main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

***Welcome Newbie Party*** Come for the Brownies, Stay for the Conversation

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Other than dodging tornados, hail and lightning, I'm okay. How about yourself?

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

May 20, 2008
    Dealing with the last few weeks of my college term and a crappy home internet connection.

3. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Still dealing with the death of one of my closest friends. It's been over a month, and I woke up this morning with the perfect words for him. Scribbled it down, then went to my mum and dad, and bawled my eyes out. *sigh*

At least I know I'm not cold to it, which is how I sometimes feel between my fits of crying.

Wow. Did I just bring everyone down? If so, I'm sorry. It's actually a good thing... I haven't been able to find the right words, and it was a relief to write it down. It's just so hard to know that he's gone.

Other than that... I'm writing my Wedge/Iella fic. I think I can get the angst down pat today.

4. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Sorry to hear that, Katana. [:D]

5. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
  6. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks D_G... And D_G... :p

[:D] For Darths, you're sweethearts...

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
  8. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Katana, don't worry, you're not cold. Everyone grieves different. This just shows that we are unique. So it's your own way to grieve for your friend. Go your way and don't think about what others might expect. [:D]

This being said... [:D] I'm sorry to hear about your loss! [:D]

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    And everyone grieves differently for different people. Having also lost a close friend four years ago, it took me at least a year, if not two, until I was actually able to discuss it without tearing up.

One of the things that got me through it was keeping his cellphone number in my contacts list. Just seeing it there brought some comfort. That suggestion was given to me by another person, so I'm passing it on.

[:D]It may take time, and really, the hurt may never truly go away, but after a while, it will lessen.

10. RosemundHurt

RosemundHurt Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2011
    Oh Katana, I'm so sorry to hear that :( crying is a good release I always think, better to let it all out than keep it bottled up [:D]

11. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I've lost several friends over the years. The first one died right in front of me after gym class in 8th grade. 13 years old is too young.

12. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    [:D] Thanks everybody. I know everyone grieves differently, but the thought still crosses your mind. But all your words of kindness help, so thank you. [:D]

And Gangrenous, I am so sorry to hear that. That could not have been easy for you.

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Very sorry to hear about your loss, Katana.

It's been said already but everyone grieves differently. So do what you have to do, no matter what other people say. :)

I've been called cold-hearted so many times because I rarely cry. I hardly show anyone what I truly feel. When my sister died, I didn't shed a single tear. Not one. My family...wow. They were more hurtful towards me than they were helpful trying to get through the difficult time.

So it doesn't matter how you grieve, just do it for yourself and you'll be alright. [:D]

I find myself in a predicament.

I've been out of job since February. I got my old job back now. It's a step backward. [face_plain]

And I'm not happy about it. See, other people would be screaming yay and hallelujah to have their job back but me? Not so much.

Cuz dammit, I do not want to go back there. I hated the job, still do but because money is very very scarce these days, I don't have a choice.

I'm beyond annoyed.

I'm frickin' pissed. [face_plain]

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I understand what you mean and it sounds like writing more applications. :( Hopefully one of those will be successful soon, so you don't have to think about your old job. [face_good_luck]

Katana, it's nice to hear that these words helps you a little bit. Re-read them whenever you need. [:D]

15. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks Ceillean. [:D] Sometimes tears just won't come. I'm sorry it was so tough for you, and that your family made it worse.

And thanks Skiara. [:D] I certainly will keep these words close.

Ugh. Jobs and job hunting. That is something I hate with a passion. There were certain jobs that I was SO PLEASED to be fired from - they were awful. I'd certainly hate to go back. Here's hoping you find a better one in the near future, Ceillean.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been on a perpetual job hunt for local grunt work for a while, and with the summer coming, I'm on the lookout for a temp position. Though, considering I lack reliable transportation and that in-demand nursing degree and subsequent training, it's been a pretty disappointing market around here. I may just give up and work on my portfolio, get that sent out to Topps, and hope for the best.

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The general job situation/market still sounds problematic. :( I really wish it would be different.

Trak, what does TOPPS stand for? I think I knew that appreviation once, but I forgot the meaning...

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I only know Topps as the card company that makes baseball cards and the Star Wars Galaxy cards. Hence why I wanna get a portfolio to them, so I can draw cards for the latter.

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Outch! Somehow I forgot about those cards and thought about some other company stuff. :oops: Thanks for explaining! :)

Good luck for your portfolio! [face_good_luck] :)

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, no problem. Two Topps Sketch Card artists have seen my work and suggested I go that route, so that's the new plan. It'd be a good way to get into the business and get accustomed to crazy deadlines without diving head-first into the deep end.

Anywho, still on the crutches. Foot's healing, slowly but surely. I still have a dark bruise around my toes, not sure how long it will take for that to go away, and my foot gets puffy every now and then, but it's healing.

So, how're things on your end?

21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    May the FOrce be with you, Trak.

My mouth is burning! [face_spontaneous_combustion] :p

EDIT:Wow! Tim Zahn actually replied to my comment on his facebook page. :eek:

22. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    well, Thats great ^^

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Healing? Cool! How long do you think until you think you can walk almost normal again? :)

Yeah, some artist are really nice when it comes to replying. Once I sent an email to a musican asking something about their song and I really got back a very nice and long answer by the original musican - not the agency, which I had expected. Ok, the musican wasn't one of the current top ten or so, so it might be because of that and having a bit more time, but it's still really cool! And shows that some musicans are still normal people. :)

Nothing big on my end. Bought an electronical thing and how can it be different? It's partly broken (as usual when I buy electronical stuff *sighs*). Usually I wouldn't hesitate to send it back/in, but I need it in only a few weeks (for which I actually bought it in the first place) and since I had bad experiences about 'yes, no problem, you'll get it back in one week', which lasts some months in the end, I'm really hesitating, since the rest of it works and as long as the rest stays in working mode, I can still use it - not as comfortable as it should be, but the most important functions are there. So what do to now? Not sure...

24. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    You've got mechanical troubles, Skiara? What did you buy, anyway?

25. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Sep 5, 2004
    [:D] Do what you need to do to heal, Katana. It sounds like you have a good support system.

Ceil, good luck with the job hunt. It's so hard out there. Hope you hear something positive soon!

Well, this has been an annoying week. I had a bad skin reaction to some new lotion. It started to go away, and then another rash appeared. This one is different. I woke up this morning with swollen lips. The top is bigger than the bottom. I look like Daffy Duck. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.