main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Welcome - the introduction thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    It's been a while since we've had a standard introductions thread. We've had some new faces swing through as of late, and figured it's time we get re-acquainted with one another.

I'm Tragic Lad, one of the Toronto City Reps.
    In 1999, I came across this group of people in Torono planning a several week long line for Phantom Menace. "You're nuts!" I told them "Crazy as a soup sandwich!" It was the kookiest thing I'd ever heard of. Lining up that long for a movie.

One week later I was part of the lineup's organizing committee.

When I'm not working the day job or lining up for inordinately long periods of time for blockbuster films, I whip up the odd doodle or two.

So....
    who are you?

2. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    I'm Jedi Sheridan. My name is James. I am a kid from Kingston who in 97 moved to whitby. I joined the Toronto Long Line forum after Episode 1. I was glad to meet so many Star Wars fans from the GTA. Currently I am in Welland outside of Niagara Falls and Saint Catherines, at Niagara College studying film (yeah its not the best college but their film program is growing and it won't be long till it is one of the best)

Otherwise, I am 19, Single, I love Movies, dogs and kids. My fave character is R2 and I hope to be remembered as a good person when I die.

3. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I am Darth2-D2, in real life I am Dan Duggan. I live in Downsview but work as a Security Guard in Downtown Toronto. Before that I lived and worked in willowdale. I moved from Vancouver 2 and half years ago. I lived all over the lower mainland British Columbia for four years. Working as a security guard for 2 of those and a volunteer in a community centre for all of it. My home town is Sault Ste. Marie Ontario where there is little to no jobs. last month I wandered out of fan fiction and found the toronto long line. this fall I plan on bussing it to Newfoundland becuase I have never been there and I have been the other way on bus twice.

4. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I suppose I should drop in and introduce myself as well.

I'm David though I also go by TheGrandePoobah online.

Back in early 1999: My mother brough a newspaper article to my attention. It was an article from the entertainment section of the Star about plans for a very long line up for Episode I. From this article I found the first forum back on Countingdown.com and started to post a little bit and follow the plans. This line sounded like a neat idea and I knew I'd have a fair bit of free time come May...

May the 5th: I drag a friend of mine (Krax) down to the kick off for this line... meet a whole bunch of neat folks and end up staying... not all the time like some, but I ended up haning around the line during most of my free time for the next 2 weeks.

Ever since then I've been friends with many of these folks. I am now the other Fanforce CityRep for Toronto. I was not involved with organizing the original line, as I see it I kind of fell into this business. I was the one person -- it would appear -- who had the smart idea of having a backup internet forum. You see, the forum at countingdown.com was all well and good, but after the movie had come out we were not going to be counting down to it anymore, were we? So I began to wonder if the forum would disappear when the movie came out. It did, so things ended up moving, for a time, over to our forum at delphi.

I'm now a first year Computer Math student at Carleton University in Ottawa, where I live during the school year. During the summer, holidays, and selected weekends I am back home in North York. Recently I've been spending much time working on the CGI programs that run things behind the scenes at our website.

5. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm a Sandwich. Bite me, It's fun.

...What?
    *sigh* Oh, fine. Seesh.

I've known Tragic for some time now (ask him about how we first me for a good laugh...) and as such found my way into the lineup through his occasional ranting about a bunch of psychotic fans who wanted to lineup for the next SW movie and were all going to get themselves sued or thrown in jail.

I had to watch. I went to one ad hoc meeting and it was aaaaalll downhill from there.

6. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    ...and god help me, I live with him. Bite him. It's fun. ;)

Oookay. I'm Cristalia, and way back in December of 1998 one of my friends (Lelila) called me up in tears, laughing so hard I could barely understand her. It had to do with soemthing called the "Jedi Get Out of Your Clothes Real Fast Trick". Again, blame Tragic.

I had to know.

So I went to the forums on countingdown.com, and it was aaaalll downhill from there. Next thing I knew I was lining up for a movie with people who drew cat-sabers and dragged me to stupid action movies every weekend.

Otherwise, I'm 19 and not single *tries to unglue the cute little super-deformed Sandwich Boy glomped onto her right arm*. I'm going to be a Literary Studies student at University of Toronto next year, and I'm writing short fiction and sci-fi novels right now. So far I have made 35 whole dollars from writing...woohoo!

So, that's me. :)

Cris~

7. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I'm Lelila and it's kind of become my second name since I first posted onto Countingdown all those years ago. For the many people who wonder, it is NOT my real name, it is actually from a Star Wars book called "The Crystal Star" (EU). It's actually Leia's childhood nickname - she uses it as a guise when she takes Chewie and poses as a bounty hunter on the search for her kidnapped children.

Anyway, now that the EU lesson is over...here it goes...

I first came across Countingdown.com when I was looking for a counter type thing to put on my site (basically counting down the days until TPM hit the theatres). I typed 'countingdown' into a search and came up with the site, found some cool Star Wars forums, posted on the Toronto board and the rest is history.

I guess I'm the one credited with getting the whole thing going though I certainly don't think I'm the one who held it together. I was a member of the AdHoc for the line and was the one who was shoved (or walked willingly, I can't even remember but I think it was some of both) into the camera :D (no permanent scars)

Now I'm 19, not single, now in my first year at Western (London, Ont) studying science and psychology (with some music and Spanish thrown in), and I make it home some weekends..and I have no money :D

8. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Cris, that's $35 dollars more than I ever have..if that's of any comfort.

I came across Countingdown by reading, most likely, the same article as David (I believe the article was published on Jan. 15) and fell into organizing the line. While my role wasn't as substantial as others, it was one of the most fun experiences I've had. Dingus!

Through it and the line, I've made a lot of great friends and had a lot of fun.

I was once an avid collector of all things Star Wars, but that was before many movie nights, DVDs, and oh yeah, university (and all of its wonderful expenses.)

Speaking of university, I'm currently living in Hamilton (*shudder*), while attending McMaster University for Multimedia and Communication Studies, minoring in Anthropology. Though, this may change, once I figure out what the heck I want to do with my life.

Doing that requires me to have an opinion, which is something I am not known for, as can be told through my netname here.

Outside of wasting time at school, I like to watch movies, play baseball, twiddle my fingers and say "excellent," and that's about it.

9. DrewDogg

DrewDogg Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    umm. hey guys. I'm new...and live in Scarborough/Markham and am thinking about joining y'all on some of your get togethers, you guys seem like a nice bunch. My name is Andrew and am 17 years old. Probably the one of the youngest here for sure. Considering what I'm doing, I'll reach march 16 and meet you guys.

10. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Let's see I'm the clasic pscho of the group I guess with creative ways of doing creative things.
    All I need to demonstrate is some fermented flour and a match.
    Oh and those here who have learned my real name last I checked had forgotten it.

11. CloneTrooperX

CloneTrooperX Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Hello all!!!

Im Chris, formally known as SycoSith. ..and IM BACK!!! I used to post here and on the Delphi forums a year or two ago, but I had to cancel my internet because I had to go back to school.
    A little about me, Im a huge Star Wars fan/geek/whatever..lol and Im also into Gaming, CG animation (my future job hopefully!!)comics, art, and a whole bunch of other things! Anyways, I'm glad to be back and if any of still remember me, I'd love to hear from y'all! :)

-Chris ("CloneTrooperX" a.k.a "SycoSith")

12. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Hi Andrew - welcome aboard. I look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

DukerDuck - I'm quite sure I remember your name. Let's see.... ah, I got it! Rumplestilskin!!!

13. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey Andrew! Nice to meet you. Don't worry about being too young, you're as old as a few of us were, when we first became apart of the line -- that means something, but I can't figure it out.

I thought Duker_Duck's real name was something else, but with a name like Rumplestilskin, it's gotta be true.

Welcome back, Chris! Didn't forget about ya! How's school going?

14. Batsy

Batsy Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    My real name is Laura, and I live in Hamilton (it's not that bad, Adam!). I've known Tragic Lad since high school, why, I think even back before he was Tragic Lad! We had reconnected while I went to Ryerson U for journalism in 99/00. I wasn't part of the line-up (I was back in Hamilton by then), but I first joined the group for the one-month anniversary of the line-up. I've gone to sporadic movie nights since then.

I'm not a super-big SW fan, but I'm a life-long fan. I'm currently going to Centennial College for the Book & Mag Publishing program. In my spare time I run a website, Women of Gotham (http://www.geocities.com/womenofgotham) and write quite a bit. And as you might tell from the handle, I'm quite fond of tall, dark and pointy-eared from Gotham. ;)

Oh, and I'll also likely be there on March 16.

L.

15. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Welcom Andrew, and Welcome back Chris and Laura.

DukerDuck, though some may have forgotten, I still remember your name... I really don't understand why you don't like giving it out so much.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on the 16th.

16. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    David, don't you know what happens to Rumplestilskin when people mention his name three times? Crazy worm like things come crashing down on people and start singing "Day-yo"

17. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok, Wow!

Well, I'm Sabrina, long time lurker, first time poster. I am 23 and live in Thornhill. Missed out on the 1999 line because I was working, but served 4 hours at Collossous in Woodbridge after my shift if that makes you guys feel better. Gotta make the money that pays for my SW stuff somehow! I met a few of you at this years SF Expo at the Spagetti Social, which was alot of fun, but a lost day timer and a mountain of school work have kept me from signing up until fate stepped in. (Hi Laura!)

I am actually wondering though, has anyone thrown/plans to throw a trilogy party lately?

moi

18. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well hello there everyone.

For all of those who know who I am, you can go back to doing something useful.

I'm an original liner, was part of the original online discussions but missed out on really getting involved. For some odd reason I stuck around.

I work full time managing a Graphics department for a Commercial Photo Lab in Markham. I'm 30, recently single (still burning :( ) living downtown TO. My likes are movies, toys, books, I also like Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. My petpeeves are... hey what is this? a dating service - you'll just have to get to know me to learn those.

I know Tragic, Sandwich, Poobah, Adam, Duker and a whole whack more ( - I also know the origin or real names of most - Duker - you ain't so psycho now!)

I'll be there for Ice Age, and for the Line up - kinda have to - gots me a position of Au-thor-a-teh! :)

I don't believe anyone has plans for a trilogy party as of yet - Anyone? anyone? Bueller? I would but all I currently have are crappy VHS of the SE and the awkward Definitive Trilogy on Laserdisc - not saying it would be impossible though.

Oh and I got a really BIG TV screen - Day O!

19. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    LOL nice to remeet you Sabrina...considering that you live across the street from my boyfriend and a 2 minute drive from me (depending on how the Worth-Bathurst light is feeling)!

Hi Laura and Andrew, James, Dan, Chris, Duker, and everyone else...see ya soon!

Star Wars!

20. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    Jacquie here:)

I'm 21 and from Scarberia. I'm technically an International Studies major at Glendon(York's bilingual campus) but I'm intending on transferring to Visual Arts at York's Keele campus for next year. I live in rez.

I wasn't part of the original EpI line downtown though I did line up at the Colliseum Scarborugh. I came across the "Toronto Long Line" at the Delphi forums while surfing for something...can't remember what...*shrug*...and then after a long while, started posting here. So far, I've only really made it out to the LotR movie outing.

Star Wars is kewl. I like Star Wars.

I also like photography, painting, music, 80's cartoons and movies, and reading.

"pissenlit" is French for dandelion...no, I'm not French...yes, I can speak it.

Ya... :)

21. krax_13

krax_13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2001
    I haven't posted in a while so I'll introduce myself to all the new people.

My name is Joseph and my nethandle is Krax. I was dragged to the original line by the GrandePooBah and met some good friends there. I'v been to most of the gatherings and movie nights since, but I don't tend to post much on the forum (which I hope to change).

Anyhow, I'm currently in my second year of political science at carleton university in Ottawa. Otherwise I live in North York.

Oh, and I too remember Ducker's real name. :)

-Krax

I intend to live forever or die trying

22. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2001
    Hey there Rebels!

Gonk here.

I'm Rob. I come and go and seem to be more absent than present, but what's a Power Droid to do, huh?

I joined our group for Episode One, and was on the ad hoc Organizing Committee. How I got to know all these brilliant and uproariously funny people was that I wanted to make absolutely sure I'd be at the very first screening of Episode One at my favourite movie theatre, with the biggest Star Wars fans in Toronto. The SW Special Editions were so enjoyable on the screen of The YORK theatre, that I HAD TO be there for Ep 1.

I got wind of the idea that the Core fans might be lining up for a month or something, so I decided to JOIN them. I was delighted by the absolute PERSONALITY of each of you.

I tell you, I had the best time during those months planning and researching and different meetings, even with the press and all those hangers-on (Electric Bean, E-Now, every paper in town) LOL what a RIOT those months and those last weeks together on the street were. You people are my favourite, and I STILL brag about you to my work buddies whenever some sort of Internet meeting topic (or, of course Star Wars topic) comes up. (yeah, I'm the resident StarWars expert there - - although I tell them that my StarWars Friends know TONS more than I do.)

I miss a lot of get-togethers, cuz I work evenings, and I have a son (6) to take care of when he's with me. I'm 35, and I think only ONE other guy is that age too. Often my weekends are taken with other tasks. But I AM joining you all for "Ice Age" this coming Saturday.

As for interests, read my Details, but my latest StarWars passion is reading the STAR WARS TALES comics series! I LOVE THOSE!!!!! FREEDOM TO CREATE AND EXPLORE, free and unfettered!

Nuff talk for now. See you, my Rebel Friends!

23. Batsy

Batsy Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Nice to see you made it, Sabrina...

My name is Fate now? I'd rather be called Serendipity, if it's all the same to you. ;)

L.

24. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Wow, it's nice to see so many new people here already! Welcome, everyone!

Cris~

25. red5jedi

red5jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1998
    Hi everyone, it's been awhile. Just checking to see if my username still works here. My God it's still active. I haven't been here in ages!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.