main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton **********Welcome New Members Thread***********

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Indigo_Jade, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Well hopefully we piqued the interest of a few new people today at the Toy and Comic Show, so for those people, here is a place to just say "Hello" if you got here and are wondering "Okay I'm here, now what do I say?"

So please feel free to introduce yourself!!! :)

Indy

2. DarthBC

DarthBC Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2004
    Hi Im from Cranbrook , i think 8hrs from edmonton and 4 from calgary . I feel alone for my star wars passion here in cranbrook. All i have is walmart and Zellers , and they have nothing .I made a trip to lethbridge toys r us and i couldnt find anything even in toys r us. ANYWAYS . I am supremely jealous you guys had a toy show there , had i have of known i wouldve been there , what did you guys have there ? Is anybody into costume/prop building here?

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I didn't think there was as much selection there as last year, personally. Mostly collectible toys, lots of star wars stuff and comics.

There's threads on costuming here and here. As for props some guys here collect the master replicas sabers and stuff.

4. The_Internet

The_Internet Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    hi.
    starwars is neato.

5. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Heya. You from the Edmonton area?

6. The_Internet

Mar 19, 2004
    ya i'm from e-town.
    i'am also a guy.
    i chose that as an av cause that girl is mad hot.
    what do we do around here?

7. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    All sorts of things. We have get togethers. Go see movies. Go chill at peoples houses and watch movies, have dinners. Uhhh, we used to have a games night where we'd all get together once a week to play board games and just hang out. Some of us are into costuming so we dress up at halloween and at cons.

Some of us have Jedi robes, like me. A few even have stormtrooper armour and a couple have darth vader costumes.

8. The_Internet

Mar 19, 2004
    i dont have any costumes, i have a star wars sweater i bought in like grade nine but it doesnt really fit cause i've gained so much, uhh 'muscle'.

I have a couple of star wars board games, as i collect board games in general. You guys probally play the hard core RPG's. I've never really gotten into that stuff though for a period in the late nineties i had the a couple of the handbooks.

What kind of movies do you see, does it have to be sci fi and fantasy in general? or can it be anything?

do you guys ever play 'epic duels'?

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    We LOVE Epic Duels. That's what we used to play on games nights. We even have a drinking version of it. :D

We're also into the RPG and we meet on occasion to play that but only about 5 of us are into it.

We'll see anything that looks interesting or if there's enough people willing to see it. Last thing we all saw together was 'School of Rock' in the cheap theater at WEM. I'm also trying to get a group together to go see 'Dawn of the Dead on the weekend of the 2nd. We'll talk about anything on the boards and when we get together. Not just Star Wars or sci-fi. Where you at the Toy and Comic show last weekend? You may have seen some of us there.

10. The_Internet

Mar 19, 2004
    I've pretty much worn out my first box of epic duels, like literally the cards are wearing and ripping. Luckily i bought 2 more copies :) but really, i think i'll just tape the sides of the cards up or laminate them or something.

Ya i came late to the mayfeild so i didnt see you guys there but i HEARD about you. My brother said that he talked to someone (in costume) and they gave him this website so i thought i'd check you kids out.

Anyway i was reading in the star wars insider this month about what kind of fan you are, i guess i'd have to say i'm a "movies, some comics, toys and weird collectibles" fan. I dont read the novels or comics, i dont really even play the video games (unless i can get my hands on anything for super nintendo) but i really love the movies and have gone pretty nuts with buying toys.

11. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm into pretty much everything except maybe the ccg. I like the toys, I think I'll get into collecting them some more since I only have a few, I'm also really into the books. I have almost every one and I'm just starting my RPG sourcebook collection. I'm trying to collect the comics but it gets expensive and there's just too many. I'm also pretty big into the video games. Shadows of the Empire and KOTOR (knights of the old republic) are two of my top all-time favorites.

Check out the website. There's not much there right now but we're hoping to change that soon. Right now there's a little bit of fan-fiction and some pictures from past events (including some from the first toy & comic show).

EDIT: We should see if we can get this thread made 'sticky'...

12. The_Internet

Mar 19, 2004
    I havent touched the CCG, but i am getting really curious about it and toys are us ussually has 2 starters deck for wicked cheap so i am thinking of buying it and trying it out, but i dont think my friends would be into it.

Its cool that there is a little circle of dedicated fans, do you guys ever take advantage of the fact that you are all kind of 'on the same team' and stuff? like taking turns camping out for tickets and stuff?

13. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    We weren't actually formed when the last movie came out so we all did our own thing but this year we're organizing a trip to Celebration 3 and we'll definetly do something for the movie next year :)

14. The_Internet

Mar 19, 2004
    what exacly goes on at celebration?
    i've been reading about it for a while, do you think i could meet some girls there?

15. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    It's huge convention. There's celebrities, all sorts of things for sale and a whole lot of people in costume. It's going to be the last one so I'm definetly going for sure.

16. The_Internet

Mar 19, 2004
    i bet it wont acctually be the last one, lukas will find a way to re-edit it and add a cg Jabba the hutt.
    And somehow next years party will be a prequel.

17. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Welcome to the boards!!!

I agree with you on that one, I doubt that this will be the last "Celebration"... G.L. will probably have one for the 30th anniversary of Star Wars in 2007, then he will probably find some excuse in 2009 (10 year of TPM perhaps?) and so on... Celebrations will never die until he stops making money from them... or we stop loving Star Wars, and THAT will never happen!!!

Even if G.L. doesn't endorse it, I am sure that there will be more "Celebrations" even if they aren't official.

18. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Cele-con??? That sounds like some kinda medication :p

19. The_Sith_Invader

The_Sith_Invader Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2004
    Hey all! I ve been reading the boards for a little while now and just recently joined. Hmm... what else to say? Its a relief to be able to finally get the chance to know people that are SW fans in the area 'cause all of my friends and family have zero interest in it-I feel like I am talking to brick walls with them :p I also have started to collect Master Replica props. which is great but damn expensive with the exchange rate :mad:

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Welcome to the boards Sith! :)

21. furhead16

furhead16 Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2004
    Hi. I just posted a message up there somewhere...I guess I overlooked this thread. Oops! So yeah, I'm 18, I'm in Fort McMurray, but I will be moving to Edmonton in september, and attending Taylor University and living on campus (in the south). Anyone here live in the south of Edmonton, or go to Taylor? That would be pretty cool. Anyways, later days.

22. redeyekho

redeyekho Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    Welcome aboard Furhead. I hope you will find your move from Fort McMurray to Edmonton to attend Taylor University a most enjoyable one. Perhaps one day we'll meet up :)

23. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Hey John, is there any way of making one of these welcome threads sticky at the top?

24. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    Hello -

I've been living just outside Edmonton for nearly a year now...and I just found this. [face_blush] It looks like fun, and I'd be interested in meeting you all. I'm 18, and will start my second year of university at Grant MacEwan this fall. Anyone else attending Grant Mac?

Sadly, I have no costumes, and very little in the collectors area. I express my obsession through frequent viewings of the movies, listening to the soundtracks, and fan fiction.

And Celebration III - the very thought excites me. However, I have absolutely no money, so I won't be going :(

'cause all of my friends and family have zero interest in it-I feel like I am talking to brick walls with them
    [face_laugh] I understand Sith_Invader. My family's the same way, and my only friend who'll listen for any amount of time to my SW rambling has gone home for the summer!

:confused: What's epic duels?

25. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Welcome to our happy little group!

We are having a costume meeting/get together this Wednesday at Starbucks in Chapters at West Edmonton Mall at 6:00 p.m. You are more than welcome to come out and meet us. Have a look at the Costume Meeting thread for more details.

One of the others can explain Epic Duels to you as I don't play it...but in short it is a Star Wars board game that some of the group gets together and plays.

It's always suggested that newcomers come out to a few of our public place meetings before coming to something like a games night. So come out when you can and introduce yourself!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.