main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference ~ Welcome to the Break Room ~ Emotion Wheels & Other Tools

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lady_Belligerent , Nov 2, 2022.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My proofreading and editing is better if I step away and read something else for a while before I come back to see what I wrote. I know what I meant when I wrote it so the meaning is obvious to me, but what will it mean to others? It's easier to see it with fresh eyes if I clear my mind with something else.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    how do I edit?

when it comes to RPG I try to proofread before I hit send and hope for the best :p

when typing on the rest of the boards my brain and typing fingers go at the same speed...so 99% of the time an incoherent mess

3. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    How do I edit? What is this "edit" you speak of?
    Jokes aside, I usually create my RP post on an outline document of my own creation and use the spellcheck features to comb through issues before posting it in fully. I tend to view the editing of posts like taking care of a passage in my own short stories.

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello @Sgt.Matt :)

I resisted Google docs for years, but now I’m a fan. It’s nice having my posts on my iPad, computer, and phone.

5. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Hiya!

It's always good to see others who had a similar experience with Google Docs as well, but now it's my best friend for when I'm on holiday or traveling large distances.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh yeah, Google Docs is so convenient. That's where I do all of my writing. It's also great for combos and collaborations.

In terms of editing, Grammarly has been beneficial in catching spelling mistakes and other various issues. It highlights the words (or sentences) in question and offers suggestions for fixing them. I'm using the free version currently, but with how frequently I write, I'm seriously considering buying into the premium. It's supposed to offer additional features that aren't available in the free version.

7. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Yeah I start with a Google doc and then move it over here on PC since I prefer a font for writing. Then since I like to use colors, it gives me multiple chances to look at it to edit.

Then again, there are times I want to clear something with the GM I post it in a conversation with them just to make sure that we're on the same page.

Back to ideas, sometimes it's a question that I need to look up the answer for. Sometimes it's history, historical fiction or any number of things.

I do love writing space battles though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

8. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Great input @HanSolo29 and @adaml83!

I haven’t tried grammerly in years, I should revisit that app. :)

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Knowing I am German and it will never be perfect I read three times through it and then hit the send button, hoping my word got as many mistakes as possible. It is always a matter of speed against perfection. As a GM I always thought pushing out updates fast is essential while the game runs. Letting people wait so I can make my language better felt Contra-productive. As a player I often take a day to reread it and then rewrote entire passages. It is one of the advantages to play on board that you feel less rushed, compared to the numerous Discord games where you more easily hit the send button when you are done writing.

10. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Thank you @DarkLordoftheFins, I had not considered the extra time put in. I’ve read many of your posts and found them very enjoyable, and easy to read. :)

I want to thank everyone that’s contributing their process, tips, and thoughts. My idea was that we help each other grow by sharing and encouraging, you guys are the best!

Keep it coming!

11. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Hey everyone,
    I hope you guys enjoyed the holiday, and it’s time to get back to the fun, so what motivates you to write?

For me, it’s the lists of notes I have that detailing things I want to do with my characters. The year ahead will be so much fun!

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Time for me to pay another visit to my good friends over in RPF and chat about our shared passion: writing[face_dancing]

Lots of great discussion and tips in here for me to catch up on, and some two cents of my own to offer on these excellent topics!

I tend to write the whole chapter (or scene or whatever other segment I'm writing) before I go back and edit unless something strikes me as so egregiously wrong that I have to fix it right away or else it would impede all my forward momentum and progress. Only once I have finished writing the chapter or scene do I pour my energy into editing.

The editing process for me can differ based on what format I first used in writing my rough draft. For example, if I wrote the rough draft of my chapter or scene in one of my notebooks (which sometimes I like to do because there feels like less pressure in terms of staring at a blank screen), then in the process of transferring my words to a Google Doc for ultimate posting on a site like this, I find that I am editing for things like spelling, grammar, sentence structure, word choice, and story flow quite naturally.

If I do my rough draft on Google Docs, I will run what I have written through the spelling and grammar check on there. I will also glance over my work to see if I'm doing things like varying paragraph and sentence length to try to avoid a monotonous feel. I will also try to look through to see if there are places where I am repetitive or unclear so that I can become less redundant or achieve greater clarity in my words.

Still, for all my efforts, whenever I re-read my writing, I always find things that I wish I could have done better or differently. A spelling or grammar error that I missed. A sentence that doesn't actually seem to make sense as much as I thought it did. An unintended bit of repetition. Recently, for instance, I saw that I had posted a gem of repetitive redundancy when I described how an "obvious point" needed to be "pointed out" to a certain character.

I mean, it wasn't grammatically incorrect or anything, but it wasn't my finest hour from a writing technique standpoint:oops:

Ultimately, I know that even with my editing some things will slip through the cracks, and that is okay. The mistakes keep me humble;)

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed the holiday as well, and that you will have a Happy New Year 2023[face_party]

I think I have a drive to be creative, which motivates me to write. I also have a desire to explore human emotions and psychology, which to me dovetails very well with writing.

I also get motivated to write by events that happen to me in my life or characters that I love and want to delve into more or a setting that I just get so excited to explore in more detail through my writing. I also will sometimes get motivated by a fun fact that I learn during my travels, by changes in the seasons, or by other aspects and elements of nature.

The collaborative elements of writing on sites like this also keep me motivated. There are friendly challenges I can participate in which provide excellent ideas and incentive to write. Prompts I can draw inspiration and motivation from, and others posters whom I can interact with in a mutually supportive way as in a thread like this. So that community element helps keep me motivated in my writing:)

13. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Thank you so much @devilinthedetails for visiting us! You’re awesome to share your insight with us and we welcome all of our FanFic friends!

devilinthedetails likes this.
  14. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Silently portraying a character's emotions often leaves me drawing from a shallow well of familiar descriptions: raised an eyebrow, grinned, stroked his beard, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if I should not take it as a synonym challenge, but instead mix in more dialogue and my characters being what they are feeling.

15. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Here’s a new topic, do you know what meta gaming is? Tell us what it is and how it affects other players?

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    To me, metagaming isn't necessarily bad, although it's easy to abuse. I would define it as the player using his knowledge of the game to have his character do something for their own benefit, even though the character shouldn't know to do it.

Bad metagaming: my character is separated from the others in a building and is trying to rejoin the group. He comes to two doors. As a player, I've read the other players' posts and know they went through the left door, so I write that my character goes thought the left door.

Not so bad metagaming: my character comes to the two doors, hesitates, and remembers that the group leader is left-handed and might be more likely to choose the left door, so I'll go that way. I'm still using my knowledge to make my character go the right way, but at least I'm making an effort to justify his choice.

Really bad metagaming is having your own character do something that doesn't align with their own personality as written, just because the player wants to take advantage of outside knowledge of the game.

adaml83 likes this.
  17. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Metagaming: When the writer wrests control of the character and writing process away from the character to use their own will. Characters have been known to stop talking with authors after said incidents and it has been shown to be a redactable offense to GM's and Rules Mods. Strength of redaction varies by strength of metagaming offense - possible call to ignore sentence, paragraph, entire post, or entire player.

Meta-gaming is a no-no of the nth degree of no and always odd in it's numeration.

When it comes to metagaming - Just say no!
    [​IMG]

18. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Oh, @Sarge. [face_shame_on_you]

@Mitth_Fisto =D=

It’s defeating, as a player, to read another player post where they meta game. Besides, being unfair, it forces the GM to counter those moves made by the offender.

I hope others will weigh in with their thoughts.

Sinrebirth and HanSolo29 like this.
  19. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    That's why sometimes I copy what I'm thinking about posting to see what the GM thinks.

Then again I do kinda blow up @Sinrebirth 's conversation box...along with messenger. Then again I do like it for the GM to know what I'm thinking from time to time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I quite like a constant stream of thoughts. It’s like continual positive feedback as you’re excited, I’m excited, and it just builds until…

BOOM.

[face_devil]

21. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    re: metagaming

[​IMG]

if I ever do this in game, my apologies to all :p
    it is definitely not on purpose, so a gentle reminder would be appreciated.

22. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    @Tia I’m a big fan of gentile reminders. It’s better to pump the brakes before something turns into a disaster.

HanSolo29 and Tia like this.
  23. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    That’s not a bad idea, if you aren’t sure then ask.

I often say “I’m happy to change anything that doesn’t work.”

adaml83, Sarge and HanSolo29 like this.
  24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    A big thing that helps is to allow yourself to simply roleplay and not think of it as a game that must have a clear winner/objectives that must be met. In the end, we are taking on a role to tell a story, and our main goal is to embody the character and do things exactly as they would do them—not what would seem smart as a player to do. Sometimes that may go against your instincts, but if that's where the character leads you, then you're making the right decision. In a sense, it's a lot like acting in terms of the way we personify someone else. This isn't about you at this point; it's about your character and ensuring that you portray them to the best of your ability within the confines of the story.

I hope that makes sense. :)

adaml83, Sarge, Tia and 1 other person like this.
  25. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Excellent point @HanSolo29! There’s no winner, or loser! It’s not Mario Kart. :p

It’s a collaboration of character stories working together. It’s amazing to have the characters stories intertwined and working together.

Tia and HanSolo29 like this.