main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Oh, I know exactly what causes my twitchings. But thanks anyway. :)

Fortunately for you, Trak, the school year isn't that far off.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Pretty much the week after they start school. They're... not really too excited. My niece begins middle school while the youngest nephew is going into first grade. I think only one or two more years and my other nephew will be starting middle school.

3. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
  4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Never seen melted crayon art before. Pretty awesome, Briannakin

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    BLARGH I AM DED

I went out for a midnight walk and on my way back, I was ready to just keel over and sleep. Time for bed. The kids wear me out.

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Entertaining? Sort of. This took ten years to decide for certain. Locally, we've got a community college that offers the RN as an associate degree and an adult school that offers the LVN, but not the LPN. But that's later, after the prereqs are done. And, you know... the aforementioned scary test that puts the Certified Medical Assistant exam to shame. ;) (In fact... preview!)

7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    What a weird quiz! I'm Joshua Abraham Norton, the first and only Emperor of the USA, apparently :p

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Briannakin, love your lion! Very nice work there. I too didn't know melted crayon art was a thing (well, other than their uses in making candles).

Goodwood and JadeLotus, yes, that is indeed a weird quiz. I too got Charles VI of France, though I had been secretly hoping for Joan the Mad of Spain. :p

TrakNar, I sympathize about being worn out by kids. There have been days when I've wished my little guy were your nieces' and nephews' age(s), but I guess even that age can be trying too.

And now, as promised, I'll give a (close to) full report of my West Virginia Wedding Weekend. Briannakin, there wasn't over much zilla drama from what I could see, though as you say, a mere guest isn't necessarily in on all that. Still, there were individual zilla characteristics, to wit:

(1) the "bride's yoga class" at 8:30 on the morning of the wedding (which actually turned out to be kind of fun, but gawsh, 8:30??);
    (2) the cards on which guests were to fill in "Madlibs"-style wishes for the bride and groom ("We are [ADJECTIVE] to be here to celebrate your [NOUN]!");
    (3) the 'interactive guestbook" (featuring Polaroid-type photos of guests that did not develop properly in the blazing Southern August sun);
    (4) the whole "destination wedding" business in general (Yes, I get that this is a favorite vacation spot of the newlyweds, but for Pete's sake, this place was a 2.5-hour drive from Dulles Airport, and most of the bride's family lives in Washington State, for crying out loud!).

The wedding was held in the unincorporated hamlet of—I am not making this up—Cabins, WV, at a log cabin resort place in the middle of the Appalachians, beside a very picturesque forested bluff and a lovely trout stream. I went with my mother and my son; my husband couldn't make it because of work.

On Friday 8/15, after checking into our motel (10 miles down a twisty forest road), we went to the rehearsal dinner, a very casual taco-bar sort of affair. It was fine, and I enjoyed catching up with the few other family members that were there, but we didn't stay super long because my son was über-exhausted from all the traveling earlier that day. He couldn't wait to just hop into bed.

But then we had to be up bright and early on Saturday 8/16 for the yoga class. We kind of wanted to go because it looked to be the only time I might be able to really see the bride much, and my mom wanted to catch up with my aunt, the bride's mom. It was a pleasant little open-air workout with a local guest instructor; the ground was kind of damp and slightly muddy, but it was good to get a little exercise, and doing so outside was a neat experience. The little guy behaved himself wonderfully while my mom nad I did yoga, and we took some time to explore the trout stream a bit and throw rocks and sticks in, which he really enjoyed. At lunch he didn't do so well, but I think he was still just feeling generally disoriented with all the traipsing around. We put him down for a nap in the afternoon in preparation for the evening's festivities, though he ended up not actually sleeping.

The wedding was at 5:30 in the afternoon. The sun was beating down ruthlessly, but fortunately the ceremony was nice and short (though I felt sorry for the bridesmaids in their navy blue dresses—categorically not a summer color!). And there was some planning ahead for the weather, since the programs were all designed as "fans" with popsicle-stick handles, and water bottles (in that "chubby" 8-oz. size) were handed out. The little guy behaved himself very well at the ceremony, and we got lots of comments on how good he was, how cute he looked, etc.

The reception followed, and with all the milling around the little guy got a little disoriented. He did eat some veggies from the hors d'oeuvres table, though, and we enjoyed some nibbles from the "trail mix bar" (make your own trail mix with nuts, pretzels, raisins, Cheerios, etc.) It didn't help that we had to sit around and wait a good while for dinner to be served. My mom and I had to tag-team sitting with him, since he didn't want to run around and goof off like most of the other kids were, though my mom did take him down to the river again a few times. (I couldn't because my shoes weren't suitable). The dinner wasn't thrilling: the lamb kabobs were not properly cooked, but the other stuff (including fried chicken) was mostly decent. I did get to chat a bit with my aunt and uncle again, as well as meet some new folks; I even managed to get one very blurry, grainy photo with the bride! Again, though, we had to turn in a bit earlyish because the little guy was fast approaching his expiration date.

The morning of Sunday 8/17 there was a brunch with the bride's parents scheduled, but we couldn't go because we had to make the long drive back to the airport. So that's pretty much what we did all morning (though we did make the quick Sheetz stop already mentioned). The flight back went smoothly and uneventfully, and we stayed overnight with my mom in Chicago before driving back to Wisconsin Monday afternoon.

And that, as they say, is pretty much it. It was quite the whirlwind weekend—definitely lots of fun moments, but on the whole I think all of us are glad to be back to our usual routines.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku and Kahara like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sounds like it was fun, and I'm glad the little guy behaved! Though, maybe this is just me, but any "destination wedding" screams 'Zilla to me (unless the majority of the family have to travel anyways, you want a REALLY small wedding or you are getting married at like 50 years old and everyone can either afford it or is dead). At my uncle's wedding last year people were bugging my cousin and I about how one of us was next and the next one to get married in has to have a Caribbean wedding to give everyone an excuse to go on vacation. I have a freaking huge family, so I could never do something like that.

But I have to say, poor bridesmaids! I got a nasty sun burn in my electric blue dress, and as you guys saw, it covered a lot of skin. I would have hated to be in the sun in navy blue.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Good Luck with the test DaenaBenjen42!

Sounds like a great wedding Findswoman! "(10 miles down a twisty forest road)," Welcome to West Virginia! :D Even the interstates are twisty ups and downs. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who insist they don't get motion sickness that get it when they go to WV. :p

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I wonder how many of those twisty turney highways in WV were once used by roving Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War... ;)

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Probably a lot of them, especially the old roads. The interstate maybe not so much... they've found more efficient ways to go through or over the mountains. ;)

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Gah, it rained earlier and my foot is sore. I'm wondering if I did actually bust up the last metatarsal, as it still hurts to move that toe.

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Briannakin, definitely agreed—there's something very Zilla about the whole "destination wedding" concept. As beautiful as the place was, their choice of location basically prevented a big chunk of the bride's family from coming. Besides being a bummer for them, it wasn't so hot for those few of us family members who were there: I literally had never met anyone there before except the bride (my cousin), her parents (my aunt and uncle), and her brother. And the navy blue also seemed highly Zilla, though the weather cooled off markedly as the evening progressed.

mavjade, for all the twists and turns I encountered on WV's regional roads, I still maintain that they have nothing on Coast Highway 1 in California. Hoo boy. Yes, it's scenic and gorgeous and all that, and I know many folks who just love driving on it, but I can't go two minutes on it without becoming horribly, miserably, mortally queasy. The WV roads didn't get me sick, much to my relief; they were just deceptive in that one thinks 10 miles isn't such a long drive—but throw in a few squiggles and it suddenly becomes interminable.

TrakNar, ouch ouch. Worth asking a doctor, maybe, or is it just one of those things where the pain goes away once the weather dries up?

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It generally goes away once the weather dries up, but it'll return if I walk on it too much.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, making your bridesmaids wear a really dark color when you know it's going to be hot and sunny is NOT nice. For awhile my Bridezilla thought about getting us to buy these really dark navy blue dresses that were in town, they would have saved us a fair amount of money, but they would have made us die.

Ouch Trak, you might want to get that checked out. (Says the girl that is currently deaf in one ear yet is procrastinating going to a doctor. It doesn't feel like an infection, yet I can't hear out of it. I have a driving lesson first thing tomorrow morning, so this may be interesting.)

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Blech, that means then I'll need to make an appointment and schedule a ride to go to it...

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I know that dilemma all too well. I'm kinda thinking about making one for my ear for Monday since I have a dentist appointment that day anyways, but I really don't want to spend all day getting poked at. And if I do make it it'll be gone by then anyways.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If my foot is still hurting like this come mid September, I'll make an appointment. In the meantime, I'm blaming it on the rain.

And I still have that twitchy eyelid, so I'm still looking like this.
    [​IMG]

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Did you have any change in medication? My doctor put me on some meds that made my eyes twitch all the time. After a few days I went back to her and had her give me some other type of medication.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Nope, meds are the same. I'm thinking it might be stress. I've been going back and forth to my half-brother's for a while to babysit and it might be wearing me thin.

22. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    TrakNar and Briannakin: Hope you both feel better soon!

Findswoman: Glad the wedding was all in all ok, especially with Findsson in tow. Mountain windy roads get me too. If they are too bad, I have to drive so that I don't get sick...either that or take a nap. Hence I have never driven long stretches of Hwy 1 in CA. I want to be awake and able to look at the scenery.

My highlights of the day were having a normal commute to work unencumbered by monsoon flooding, figuring how to make a variable created in a function global so I could pass it to the next function (I hate R documentation - it took 5 different Google searches with different variations on "making a local variable global" before I found the right syntax), and enjoying a lovely dinner with my youngest daughter at California Pizza Kitchen, just the two of us since my husband and Charity Rose are both on trips until Friday. And the day was topped off by watching the Phineas and Ferb Star Wars episode followed by Ewan McGregor's ice bucket challenge video. :p I can see some Padawans having a field day with that in the Temple.

Kahara, jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  23. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Not there yet, Mav. But... **HUGS**!!!!

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Can't wait to do more babysitting. At least this time I won't have to get the kids settled down for bed, as it'll be daytime sitting. That's easier to deal with.

"You kids get your asses in bed or I'm sending my Hypno upstairs!"

Meanwhile, my Hypno is like
    [​IMG]

Not mine, by the way.

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    [:D] I've been around, just lurking. Like I said, I can't keep up with this thread easily.
    This guy I'm talking to is into video games. Hopefully retro games too. That'd be awesome. [face_blush]

I checked it the day after I made that post and it was already a whole page on. :(

We're meeting on Saturday. If we get on I'm going to teach him how to make lasagne and then we're going to watch some terrible films. Does that sound good?

We seem to have a lot in common, so we should be ok.

I've just thought of a potential disaster! The new season of Dr Who starts on Saturday, which is when we're going to meet up! :_|

Briannakin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.