main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the Literature Review Forum!

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Welcome to the Literature Review Forum!

This Forum is designed for you to give your feelings about particular books, comic series and RPG supplements. Anything you wish to write in a review for a book is welcome, though of course there are guidelines.

Rules and Regulations
    • ALL reviews, both positive and negative, will be accepted on this Forum, but...

• ... no author- or mindless book-bashing of any kind will be tolerated. Saying "this book sucks" is not sufficient and will result in a warning, but saying "this book sucks, here's why I think so..." will be fine. Conversely, no bashing of a reviewer for their review will be tolerated either.

• PLEASE vote in the polls AS WELL AS posting your review in the thread. Please don't just do one.

• This Forum should be reserved for reviews of EU Literature and discussion on the reviews ONLY. Discussion about the books themselves -- in whole or in part -- should still take place in the EU Literature Forum.

• This Forum has no assigned, dedicated Moderator so if you see a problem of any sort, please contact Raven, Genghis12, dp4m, The2ndQuest or Errant_Venture

General Guidelines

- Once the initial run has been out for a while, we'll start to add new EU Literature to review. IF you have requests, send 'em along. :)
    - Remember -- some authors do post here, so even if you're not bashing don't say anything in them that you wouldn't say to their faces! [face_shocked]
    - Authors have editors who check their spelling and grammar for your enjoyment; for a review of their work you should think about returning the favor. ;)
    - Remember, there are no spoilers in this Forum so no space is needed. :cool:

-Initial text by [color=white][b][hl=purple]dp4m[/hl][/b][/color] 2/8/2003

2. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
  3. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    After a long time of the old welcome thread being unstickied, I went ahead and created a new sticky thread. This also has an updated thread index guide.

To carry over from the previous thread, here is what the last few posts were:

Excellence posted the following on 12/10/03: Hmmm, forgot about this review forum. Will ther ebe one for NEGVV in time? I posted one for Amazon in any case, not to many there.

Bib Fortuna, Twilek posted the following on 12/31/03: How about you make a thread for each and every book out there? As it is, this board gets kind of boring once you've read/posted on all the active threads.

Burrie posted the following on 1/7/04: Just like to bring this one up again... are there any plans for any of the Tales of the Jedi comics?

Errant_Venture posted the following on 1/25/04: I don't see why not!

Just give me a few days.

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks for adding new books and comics to review. Good to see that an older idea of mine has come to fruition, and doing well.

I should write a story for TF.N Books to highlight the new additions, and get more traffic in here...

5. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    No problem Gath, just keeping the tradition alive. :)

Yes, it would be nice if there was some sort of story at the TF.N homepage that advertises this forum. :)

6. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Look for some updates late tonight. :)

Also, if any of you want something specific just ask me and I'll see what I can do. Well so long as the said thing is not related to the NJO.

7. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    When CAN the NJO be added? Has the timeframe been decided?

8. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    The timeframe is still undecided. Personally, I would not mind adding elements of the NJO tonight, but there is still no official date. :(

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Maybe the following timeframe can be used:

Now - add NJO Year 1 books, then in THREE months time, add NJO Year 2 books, and so on, so in a years time, all the NJO books should be here. I think that is a reasonable timeframe.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd rather not add any NJO books for the foreseeable near future -- and the reason is, I'd automatically give every single one of them 1s right now.

Some people would automatically give all of them 10s.

I'd rather wait until we've ALL digested some more of the material as a whole (since it's one series, not individual books) before adding them.

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What to you mean 'more of the material'? The NJO is over, there is no more material to add? Why do you need more time to ponder over it... isn't it presumptuous to think that other people haven't?

And after all, I think my timetable is a very reasonable one, as Year 1 of the NJO was published 4 years or more ago now.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What to you mean 'more of the material'? The NJO is over, there is no more material to add? Why do you need more time to ponder over it... isn't it presumptuous to think that other people haven't?

And after all, I think my timetable is a very reasonable one, as Year 1 of the NJO was published 4 years or more ago now.

The NJO is over a bare four months.

The NJO cannot be considered as individual parts, thus it is only over for four months (not four or five years).

Plus, some people only read softcovers and that's not out until August or so of this year.

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    So becuase you haven't had enough time to dwell on it, you are going to use your own viewpoint and standards and are going to prevent people who have the intellect who have already formed their own opinion to do so?

Doesn't make sense... preventing people from writing a review who are more prepared to do so, only becuase one individial believes that everyone is not up to the task, because *they* are not yet ready.

Hmmpf.

14. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Personally I view the NJO as five different sagas, with each saga a different year on the time scale. I personally see no reason why further delay should be necessary, especially in light of The Final Prophecy already out for review.

Dp, how long do you wish to wait until the other 18 books of the NJO are out? Almost all of the pre-NJO books are now out for review, so we are running out of stuff. . .

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Doesn't make sense... preventing people from writing a review who are more prepared to do so, only becuase one individial believes that everyone is not up to the task, because *they* are not yet ready.

Considering we JUST had a "Did the NJO ruin Star Wars for you" thread started in Literature proper this week, I'd say the rancor is still up there. ;)

Let the atomic winter dust settle...

E_V -- at least a year post-TUF hardcover.

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I agree with Errant_Venture.

VECTOR PRIME, which was released nearly FIVE years ago, is a stand alone novel. You don't need to have read the other EIGHTEEN NJO novels to be able to review Vector Prime!!!

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Noted. Denied.

18. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    A year? You think that is a bit long?

Ah well, I'm out of this discussion now until Saturday when I get back.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Ridiculous. Shortsighted.

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    May I quote:

This Forum has no assigned, dedicated Moderator so if you see a problem of any sort, please contact Raven, Genghis12, dp4m, TheSecondQuest or Errant_Venture

dp4m, why do you have the gall to make a decision which does not even have consensus with your fellow moderators?

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd say the latest "deadline" should be one month after the TUF paperback is out...but I think you can at least start discussing the first half or first year worth of books now. ::shrugs::

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thankyou!

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Here's my thoughts which were posted last Thanksgiving when the matter came up in the Modsquad's ongoing Literature forum discussion thread:
      "...I think the point in time to start adding them [NJO threads] wholesale is when the Lit. forum's official TUF spoiler period ends (coming up soon) and the [Lit. forum] discussion thread becomes unstickied. This way, people have a place where they know there will always be NJO threads, without having to dig through the depths of the Lit. forum.

Over four years is more than enough time for any "knee-jerk reactions" to have died down."
    But, I also need to add those are my own personal feelings. I am also very aware of the "feelings" surrounding the NJO. I've seen NJO authors here harassed by trolls until they were run off. I've experienced first-hand the kinds of flaming that our forum users' engage in over the NJO. So, that's to say, that yes, I am aware of pretty much everything surrounding the "NJO issue" insofar as it relates to this site, going all the way back to 1999.

With Vector Prime, any date we pick now, four and a half years after it has been published, seems to me to be just as arbitrary as any other. I think if we're going to do it, we set the date and start them.

24. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    dp4m, looks like a majority of the Literature Moderators agree that it is Ok to at least start reviewing the first year of the NJO in this forum now.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Noted. Denied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.