main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welshguy's Movie Club

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Welshguy, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Thought i'd start this thread so we can have a place to discuss and critique movies.

The basic premise of this thread is that I select 1 movie per week that people watch and discuss.

Anyone is welcome (even the English) to contribute to this thread and give his or her opinions and views on the week?s movie.

Hopefully we can get some good discussions going regarding themes, acting and directing style etc.

I?ll try and arrange it so that the movie I pick will be on TV sometime during the week, as selecting a movie that some people might not have on DVD would kill the discussion pretty quickly.

I would also like to stress that this thread will not be purely about ?new cinema releases?; rather it will focus on modern and contemporary classic.

As much fun as discussing movies like Pirates and Superman would be, there are already threads cluttering up the boards regarding these and I feel we wouldn?t really be adding anything new or interesting.

So onto the first movie. As it has been previously discussed in another thread, we shall start off with the Richard Kelly classic (no, not Domino ;) ) Donnie Darko.

I?m pretty sure every man, woman and child worth their salt owns a copy of this film, but even if you don?t, there is a very good chance that you have seen it an can give your views accordingly.

I would like to point out however that it is an integral part of this thread that people actually watch the movie again, rather than rely on their 2 year old memories. I?m hoping to get some serious in depth discussion going, discussions that require the knowledge of details that only a fresh viewing can provide.

I?ll post a format list up soon asking for specific opinions about the chosen film (ie. Favourite scene etc.), so don?t worry about having to write an essay or anything. ;)

Ok then, lets get the ball rolling.

First point of business, post if you?re interested in contributing and secondly, watch Donnie Darko.

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I'll watch it again tomorow and give a mini-review, see where we go from there.

3. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    I'm game, not that I ever need an excuse to watch that wonderful film, or anything for that matter. I watch anything and enjoy something, except crash which makes me really angry

I might even get take some pics of my Frank costume for everyone, not that i have a camera so my poor quality webcam will have to do (yes i'm a bit of a donnie fanatic, hence the sig)

Dunno if many welsh posters have freeview, sky etc but every friday filmfour are doing a films to see before you die thing, dunno if they're any good yet but it could be a way of making sure we can all see the film. presumably it's related to the show of the same name on channel four a few weeks back and that had donnie darko in the top ten

4. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Ah so it was you Stuey that made a Frank costume. :p Welshguy was going on about someone he knew who made one. Why does Crash make you angry? Its a hell of a emotional movie yea and its pretty ****** up but not enough to make me angry at it.

5. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Here's the link to the philosophy of time travel pages.

http://ruinedeye.com/cd/time1.htm

I thought it was you who did the Frank costume Stuey. I remember the mask looked amazing, but I don't think you ever posted any pictures of the completed costume (ie, the suit).

I also remember you were having bunny tail issues. ;)

Were they resolved?

The film four thing was one of the reasons why I started this thread. Since they show some excellent movies, I thought it would be a great opportunity to get some discussion going.

6. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    I won't get in to why I don't like crash, i often annoy people with my complaining about it. Maybe we should add it to the list of films and then I can try and justify some of my complaints and give it a fair second go

I never actually took any pics of the whole costume, although lots of random strangers did in the club i went to on halloween.

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/simsstuart/Picture6.jpg]

here's the mask for a taster

7. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Fair enough, I await your review or complaint or whatever. :p

Looks like a nice costume, what did you make the mask out of?

8. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    the mask is so sophisticated that if I told you that it's simply papier mache, i'd have to kill you

I actually tried various proto-types with much more sophisticated methods and that actually worked best, it was based around a mask cut to fit my face and built up in layers. the eyes were the hardest part, i spent months looking for the right materials but it got rained on and the paint ran and now you can't see out if it

9. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Ah that must be a problem while wearing it then eh?

10. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    unbeknownst to myself, I was reassured by many people who recognised the costume and chatted to me about it that I look alot like the guy who plays frank without the mask

for comparison:

[image=http://au.i1.yimg.com/movies.aunz.yimg.com/2005/photos/main/8343.jpg]

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/simsstuart/MeandLucy.jpg]

I don't see it myself and before you ask i'm on the right

11. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    I supose there is a slight resemblence but not really.

12. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    lol. It's not a million miles away dude!

What you should do is put on the special effect makeup to make it look like you've been shot in the eye, so when you take your mask off!!!!!

You'll look just like the real Frank!

13. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    That would be a awesome idea, people would freak out when they saw it.

14. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    I had planned to crudely cover my eye in fake blood but unfortunately my housemate used it all for his zombie costume

maybe if i straighten my hair i could pull it off

15. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    How much do you think it would cost to make a Frank mask? [face_thinking]

(has ideas of Halloween party)

16. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    The whole costume probably cost me about £50-£60 with probably about £25 on the mask

it's more the amount of time I spent on it, i'm sure you could make a better one with more time and resources, but despite my costumes usually being quite lame I must say my Frank was pretty damn good

17. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    A Halloween party made up of Frank the bunny's? :p

18. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    we could have prizes for the best Frank

19. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I've never tried working in papier mache before. Is it difficult?

A party full of Frank's, now that would be sweet!

Found this on ebay, looks pretty good, but expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRANK-Full-Costume-Mask-Gloves-Suit-Donnie-Darko-Bunny_W0QQitemZ130012026297QQihZ003QQcategoryZ60361QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

20. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Wow that is expensive... but it looks good quality though.

What would be the prize then? :p

21. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    I'll sell you mine for half that! that one does have gloves though, i just cut it off at the wrists so I could still drink. I did consider carrying a straw to drink through the mouth of the mask but thought better of it

The prize is you get officially recognised as the real frank leading everyone to pretend you're not real and then jake gyllenhaal will come in and shoot you in the eye :D

22. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    So how did you make the suit? Did you buy it or make it yourself?

As for the prize for best Frank... How about a night of fun and frolics with Grandma Death? :p

23. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    I tried that with my V for Vendetta mask... it ammused several people to see V holding a drink and sticking a straw underneath the mask to drink.

Since we seem to be talking about donnie darko heres something I made a while ago now...

http://www.deviantart.com/view/31214768/

Cant remember if I posted it here or not but meh have another look. :p

24. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    That's very nice dude. I like it, and no, it hasn't been posted here before.

I didn't realise that everyone was such big Darko fans!

I feel left out due to the fact that i've never created anything myself that ties in with the movie.

Maybe i'll go shoot a smurf. ;)

25. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Thats not creation, its destruction! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.