his quirks in there from TESB. Such as the 'hmm's and little laughs. His theme was very much a central theme during this show. How even though the Toydarian King was a neutral planet he still sided witht he Republic and had faith in Yoda, which during the Clone Wars is nice as there is a lot of anti Jedi movement spreading during this time.

It was great to watch it much like I did with Droids or Ewoks and have something to look forward to everyweek, Really is nice to see. You learn some appreciation for the clones as well, seeing that they're not always these mindless yes men and that they do exist in the Force to a Jedi and it makes it that much more tragic when they commit to order 66.

The small duel with Ventress and Yoda was great, I love it when he puts people in their place such as Dooku in AOTC. And the civilities between Dooku and Yoda. A nice start off to the season.

I didn't like the droids, the humor is nice but in bits and piecies. Not so Jar Jar over the top all the time.

So others thoughts, lets make this a weekly thing and if possible maybe we can meet at soemones house and watch it every week, have some snacks etc.

7/10

By the way all the past episodes can be seen at sw.com

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'd like that. If anyone's willing to host I could try and stop by when I'm not working, which is unfortunately going to be pretty often nowadays.

But I'll be there when I'm in town. :)

3. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Just a few of my own thoughts on the series thus far:

I like that the planet design of Toydaria was a little different, but it was a little too similar to Saleucami or Felucia. It's great that it's not another earth-like planet. Liked seeing Yoda, the wise Jedi mentor, and not Yoda, that distant, unapproachable guru we see in the prequels.

Good on the clones, but could be better. I read a lot of the Karen Traviss stuff, so if you have that level of familiarity with clones then these guys feel pretty stiff. At least at this point in the war they're starting to differentiate themselves by trying to look unique.

I agree with Jay. The droid humour is a bit much, but you gotta keep in mind that these episodes are meant more for kids. So I guess that also applies to everything I've said thus far. If I were 10 when this came out I would be absolutely blown away, but otherwise it's a good little dose of Star Wars every week.

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    It wasn't Toydaria it was a Neutral Moon they met on. If it was Toydaria I would have thought meeting the king it would have been at a palace or something like that.

I loved seeing Yoda kick butt. Ventress looked amazing. I loved when Yoda pulls her sabers from her, Scolds her, then throws them back, asking for a surrender.

5. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    Good point. I liked the whole Yoda down to earth and still just amazing in warfare. The pacing was nice and the overall feel of the show was well done as well.

6. SHAAK_GG

SHAAK_GG Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2005
    Episode 1: Ambush

Great way to start the Clone Wars series. Yoda was so awesome the entire episode. I can't decide what was cooler, him taking out the Droid army or putting Ventress in her place.

My favorite part was when Yoda was talking to the Clones in the cave. The way they show the Clones in this show is great.

I thought the design of the planet was a little blan, if not bad. It looked 2D at times.

8/10

Episode 2: Rising Malevolence

Welcome back, Anakin and Ahsoka. Pretty good episode. The weapon the Separtists were testing is very interesting.

I liked the part when Plo Koon and the Clones are fighting on top of the escape pod, but how did they get out there? Wouldn't leaving the pod mean opening a hatch that would affect the other Clone inside? But whatever, it was still neat to see the battle-in-space.

I am not a fan of Plo's voice. I always imagined him as a real sharp talking badass, not an old professor sounding guy.

My favorite part was when Grievous and Dooku stare each other down at the end. I thought that was really cool.

7/10

7. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    Episode 2: Rising Malevolence

A nice follow up to the first episode. I like that Anakin has gone back and somehow gotten the old Twilight frieghtor up and running. I really liked the parts about Ahsoka disagreeing withthe Council and being very Anakinish in vocally disobeying and of course seeing Anakin tell her one thing and do another is something were pretty used to seeing.

The weapon used by the CIS was intresting too and some nods this episode as wlel to the Death Star Laser as well as a few quotes such as 'No that's not it. This one goes here, that one goes here.'

I didn't really enjoy Plo Koons voice, I was expecting something like a kinder Grevious but it works for this style of a show I suppose. I agree with you Jarrett, how did they get up there with nothing we saw happening to the clone?

I liked the tense moment when your wondering if the CIS ship is gonna spot them after they powerdown. Nice to see Dooku/Tyranus on the front lines more with this series, not always on some other world and in a Holoform.

Somne nice Master Padawan moments both between Anakin and Obi-Wan and Ahsoka and Anakin

7/10

8. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    The next episode is called Shadow of Malevolence: With the help of his Padawan Ahsoka and Jedi Master Plo Koon, Anakin utilizes new long-range Y-wing bombers to lead a bold strike on General Grievous' warship, the Malevolence, and its destructive weapon.

Sounds good.

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I was wondering when we'd see the Y-Wing come into play. I hope they don't wreck continuity by saying it flies really well. Everyone knows the Y-Wing manuevers like a dead Hutt ;)

10. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Shadow of Malevolence is a great episode. Lots of great one liners. The y-wings were great and no they don't handle like a top notch fighter. Seeing a Kaminoanin this episode is really cool as well. Keep an eye out for the 4 legged gonk droid in the hanger. can't wait to see episode 4.

11. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    I actually already saw this episode on You Tube but am still looking forward to seeing it this sunday

12. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    I watched Rising Molevolance on YouTube and then it was taken down by Cartoon Network. Same thing must have happened to Shadow of Molevolance as I cannot locate it on YouTube.

13. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    makes sense

oh well wait till Sunday or Friday

14. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    At least the new Smallville episodes aren't taken down LOL. :D

15. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    *shudder*

16. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    New episode tomorrow night woohoo!

17. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Episode 3: Shadow of Molevolance

It was my least favorite of the other two, but still good. I loved the part when the Battle Droid said "I have a bad feeling about this.". What a classic line!

18. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Oh crap, I just remembered it's Sunday. Man days kinda blur together up here...

19. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    Shadow of Malevonance

Pros, Y-Wings. Nice to see these though they seem slightly faster then they should be, mind ya if they're new....older ships that are newer like an x-wing just might be fasters then Jedi Starfighters.

I agree it wasn't a super great episode, but there was some nice moments where you see the clones as people rather then simple fodder. Anakin gets frustrated at loosing troops which of copurse helps spew him on his dark way.

Cons. Droid humor....it's starting to really irk me. I know it's there for kids but...not great. Also Ahsoka seemed kinda whiny this episode which is odd as she's usually quite spry.

Overall a nice episode but not as good as the past two, though the last scene of anakin watching out the hanger window as he usually does later as Vader was a little nice touch of even though he's animated this is still the future Darth Vader

5/10

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Watching tonight's episode right now. It's pretty good so far. Lots of the big three (Ani, Obi & Padme). Lots of good action, the droids aren't quite as over the top, at least so far.

21. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    "Destroy Malevolence"- 7/10

I liked it. A very enjoyable episode. The Droids had a couple moments, but I am still enjoying them.

The next episode is called "Rookies", and it brings back everyones favorite badass from the Clone Wars movie- Captain Rex. :D

22. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    'Destroy Malevonance'

Ok so were wrapping up this giant death star ship tale.

Things I liked, the confrontation between obi-wan and grevious and the 'hello there' that grevious says, something obi-wan will return to quoting in rots.

Droids were about the same, some funny reactions to the jedi and such, also seeing padme and anakin, have a nice moment or two which is nioce, c-3po and r2 are also doing their usual shhtic.

Things I didn't like Ashoka sitting this one out. I reall ythink that since she is not a character we see so far after this series we need to focus more on her and anakin though seeing soem good old anakin and obi-wan action was nice again too.

soem lightsaber action as wlel between grevious and obi-wan. Also a nice treat of seeing luminara unduli in there.

dooku getting frustrated with grevious at the end shows us some possible glimpses into future episodes.

over all better then last weeks we'll go 7/10

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Now we see why he was so willing to sacrifice Grievous in RotS. ;)

24. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Ah yes, I forgot about that scene. It was great!

25. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    Rookies

Ok nice action here, good pacing new droids and some nice homages to the OT with the death star lighting and panneling bunker. The little Jabba palace doid guard thing was nice

I liked that we dealt with clones and I like that death is not a word that is forbidden in these shows, people and characters can die.

the clones saying roger roger was a nice touch too, as well as the clones watching the dance holonet channel. A better episode

8/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.