main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, ironically enough, this being true is actually a better April Fool's joke than a fake moving announcement would have been.=D=

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    "already ripped the module out of the code during the last customisation attempt."

You make it sound so vicious. :p

Thanks for the info!

3. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    DarthGuy, haters need not apply.

I don't know what the discussion is even on really. Thus far in this thread it looks like nothing is going to change from here to there. I like that we want to move from this forum and its outdated software and features to one with more for 'us' but my question... who is the us getting these features? Everything brought up that vb has to offer that we don't have here has been shot down. Seems pretty silly to move to vb with all those features then to restrict them from normal users. Or am I missing something?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The first concern is getting the boards up and running the way we're used to--making use of the new features will take significant discussion, and that's just going to take time away from making things just work.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What you're missing is that most of the features are stupid and annoying.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The move was never demanded by the users here, it's being done because it has to be so any kind of new features being give to us is really a bonus.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Great, still not convinced.

Especially since, other than the hosting costs, everything can be basically done for free using public-available forum software and DBs (e.g. phpBB and mySQL) which don't require payments if you're not using them commercially (which you would not be if you are not charging and do not have ads, which we haven't in a very long time).

Spell could likely handle much of that integration in his sleep (I should know, I've met him). I'm guessing, since with vBulletin, you only get 30 days of free support at a non-asynchronous level, support won't be much of an issue anyways (and at $175 for the forums it's not like it's a lot of money).

Just seems like a lot of vague puffery and name-dropping of vBulletin and the previously much-maligned Astaran (whom we tried to help so hard the last time!)

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Then here are some things that haven't been brought up:

Users able to choose board style displayed - as far as last time this was being left intact, with only a couple of specific forums with locked styles (the down-side is that it is a board-wide thing, not forum specific).

Better User Profile Interface - the way in which users can make setting changes and customise their forum experience is expanded from the IGN interface.

BB Code in Signatures - while HTML and images are a no for signatures, the mark-ups will be enabled, allowing for more customisation.

Greater Control of the Forums - the amount of things that can be done with vB by us is degrees of magnitude greater than here on IGN boards. There's things like the way the forum looks, the way modules work, bug fixes, tweaks, etc. that will all be able to be done now. Because we are all used to the way things are on IGNBoards it's hard to say exactly what we will/won't/can/can't do until we're there and as familiar with the ins and outs of the software as we are with the current one.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Do. Not. Want. phpBB.

10. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Unless a lot has changed in the time since I last played with phpBB, there's a few issues with it at the back-end in regards to larger-sized forums. Now, I know that the argument can be made that we won't need as much 'power' nowdays, but with the size of our existing database and still reasonably sized userbase I personally think we'd have no end of issues going down the phpBB route.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Would you actually trust a forum with 250k users and 27 million posts to the open source phpBB, which is historically one of the most hackable forum softwares in existence?

Neither would I.

12. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    The move was never demanded by the users here, it's being done because it has to be so any kind of new features being give to us is really a bonus.

Yeah see I know this. Did you read the OP? What I said was stated there, somewhere towards the end, that is has plenty of new features for us. I am asking who the us is, because it doesn't seem like anyone without colors is included in that.

13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    And we're saying be patient.

14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Guessing that was addressed to me... it was just a question. I am not being impatient, just curios. I do not like it however when people respond to something I say with a pointless post that adds nothing. I just like to stay informed and know what is going on is all.

Come on Grimby you show us this shiny new toy but don't tell us what it can do or anything about it AND you expect us to be calm and patient about it? :p

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I don't think that you're listening to what we're saying. You asked about what new features would be available, we said we're not changing anything at first because we need to concentrate on getting everything moved and actually working. I said to be patient because we haven't yet discussed any possibilities for adding new features, and we aren't going to until after the move is completed. Just because certain features aren't going to be available right when the new boards open doesn't mean they won't be available later. Though, as you can see, we did decide on removing a few features back in 2005.

16. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Aye.

One of the coolest things about moving to vB is the ability to write new code as needed; with a few simple steps we can have a dedicated space for new features we made. This means when we see a tech issue arise, we can discuss an in-house solution, instead of saying "well, we hope IGN wants to do that too." A lot of work went into the initial vB preparations...now we can build upward even more. :)

17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Don't tell anyone, but I was holding out hope that 'uknowwho' would post in here and miss that fact. I sooo want to see him complain in German for no good reason...

With my luck, I'll prolly get a timeout for baiting...
    [face_laugh]

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Quiet you!:p My biggest concern over this move, as vain as it may sound, is how the aesthetics of the new boards look. I sure hope it's not too much of a departure of what we have now.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    QFT. I already lost my 99' reg date. I don't need for that to happen again. :(

20. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes I read the opening post but if they were being paid to let us use their servers, it makes absolutely no sense to kick us to the curb unless IGN was hosting us for FREE. I just don't see any company hosting something that requires that much space/bandwidth plus having access to their computer geeks when a problem arose for free though. Refusing to keep a paying customer(s) is nothing short of suicide for a business and I've never heard of a business that actually wanted to shut down.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They are.

22. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    So could there be new emoticons? And for that matter, will we be able to keep the ones we use?

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/iconhammersn9.gif]

24. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I remember being able to look at the vBulletin test site at one time, wasn't it "betaboards" or something? Is that still possible to see?

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    As Grimby said, new emoticons are not a priority at the moment. The smileys we are currently using are the standard Yahoo! Instant Messenger icons. Snatching them wouldn't be an issue.