main
side
curve

JCC Amph Welcome to Racoon City

Discussion in 'Community' started by FatBurt, Oct 7, 2021.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Chosen One star 6

Jul 21, 2003

the Resident Evil REmake movie is due in November and the trailer has just dropped.

Move over Mila Jojojojovich, we could have a proper attempt on the table here

An attempt to stay true to RE1 and RE2 as a blended movie and the trailer suggests this could look like it's the real deal (so far as movie adaptations go)

A franchise with a massive story that could "easily" be adapted into a series of solid movies (RE5 aside) along with some spin off fillers if they want to pad it out a little.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films Manager and Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That CGI looks like it's from 2002.

solojones and vin like this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah it does kind of look like a fan film.
    Some interesting casting choices, not necessarily who I would have gone for but they're decent actors.

Also, It looks like it will be ignoring Resident Evil Zero, or are the basic elements of that being included?

Isn't an animated RE movie being made?

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    solojones likes this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    Nice. I like the ps one games.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 13X Hangman & 7X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Is it bad that I clicked on this thinking this was some sort of D+ project on Rocket Raccoon's origin story?

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
  8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    WTH is up with that song choice?

christophero30 likes this.
  9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Playing old songs in an ironic manner seems like a requirement in trailers nowadays.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The song is the best part of the trailer tbh. Looks terrible.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 6

Dec 19, 2015
    Say what you will about one of the worst film franchises in movie history, but "Raccoon City" is a great place name.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  12. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2018
    Look, not that I'm a fan of the games, not my thing, I've only gotten remotely interested because of Village, but this trailer doesn't do the game service.

Like I've watched clips of RE2 remake, and I member clips of the original RE movies and compare that to this...ok, fine some games deal more with action than horror, but the tone of these films is way off. Like it should feel more like drama, not campy zombie per say like how they do these movies.

I mean look at that.

I'm not against video games being movies, but the problem is that they keep trying to condense a 30 or so hour game into a 2 1/2 hour movie. So lots is cut out. The best way for something like that is a tv series to capture everything. (Like I've thought of FFVII and how to adapt it. You couldn't do it as a movie to capture it all)

There is a way of doing it, but it's hard pressed. Like I've actually written a prequel to Village about Lady Dimitrescu as a screenplay. No clue how to pitch the idea to Sony or so. It's it's own story before the game. But it's a point in time focused on, and honestly it works. Strangely enough, objectively it might be the best script I've written. I don't know WHY this one is, but it is lol.

But it's a drama and horror. Not campy or whatever. If the movie franchises actually focused on the horror and drama aspect and not the aesthetician of looking action packed and whatever it would do better. Which, ironically, is the whole things with the games. People overall like more of the horror aspects better when it's focused on that.

13. Princess_Tina

Princess_Tina Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Did anybody shell out for this one or am I the only one? :p

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've not paid for it. I'll watch it via "sources"

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 5, 2011
    Why the hell don't they do a television series so they can flesh out Umbrella and the characters?

FatBurt and AutumnLight91 like this.
  16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia/Book Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I don't know if using A-List counts as shelling out for it. It was every bit as awful as I thought it would be (saying that as someone who hasn't played a Resident Evil game). The CGI for Neil McDonough at the end took bad CGI to a whole new level.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost star 7

Nov 12, 2012
    Sony has a 45 day window to VOD but hopefully this tanking, and being a co-production with ScreenGems, and the fact there's no way to keep it as a theatrical exclusive by Christmas, maybe it'll hit VOD by Christmas which I'll watch mostly as a curiosity since I played the RE series up to Part 7.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hit video by December 21st but didn't watch until today. And I really dug it! It was certainly way more faithful to the source than the Paul WS Anderson "Alice" movies (which had an ethos at least, his wife is beautiful and has superpowers and monsters). But little moments recreated from the game were in abundance (wayyy more than the Anderson movies which had a cursory knowledge of the games it seemed), there's literally a "Jill Sandwhich" reference in the first 14 minutes (the movie starts with Lisa Trevor from RE Remake!). A lot of stuff cribbed from the first few games, as mentioned I haven't tried the later series entries by there's a bit involving a lighter flickering off and on which may be something from RE7

This is just cobbled together from the trailer but shows how they're pulling bits shot for shot. There's even the freakin' Ashford Twins film from Code Veronica! (Doesn't really do much for the narrative but freakin' creepy Ashford Twins film) and it ends like the RE2 game did on the train with giant Dr. Birkin Monster (CGI wonky but whatever I'm cool with it), a much better adaptation that bit from the games than the WS Anderson "licker jumps on the train" ending. Also this one had a proper bazooka.

Gripe about faithfulness of adaptation since it sticks so incredibly close to the game
    Why is Albert Wesker all conflicted and somewhat anti-hero and sympathetic, the dude's pure evil. And he gets his signature glasses in the mid-credits teaser which seems a bit too much "teasing out a franchise" bits. I like my Wesker supervillain not emo and sad. Which, again, is freakin' weird considering how closely this hews to the source. (name dropping Ada Wong is going to do zero point zero for people who don't know the source)

Also I had just a pain with Lisa Trevor when playing the RE:Remake I can't take her as being non-murder-y

Although to be fair, if you haven't played the games (especially the early core "Racoon City Incident" games) all of this is going to fly over your head. Blurring the line between Easter Eggs/random references and actual moments of mood story and plot that the film has to convey to non RE fans. Which leaves it as a zombie movie on it's own but it's still a decent splatter-y time. Leon is rewritten as kind of a screw up but still funny. Also supremely messy and R-rated which was needed considering how relatively unmessy the Anderson films could be. Certainly not as campy (although once again the ending CGI may throw people out of it)

Also a few nicely incongruous pop songs with violence moments (Any way you want it by Journey playing as Umbrella goons gun down civilians was great). Gal who played Claire had some good moments of cynicism at the start (and randomly putting on a football helmet and pouting). I think the film slow-rolls it a bit too much at the start but kicks in well. Also Donal Logue! Always a sign of somewhat decent-ness, at least from him.

Anyway, yeah just because No Alice = 5 outta 5

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  19. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2018
    So you're basically saying the trailer did this movie no favors, and its actually better than what it seems?

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    No it's still a bad film but it's not as bad as a could have been and the parts that were faithful to RE1 & 2 helped elevate it a little

I enjoyed it enough and will watch it again, I would also be happy for them to attempt an RE4 version (can't do 3 now though because of in movie reasons)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The trailer doesn't exactly lie, it looks the same way. But it's definitely reference easter egg heaven for anyone who has played the RE games, especially RE 0 - Code Veronica. And I do appreciate the faithfulness of the bazooka to Ashford Monster. ("Found it in first class")

If you haven't, hey, decent zombie splatter and some fun and creepy moments. It certainly isn't anywhere near as corny sometimes unendurably so the Anderson films are. Still there are lots of jump scary music sting scares which are standard to the genre.

Like the ITCHY TASTY! bit is another thing from the game (one of the journal entries) which becomes it's own thing but works way better if you know the bit.

(the clip actually cuts before the zombie lady is hollering "ITCHY TASTY!!" in Clarie's face which was the best part)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022