main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Drama Welcome to PRISON! - Now Accepting New Players!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Coruscant, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC:

But one thing I'm very against, however, is allowing players control of their signed-up characters when it's the prosecution's turn to present "life moments" in the trial.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still confused on this point. If you are the prosecutor, I don't understand not playing our own characters against you. Maybe I'm just slow. I have been driving a lot lately :p

Also, is the trial now going to be dialogue only? Or are we, as promised at the outset, going to be traveling to people's worlds and seeing scenes? I thought that was what it was. Essentially what ophelia and I were doing in our greenhouse stuff, not that anyone was reading it :p

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Real quick on one part- we're traveling to people's worlds and seeing scenes unfold. I think I made that really clear earlier, but maybe you're right, you're just reeeeaallllyyy slow tonight. Or not. :p Please don't hit me! [face_praying]

Some of you have raised excellent questions in the thread, and some of the same of you and more of you who haven't posted here in the thread have asked excellent questions via PM. If you could repost those questions here in the thread, that would be great.

Part of the rationale behind having different players get control of one character during the prosecution against that character in his/her trial is that 1.) it fits in with the whole "jury of one's peers" theme and 2.) it makes the trial more impartial, if not even near completely or perfectly. Obviously, the huge strike against this is that a lot of RPers don't like to lose control of their characters at any point in the games they participate in, even for a small time (and in this game, the time spent on prosecution would be more than small time, admittedly). And, there's a third reason for the prosecuted character "switching hands" so to speak... and that's that it also raises the stakes. It makes you feel a real element of danger for your character, and it will make you work that much harder to strike back with defenses that are faaaar more persuasive than the prosecutions.

On the other hand, still, I am so open to ideas. And before any of you say that retaining control of your character while he's being prosecuted is an idea, let me say let's try to think of other ideas first. And perhaps, let's do a "trial period" of the trial itself, where we test it out and see if there are certain things we didn't like at first, but came to appreciate. We could do this with a "sacrificial lamb" character.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC: Cor, it just winds up feeling no different than god-modding. Worse, actually, because it's so extended. I think the "jury of one's peers" element will come from just that - other players being on the jury. Being able to react to each trial as it comes up as well as being able to know more about each other to inform their out-of-court interactions. It seems to me that all the players are pretty united in agreement on not wanting to lose control of their characters. I think we can also unite in being a good, active jury for each person. Frankly I think other people playing our characters will only cause tension rather than promoting group involvement. Hopefully that reasoning makes sense.

You know, if you wanted to get people more involved, you could allow the jury themselves to also ask some questions. I know it wouldn't be like a real trial, but frankly accurate legal proceedings kind of seem like the least of our worries :p I think getting everyone involved in the trials is a great idea. I just think we should each remain as our own characters is all.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    OOC: Okay, I just wanted to pop in here and say that Rachel has expressed everything I had been thinking. She said it way better than I could. =D=

5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I PM'ed some questions/concerns to Cor, and he asked me to repost here.

Basically . . . nobody knows my character. Even if all other players were hot to read the book series in which he appears, it's out of print. (You can still look, of course--the series is called "The Windrose Chronicles.")

The world Antryg comes from is also very, very demanding to re-create. His author is a history prof, and to write it you really need an extensive background in pre-Industrial Europe as well as knowledge of how his personal story happens to go.

In short, I'm not sure anybody else currently in the game could or would want to run Antryg's share of the prosecutorial events.

Solojones and I put together a subplot in the greenhouse in which we briefly visit a hallucination of Antryg's world, and see some of the type of things that have gotten him in trouble in his life. (Ditto for sj's characters, Ben & Locke of "Lost.") Part of the reason we did that is so that people could have some idea of who my character was. If you want to read that section and are ecstatic about playing Antryg and sketching out his world, please let me know.

However, I kinda doubt I'm going to have a lot of volunteers. Having just written that little novella, I promise you--it ain't easy. :p

It would really make things a lot simpler just to do it myself. Not trying to step on Cor's toes here--I'm just saying.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC: I think it's a fairly realistic concern, especially for your character. But in general I don't know enough of these characters to feel confident writing them. And I'm enjoying seeing other people play them. I don't want to step on Cor's toes *or* the other players toes. Because you need toes. For walking and stuff.

Also I do recommend reading the greenhouse stuff so that poor Antryg isn't as much of a stranger. And okay, because we spent an absurd amount of time on it :p These recreations really are quite involved. I don't think I could do one for someone I'm not really familiar with as a character.

7. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    OCC: fitting that i`m playing Jack cause right now i`m really LOST [face_worried][face_laugh] i`ll read up on everything that has been posted a few more times and see if i understand what the heck is going on.

8. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    OOC: I look forward to this next phase of the game, in whatever form it takes.

Also, to whomever gets Vader, good luck finding something upon which to judge him. ;)

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    OOC: Since a lot of us are confused (myself included), perhaps it would be best if Cor got us started.

10. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    OCC: that`s my main worry right now after re-reading everything that has been posted about the trials. It would be awesome if i got lucky and got assigned characters i know well, but i know there`s also a chance i might get someone i dont know well. I dont wanna do a crap job with someone else`s character [face_worried]. For the record, ophelia`s character boggles my mind from what little i`ve managed to read, so i`d be frightened if i got that one [face_laugh]

I do think it might be better to trial first some "sacrificial lamb" character first, just so we all get a better sense of everything. I know that might make me feel a bit better.

11. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    OOC: alright, after much thought, I've decided we'll do a "trial of the trial" first. I've discarded the whole "someone else playing character-under-trail during prosecution" deal.

*takes a moment for the celebrations to die down*

Finally! Now I will go on... :p

I have spoken to a player about adopting a sacrificial lamb Star Wars character for the trial-trial. It's gonna be a major Star Wars character, so that way everyone knows who it is. We'll focus on the issues of not-knowing-different-characters after this first trial. If I get an affirmative response from the player I have spoken to, I'll start things off.

12. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    OCC:Dont put Obi-Wan on trial Cor, he`s already suffered enough! :_|

:p

I`m intrigued, cant wait to see how this plays out [face_thinking]but i`m happy to read that playing someone else`s character was discarded though :D. Now, unless my pc gets fixed i guess i`ll have to wait until monday to see what happens :oops:

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    OOC: Cor, I can't tell you enough how happy that makes me(and I'm sure many others). Thanks for listening to me and the others and I'm looking forward to the trial run. Hopefully we can really make this work! :)

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC: Yay! Thanks :)

15. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    OOC: This isn't for the trial or anything. Just didn't want to leave Veloz hanging. :p

IC: as Solid Snake

?Well that sounds like music to my ears, I must say. I might not be a strong younger man like yourself, but if I can be of any assistance please don?t hesitate to ask?.

Snake stared at him pointedly when he finished his summation. He never exactly let a subject as trivial as his age get to him. Yet the mention that he was still young despite the obvious signs of grey hair, mustache....irked him. He knew that Lecter probably menat no harm, yet the remark could be taken almost as an insult. "Last time I checked, 70 wasn't the new 30," he grumbled. The subject of his age and his rapidly declining health always seemed to annoy him.

?I saw a few in the dinning room area before but they ran out to explore the island I assume...that was a while ago. I chose not to follow any of them and just do some exploring here first, but I haven?t seen anything so far that might give me a clue as to who this warden is and how he accomplished getting us all here?,

Then, Snake noticed as Hannibal came closer for some reason. He tensed slightly, yet Hannibal visibly made no action, so neither did he. It was then that he noticed a faint smell of nicotine just now, coming from himself. It was faint, and probably would have escaped anyone. Yet the nanomachines, still working after the many years since Shadow Moses, amplified his smelling, among other things. He then noticed that at his proximity, Hannibal coul've probably done the same, if that's what he intended to do.

What would the smell of nicotine get him? He heard you could tell alot about someone just from the subtle things, like smell, appearance, even their movements. Yet what had Hannibal learned from him just now? ... If that's what he was indeed trying to do.

He was still rummaging on the thought when the other man continued ?I find it somewhat disturbing that I haven?t seen any guards around. However this warden is watching us, he doesn?t need mere men to do it? to me that?s the most worrisome aspect of all?, he finished, ?We need to be extra careful?.

"We can't stay here, that's for sure." Not only was desperate to get moving, he was also genuienly curious to see how his new companion would react to a situation, if it would ever present itself.

He could learn alot from that.

TAG: Hannibal Lecter

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    OOC: Since we're waiting for the trial to begin, I figured I might as well reply to Spiff and keep things moving.

IC: Indiana Jones
    The Jungle

"Everyone on this island is of use to me until it is determined otherwise," the warrior explained as they moved along. "You will help me escape from this place. Do not overestimate your own importance, however. If it were not you, it would be somebody else."

Again, he applied pressure to his wound before continuing his tirade. "A group of insular mystics tried to overthrow the lawful government of the Republic. It was I who put a stop to their treasonous plans."

He grinned, thoroughly amused at the man's lucrative plan of escape and his tireless obsession with domination. "What makes you think I have the answers you're looking for?" he asked, working the bonds about his wrists with subtlety. Hopefully the distraction of his words would keep him busy long enough in order for him to break free. "Escape isn't going to be easy and I'm no miracle worker. Besides that, you're toting me around the jungle on a rope. That's not exactly the best way to gain my trust and cooperation...even if I could find a way out of here."

But despite his controlling demeanor and the constant abuse to his wounded shoulder, the warrior was starting to open up to Indy. He also spoke of mystics and some sort of Republic that served as his government. It was only a small snippet in the grand scheme of things, but it was enough for him to start piecing together the inner workings of the warrior - what society he came from and what made him tick. And why he was so intent on scare tactics and bullying those around him into doing his dirty work. Judging from his dress alone, Indy might have guessed he had some kind of connection to feudal Japan, perhaps even a derivation of the samurai. Anything seemed to be possible on this island and maybe a society did exist of samurai warriors equipped with technological advancements far beyond anything Indy had experienced before.

"But out of curiosity, how did you stop that uprising?" he continued after a moment, making a point to keep up the conversation to buy himself some more time. "You mentioned a Republic and...mystics?" He trailed off, scoffing a bit at how ridiculous it all really sounded. "I think you lost me with that last one."

TAG: Spiff

17. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Hi, guys, just an update... I'm working with solojones on getting a "trial of the trial" started. I want to do a trial of the trial so we can encounter any pitfalls in the whole system that I have partially set-up (and that we'll collectively figure out the rest of as we go along), because I was thinking about it and it wouldn't be fair to start putting a player's chosen character on trial without first working out any serious problems we might find while we're in media res the first real trial. It's kind of like a story I heard about penguins once... when they're lining up at a cliff to jump off, the first one off is kind of the one that takes the risk of getting eaten by any sea lions in the water below. If he gets eaten, well then obviously the penguins know to go somewhere else.

In this case, I don't want anyone's chosen character to be that "first penguin."

Rachel will be playing Obi-Wan Kenobi (who else?), and I'm just working out details with her, and then we should be able to get the trial started soon. In the meantime, feel free to ignore the latest warden post and just continue going about the island. :p

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC: Okay, this is super long and I'm not sure if it is what I'm supposed to do, but hopefully it'll set the groundwork for the trial...

IC: Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

The grimy sand that covered positively everything was something Ben hardly ever noticed anymore. He'd spent so much time in the desert that he sometimes wondered what the cleanliness of space would even feel like. No dust, no dirt, no slow accumulation of the detritus of life. Perhaps living amongst all that sand was a blessing rather than a curse. One could never feel completely disconnected from the past.

No, the past had a unique way of clinging to Obi-Wan, like the sand lightly sprinkled over every centimetre of his hovel. The young man - or boy, really - was focused on scratching bits of the dirt and grime out of his translator droid's recently repaired joints. He was absorbed by the task. Good at it, too, the old Jedi quietly observed. A bit distracted. Such a familiar way about him. When Obi-Wan casually mentioned the Clone Wars, the young man laughed it off.

"No, my father didn't fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter," Luke replied.

"That's what your uncle told you," Obi-Wan replied plainly. He was well aware of Owen's position on the matter. "He didn't hold with your father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved." That was the simplest way of putting it, in any case. Owen disapproved of the wars generally, though his own connection to Anakin had been much thinner than Luke imagined.

"You fought in the Clone Wars?" Luke's attention finally seemed to settle on the old man. Young men did seem to find the subject interesting, though that was not precisely the word Obi-Wan would have used to describe the experience.

"Yes," Obi-Wan replied, an unexpected bit of mirth in his tone. There was something both ironic and humbling about Luke's ignorance of the wars. Ben reminded himself that to the boy the Clone Wars were distant history. And that history had been rather carefully crafted to exclude the exploits of one of its most famous generals.

"I was once a Jedi knight, the same as your father," Ben explained, leaning back and running a hand over the rough white bristles of his beard. A subconscious gesture of thought he'd possessed for decades, though he often felt that younger man, that Jedi knight, was another man entirely. For many years, nothing had pained him more than to admit to even the thought that he was no longer a Jedi. Now it was like an old wound that had long since healed but still ached all the way to the bone.

"I wish I'd known him," the young man said softly.

Thoughts of Anakin stirred up unpredictable feelings in Obi-Wan. Sometimes anger, many times guilt. But sitting here with Anakin's son, this remarkably likable young man, Ben was reminded of the man who had been his friend. "He was the best star pilot in the galaxy," he said with something approaching a smile, recalling the many times Anakin's flying had nearly given him a heart attack. "And a cunning warrior," Ben added. Looking back at the young man, he remarked, "I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself."

It was an understatement in all respects, and Luke smiled shyly at the compliment. Ben had spent years quietly watching over the boy, seeing his skills rapidly develop in a manner that should not have surprised him but still managed to. Luke was, in so many ways, his father's son. A double edged sword, to be sure. Thus far, Ben had remained at a distance, only able to hope the boy was led in the right direction. To ensure that this promising young man did not make the same mistakes his father had. There were too many memories floating through Obi-Wan's mind to truly hang on to any one. It was a feeling he got when he thought of Anakin and what could have been more than a solitary recollection. "And he was a good friend," Ben trailed off in thought.

Just as quickly as the memories had come, Obi-Wan brushed them aside like sand from a robe. "Which reminds me," he said, slowly getting up. "I have som

19. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    OOC: This has been approved by HS29.

IC Darth Vader:

After I reminded the man of just how unimportant he was, he actually managed to smile as he said, "What makes you think I have the answers you're looking for? Escape isn't going to be easy and I'm no miracle worker. Besides that, you're toting me around the jungle on a rope. That's not exactly the best way to gain my trust and cooperation...even if I could find a way out of here."

I focused only on his last words. All the rest were just useless blather, excuses and nonsense meant to cover up his massive insecurity and terror. Despite how he easily he communicated with me, he would have to be desperately seeking a way out of his predicament. Nobody liked being a prisoner, but he would not, and could not, get away. ?I do not seek your trust, and as for your cooperation, that will come regardless. It is entirely up to you whether this relationship ends at the point of my saber.? These were the moments to relish. If only I could have smiled without pain. ?Your continued good behavior will be looked upon favorably, though, so perhaps that outcome can be avoided."

The man then said, "But out of curiosity, how did you stop that uprising? You mentioned a Republic and...mystics?" His words trailed off, but he continued after a moment. "I think you lost me with that last one."

Such a dismissive attitude would simply not do. ?You wish me to reveal all of my secrets? Hardly seems sporting. Very well: I stopped it by killing them all.? As I spoke, I had taken my hand off his shoulder, then used the Force to lift him slowly off the ground.. To him, it would seem imperceptible. It was a great relief to find that I still had such dextrous control over my abilities despite everything.

?None survived, or if they did, they wished that they had not.? Slowly, slowly he rose. ?Do not worry, though. They simply caught me on a bad day. I am usually much more open to negotiation. Unless you are revealed to be a traitor.? He was now half a meter in the air. While he floated there, I began to rotate him in a circle, faster and faster. While he was spinning like a top, I flipped his body upside down and right side up, then back again, so that soon he was wobbling in all directions while still remaining in one location above the ground.

He looked like a TIE fighter moving out-of-control through deep space. Strange, the associations one makes without even realizing it. The destruction of the Death Star, and my failed attempt to stop the same, must still have weighed heavily on my mind, despite the intervening years.

That was the moment when I withdrew the Force.

TAG: Indy

20. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    I knew it, i knew it! :mad::_| now solojones will taint my poor old Ben with angst :oops:

[face_laugh]

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    OOC: To be fair, your old Ben was a bit too chipper despite the amount of crushing setbacks he's felt in his life. I think yours was more "Crazy old hermit" Ben. :p Not that I didn't like that. It made for fun RPing. [face_laugh]

Nice first post sj.

I'll have a Bauer/Terry post up soon.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC: Isn't the whole point of this RP to have angst? Not that I need an excuse, but still :p

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Alrighty, as of this post, all characters should be in the observational state, where they are away from the island and in Obi-Wan Kenobi's hut. However, the characters within the scene that the prosecution has chosen to first display to you all are not aware you're there.

Until you flicker for the first time- don't worry about that yet, I'll tell when you that happens.

The observational state takes place within the same realm as the scene, and your characters can lounge around the hut as they witness this first stage of the trial.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    OOC: So are we supposed to start RPing as our characters who are at this scene but can't be seen? Or are we supposed to wait for you as the Warden to post? :confused:

25. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    You can start now. Let's get some general reactions to the sudden change of setting and the start of the trial, and perhaps some commentary on the scene unfolding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.