main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Jedi_Lover: You'll probably get your revenge when one of their dogs goes off on a tear and doesn't come back, forcing them to go out looking for the dumb mutt.

2. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Jedi_Lover, the first thing that came to mind is the Bumpus hounds! :p Sorry your cat was moderately traumatized.

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    New social thread!

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    For my first post in the new thread:

I’m so excited that I had to stop in and share my joy.[face_dancing] Back in early December of last year, my almost 15-year-old son was a passenger in a car involved in a horrible wreck in which one of my son’s best friends was killed. The driver and two other passengers in the car were badly injured as well.:_|

He spent several weeks in the hospital before he was discharged to a rehabilitation facility in mid-January. At just 14, my son was one of the youngest patients in the facility, but he tackled his rehab with the grace and strength of a man twice his age.

Our family has spent holidays, birthdays, reunions and other special events of the last eight months in a state of flux; going back and forth between home, school and hospital/rehab.

Watching my boy struggle to learn to walk and talk again has been one of the hardest things my husband and I have ever had to do. But, as a family we’ve come through it. There was always light at the end of the tunnel, and we finally reached it.

Just about seven months to the day that he entered the rehab facility, my son came home Friday, August 15th. He walked through the front door on his own two feet. He has a limp which is most likely permanent, but he says he can live with it. He’ll adapt. That’s my boy!

All told, he has had three surgeries on his left arm. It was basically crushed in the accident. The worst break was just above his wrist. He’ll have a plate and eight screws permanently in his arm to stabilize the bones.

His speech therapy continues. His head injury was what we feared the most. We knew he would heal physically, but there is so much not known about how and why the brain works the way it does. He has a few memory problems and his thoughts continue to come slower than they did prior to the accident. His speech has improved greatly; his words are clear.

When all is said and done, I am simply grateful that my son is alive. In the beginning we prayed that he would live. That was all we asked; just let our son live. Live he has! He has surpassed every wish, every hope and every dream my husband and I had for him after the accident that nearly took him from us.

As my son says; everything else is icing on the cake, Mom!=D=

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Good for him, Jen!

He always wanted to live, and he's fought hard to get where he is with the help of expert medical professionals. His strength is self-manifest and I hope he continues to live life to the fullest extent possible. :)

JediMaster_Jen and Kahara like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Awesome news, JediMaster_Jen! I am sure he will improve everyday!

JediMaster_Jen and Kahara like this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    JediMaster_Jen, I'm so glad to hear your son's doing so much better and that his recovery is going so well. And especially that he's going into it so cheerfully especially given how long-term it will be—sounds like he's quite a trooper! Bravissimo to him. :cool:

Jedi_Lover, glad you & your son were able to rescue the poor beast. What a shock that whole escapade must have been for a kitty that age!

I'm just back from my West Virginia weekend. The wedding came off quite well on the whole, considering the combination of obscure location, blazing hot weather, various "zilla" characteristics, and general travel stress. More details later, since 100% of us are currently absolutely dog-tired from the whole thing.

Edit: One detail that TrakNar will appreciate: this morning, while driving back through WV to Dulles Airport, we got to stop at a Sheetz to pick up a few breakfast things, and I ordered a bagel-egg-and-cheese sandwich for my son. Their selection of made-to-order stuff was really pretty incredible, and at first a little overwhelming—for a little while it was "Touch-Screen Ordering System 1, Finds 0"—but I eventually figured it out. I had a nibble or two of the sandwich, and it really was quite decent. :)

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Sheetz is great. Yeah, their touch menu takes a bit to get used to, especially when the update the menu.

9. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    JediMaster_Jen, I'm happy to hear that things are going better now! Best wishes for your son and for everyone in the family.

Findswoman, congrats on making it back from West Virginia. Hope you had some fun amid the chaos.

Findswoman and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  10. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Glad to here that your son and kitty are doing fine. Yeah I think the old kitty did get his exercise for the day.

JediMaster_Jen I'm glad that you son has done well enough to return to home. He sounds like a real fighter.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just walked down to the local Sheetz (I was kidnapped to babysit again) and I saw a little toad along the way. Pretty much went down to Sheetz to use their ATM, as it's surcharge-free. It's worth the extra four blocks to avoid paying that extra three dollars.

Good to hear that your son is doing well, JediMaster_Jen! He sounds like a trooper!

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Only if fun means preparing for the doing of more prereqs! ;) (I'm lurking only because I can't do fun and school at the same time... and if I could, I would. But first... must ace the scary TEAS test.)

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Oh, going into nursing eh? That sounds...entertaining. :p

Gonna go for RN or just leave it at LPN for now?

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That's amazing JediMaster_Jen! I am glad to hear of your son's recovery and I hope he continues to progress.

And welcome back Findswoman! You got any 'Zilla drama stories? Though I know as a guest you often don't get to see the 'Zilla moments. My cousin was apparently quite the Bridezilla when she got married last year and the Mother of the groom didn't help matters, however I was the one in charge of getting the usher ready, so I didn't see any of the drama.

So, I had quite the WTH moment this weekend. There was a knock on the door yesterday evening. It was the former owner of the house. Apparently his wife asked him next time he was in town to 'stop by the old house and ask for the curtains and window coverings back'. I can't blame him for just doing what his wife wanted but WTH? It was one of the conditions that the curtains came with the house (we didn't want them, the realtor just wrote it in because normally people do ask for them). We actually hated all of them (they were probably worth like $2000 back in the early 90s but they were all so ugly) so we actually ended up giving some to our grandmother and we sold the rest of them like the first week. But who goes back to their old house 2 months after moving and asks for something back? Either we are using them, or they are gone. Honestly, if he had asked for them the day of the move, we would have given them to him.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a question! Well, two, actually, but still! Firstly, how does everyone keep up with these threads? Every time I log on there's a hundred new pages at least. :(

Secondly, anyone got any dating advice? There's a guy I get on well with but I've never dated guys before. All I know about them is that they're less squishy in the chest area.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    JediMaster_Jen - I'm so happy to hear your son is doing so well and that he is home! I know that has to make you all so happy! [:D]

Findswoman - Ahhh.... Sheetz. We only got them in the city I lived in a few months before I left for Boston, but I had been to them many times in other places... but oh how I miss them so. They have strangely good food.

moosemousse - Hey! It's been a bit since we've seen you! [:D]
    Second, I'm terrible with dating advice... I've only dated 2 people in my 30 years. Both of them were/are nerds who are into Star Wars so that makes things easier. ;)

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    To the first point...we check the boards more than once a month... ;)

To the second...speaking as a guy, I can tell you that we generally appreciate women who are straight with us. If you fancy this bloke, then tell him so after seeing if he's not already spoken for (do this discreetly or not at all). All he can say is no, and even if he does, it doesn't mean he rejects you as a person. If you don't like the idea or don't want to outright tell him you fancy him, but still want to try a date, just ask him if he'd like to catch a film or go out to eat some time. Don't be pushy, but don't be a pushover either, and most important, be yourself. :)

Hope that helps!

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have no dating advice. Try the old standby of dinner and a show.

Anywho, foot still sore. The pain is confined to the bones of the last toe and tarsal. It's not sore all the time and only really acts up after walking on it for a while.

19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Find a common interest. Let's say it is running. Ask him, "Are you doing the so-and-so 5K next week?" If he says yes, tell him that's great, you planned on running it and it would be nice to know somebody there (and then sign up). If he says no, say you were planning on going and wouldn't mind a running partner. Or you could be a little less sneaky and just say, "Would you like to catch a movie together sometime?"

20. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Took my bus after work today as usual and wound up coming home with a big, fancy french press stainless steel coffee mug that was lying in the grass. :eek:[face_dunno] This feels really awkward and awesome at the same time...I mean, it's fantastic and I'll totally use it, but I wonder who's crying now about their lost FP mug.

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My dating advice: don't take dating advice from me. I fail at any sort of romance. I'm going on a date next Monday... with my brother and step-cousin.

That is an awesome, yet very random find ThreadSketch. I think if whoever lost it is crying about it, they shouldn't have left it in the grass.

So I went to the mailbox today and it was like freaking Christmas. I had a card (my grandmother decided to finally mail my very late birthday card and my birthday money - I honestly wasn't expecting it), my new glasses from Zenni (I CAN SEE AGAIN! I also got prescription sunglasses this time around, so worth it!) AND my dress from Zulily. It is SO gorgeous! I am very glad I decided to splurge and buy it. A lot of people always say Zulily takes forever for shipping, but maybe I just got the right thing at the right time, or I'm just used to 3-4 week waits for stuff, but my dress came 10 days after they shipped it, and they shipped it 2 days after I ordered it. I think that's pretty good.

I'm just hoping my Dalek dress and my brother's fez and bow tie come before next Monday (we are going to the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who in theaters). I actually ordered those before I ordered the Zulily dress. I took a bit of a gamble and chose economy shipping knowing it would be close. I'm just hoping my gamble to save $20 on shipping and NOT having to deal with DHL pays off!

22. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I flipped out a little when I looked up the brand and saw that it's worth $30! I rarely spend that much on a new item; I'm too used to shopping at Goodwill, lol.

The owner likely didn't hear it drop because it hit soft grass; Mom thinks it must have been in the person's bag or backpack and fell out, because it's too silly that it would just fall out of their grasp. There's a big electrical box at that bus stop that people love to abandon their paper soda cups on, so it was even weirder that it wound up on the ground instead. Oh well. I'll definitely enjoy it when I want to brew my own coffee at work in the winter; it'll save me even more time.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I finished reading The Colour Out of Space to my niece. Next on the list is Pickman's Model, though I may save that for Halloween.

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.

Kahara, Revanfan1 and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I babysat not only this evening, but all morning. The kids were fine in the morning, but by the evening, they were a bit more troublesome and I had to raise my voice a few times. I was also getting tired.

Can't wait to go home and sleep in.

Kahara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.