main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Were Obi Wan and Yoda right to hide the truth from Luke?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by HolyKenobi93, Apr 19, 2022.

1. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Was it ethical for Obi Wan and Yoda to hide Vader's true identity from Luke, especially considering that they intended for him to confront him eventually? I get that he "wasn't ready" yet in Episode V but when exactly would he be ready? When he strong enough to beat Vader? It seems like they're basically manipulating him into committing fratricide.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Yes, Luke needed to be trained in the Jedi Way, and build up his care for others before learning Vader is his Father. Otherwise, its possible Luke would have rushed to see Vader and by extension The Emperor, without hardly any training.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Luke already cared for others a great deal. Ben & Yoda wanted him to be more detached and focus more on the big picture. Fortunately, Luke disagreed, which cost him greatly but helped him even more.
    As for the initial question, they say they hid it because he wasn't ready to bear the burden, which is probably true. But I agree that they seem to be getting him used to the idea that Ani no longer exists and that Vader needs to die, though Luke found out that wasn't so. It's not an easy thing to think about.
    I'd say their motives are somewhat shadowy, and the situation could've been handled better.

Sarge likes this.
  4. HanSolo98

HanSolo98 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2022
    I think they were ashamed of their role in Ani's turn to the dark side. Obi-Wan especially would not want to inform Luke so that he and Yoda could train Luke without him knowing they were basically training him with the hope of getting rid of his father. Imagine if you had met a complete stranger and are beginning your training as a Jedi, would you want to hear that those who are training you cut off your father's legs and arms and left him to burn? I think not.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I don’t think it was shadowy at all. Luke confesses a main reason he wants to be trained as a Jedi, “I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father before me.” Kinda hard to tell the kid then, “Uh your dad betrayed the Jedi, murdered Younglings, and became Darth Vader.” It makes sense they waited, and let Vader himself reveal that dark fact.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    HanSolo98 likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm satisfied with Yoda's "not ready for the burden were you" answer. Luke grew from the experience but at tremendous cost and a much narrower margin of risk of succumbing to the Dark Side than when he was was more mature within himself and the Force.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't think they were right or ethical. But the will of the Force prevailed and their failings turned out for the best in the end.

Of course the "real" answer is that the whole thing was a massive retcon of the story told in the first movie, and GL was lucky to be able to make it all fit together as well as it did.

8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I know right? Alic Guinness gave these looks, and the way he answered questions in ANH that made it all fit perfectly.

CT-867-5309, Kenneth Morgan and Sarge like this.
  9. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Given the circumstances, I'd say it was the right call. Immediately revealing the truth to Luke would likely jeopardise his safety and put him at risk of falling to the dark side. He needed to mature and train before facing the truth.

Kato Sai likes this.
  10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Exactly, I mean is Obi-Wan gonna risk Luke turning to the dark side with the revelation that Vader is his father when he and Master Yoda worked to hard to hide Luke so he wouldn’t be found by The Emperor or Lord Vader? Makes perfect sense they kept the info from Luke.

Darth Baga likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, I would want to know, and I'd like to decide for myself if I want to associate with those strangers. My father wasn't part of my life, and he was a bad person who abused my mother quite badly, so I wouldn't give the slightest fig if someone hacked him to pieces. They could have just told Luke the truth about his father and why they opposed him. Luke, hating the Empire himself, may have understood, and may have taken it much better than they assumed. Giving Luke someone to hate by telling him the enemy murdered his father may have been riskier than telling him the truth.

Anger + hate toward the enemy leads to the dark side.

Your father was a good man who chose an evil path is not a revelation that leads to the dark side.

Sarge and DARTHLINK like this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^ Exactly. If anything, Luke would want to know why his father chose to betray the Jedi. Would he turn to the Dark Side? No. It’s just as likely he’d pull a Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and tell himself that he’s not fighting his father, he’s fighting the beast that killed him. Which is kinda what they were hoping Luke would think anyway, only on a literal sense of Dude A killed Dude B rather figuratively of Dude A killed the goodness in himself.

It’s also possible Luke would attempt to do what we already see him do in the movies.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    CT-867-5309, Sarge and HanSolo98 like this.
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's another one of those mythic tropes : the hero's parentage is a mystery/they've been hidden because they're the son of a god etc.

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  14. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Way too much over thinking on this.

The simple answer is the lies were only meant to cover up the plot hole created by making Darth Vader Luke's father in TESB.

Everything I've seen states that Vader was not Luke's father while ANH was being filmed.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, the decision to tell Luke the truth when they deemed it to be appropriate was right.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    …which has nothing whatsoever to do with the in-universe reality of the complete story, which is what the question of the OP is referring to. Out-of-universe circumstances are 100% irrelevant in that context, as you’re no doubt aware.

17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Nonetheless, it's at least worth mentioning, especially since Lucas has been so heavy-handed in putting out the lie that Star Wars was always "the tragedy of Darth Vader" when Anakin and Vader weren't even the same character in the first film.

As for whether it's justified in-universe... I do suspect it indicates the old Jedi Order perhaps being more flawed than a lot of PT fans would like to admit. (Though still hardly deserving of the genocide that Palpatine engineered.)

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Retcons are at the heart of Star Wars then.

Darth__Lobot and BlackRanger like this.
  19. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Unlike a lot of Star Wars retcons, this one actually worked well.

The Vader father reveal was one of the greatest moments in SW. The only cost was messing up a little bit of Obi-Wan's speech in ANH.

20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh I agree. I just think its funny people hate retcons in SW, when as you just said, we got some great ones.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  21. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Keeping stuff from your kids until they are an appropriate age is ALWAYS risky. Yes, I know Luke isn't Obi-Wan's son, but the same logic applies.

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Like the truth about Santa Claus.

23. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    No, not like that. I'm talking about the appropriate age to discuss with your child how the world actually is.

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Depends.

Were they ever planning on telling him the truth? if so, when? after he had killed Vader? (which they both wanted Luke to do)

'you just joined the patricide club Luke' *raises glass*

Luke:
    [​IMG]

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    That he was Darth Vader's dad ?