main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome FF-UK Midlands to your very own boards!

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Jairen, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangofett9

jangofett9 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2004
    mmmm opal fruits/.....good memories.....until they became starburst...what was that about?

2. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Mmmm Opal Fruits... made to make your mouth water!

3. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    my GOD! WHAT ARE YOU BLOKES LIKE? The midlands forum has turned into a issue of Bella or something

4. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    We really are just simple folk... o_O

5. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Simple seems to sum it up which ever way you take it.

Anyway Mark take your 'I'm overweight, I live with my parents, I'm not a catch' over to Phills advice thread where I'm sure you'll be put straight.

6. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, I have to go along with on the Pants thing there - Let's all get it clear, Pants are what Superman wears on the outside of his tights. Pants are not jeans, trousers, etc... :)

As for the Marathon - actually that's just a British thing, as the "Marathon" has been known as Snickers all over the world for many, many, years. So, really, that's just the British being awkward there calling it something different. o_O

7. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Yes !

Look we invented everything that's any good, the Marathon was first produced In Slough, which if I'm not mistaken is in BRITAIN or more to the point ENGLAND, so I think we're allowed to be just weenie bit awkward about stuff.

Bloody colonials ! 8-}

8. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Actually, Martin, I've been doing a bit of research, and have found that the "Snickers" bar was actually first introduced in 1923 (without the chocolate covering) and was named Snickers after the Mars families favourite horse. In 1930 it was then mass-produced with the bar covered in chocolate, and it cost a nickel (5 cents). In fact, Mars Inc. itself is not British, but was founded in Tacoma, Washington by Frank and Ethel Mars in 1911 when they first made a Milky Way -- Which is what we call a Mars Bar (although, we called what we know as a Mars Bar, a Mars Bar in Australia, too...It looks like we are both guilty on that score!) - I couldn't find out when the UK branch of Mars Inc. started calling the Snickers Bar a Marathon Bar.

I also found that a Marathon Bar in the states is actually a Curly Whirly over here, and was around in the 70's, but was discontinued due to poor sales.

So, the upshot is, Snickers was invented in America and was sold around the world as Snickers, but was named in the UK as a Marathon for unknown reasons until 1990 when it was changed for global continuity. What we know as a Mars Bar is called a Milky Way in the United States, and what we know as a Milky Way is actually called 3 Musketeers (and that used to be called a Mars Bar!) in the United States.

Confusing, I know. But, that's the deal! :)

9. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    that told you Martin :p

10. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    All this talk about chocolate!!!!!

*Grabs a handful of Lindt's Truffles* :D

11. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Aahhhh! Stick it in your ear you frelling Limey!!! :p ;)

12. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    i feel sick!

*looks around; spots beer:runs to beer; drinks beer*#

thats better

13. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    You shouldn't be drinking...Not old enough! :p

Back to school with you! :D

Thread Status: