main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics Were the Altisian Jedi allowed in the Jedi Temple (Coruscant)?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jun 3, 2022.

1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    So, I did some research on the sect started by Djinn Altis. They had an enclave on Bespin and they also traveled aboard the Chu'unthor. I understand they established an uneasy alliance with the Jedi Council during the Clone Wars, even though they were still regarded to be heretics by most of the Jedi Order, for their beliefs and practices. What I'm curious about was were they welcomed in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant? Or were they barred from it? Or maybe they were not permitted entrance until the clone wars, when they made their alliance with the mainstream Jedi Order? I'm sure one of you who read the source material might know? What were the policies of the Jedi Council regarding them? [face_thinking]

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine they were allowed as guests but I get the impression of them as asking if an Eastern Orthodox Priest can visit the Vatican.

"Yes, probably with a good deal of pleasantries but it's not exactly like they're accepting you as a member either."

The Coruscanti Jedi aren't inclined to persecute them but it is a breakaway sect.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Sadly, the Altisian Jedi are a sect that was only mildly developed as a retcon to deal with the issue of Callista. We don't have much information on them and they seem like they were someone who would have been more important than they ended up being. Of course, I don't foresee them as a group that became very large in the grand scheme of things but were the result of one guy who would have been one of the Lost Twenty if not for the fact that he never made Master.

Vialco, MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  4. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I believe Altis and Callista showed up in a TCW and Republic Commando novel. I haven't read either, but I would think they'd cover the Altisians' relationship with the order.

Charlemagne19 and MercenaryAce like this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, that would be my guess as well.

The jedi had cordial relationships with other force groups, even jedi splinter groups, but I don't think they would get any special treatment because they called themselves jedi, and would just be treated like average citizens.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Nah.

Whenever they tried to approach the Temple, Mace would go down to the entrance and just stand there, arms crossed in front of his chest. He wouldn’t say anything or block their way. Just a cold hard stare that old Djinn wouldn’t dare contest.

On the far occasions that Mace wasn’t there, Yoda would totter down to the Great Hall and give Djinn a gentle but firm lecture on non-attachment and then gesture towards the exit with his gimer stick. After a while, the Altisian Jedi stopped trying to approach the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Eventually, Djinn Altis got the message and told all his followers to avoid Coruscant.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The Jedi Order on Coruscant rather not speak about Altisian Jedi so that no apprentices get the idea they can have all the fun, attachement and marriage and be a Jedi and leave for that group. Case in point Anakin. But the Altisian Jedi have no grudge and just do not obey or recognise dogma and the Council. The Jedi though work with Altisians or talk to them just normal, merely not promote it. The novel had Anakin shocked to learn about them and what this could have meant for him and Padmé.

In a way Altisian Jedi did not want to accept the changes that happened after the High Republic to the order and kept sticking to older traditions to the point of fully refusing to accept Council doctrine.

In a way it is like the Corellian Jedi, officially a part of the order but with their own traditions and secret Jedi families. The Council turns a blind eye and the Corellian Jedi serve them according to their own customs. The Altisians are just one step further and do not even take orders anymore.

Charlemagne19 and QuinlanSolo like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Re. Anakin would he not be interested in the Altisian Jedis since one of the big things he want out of being a Jedi is the authority that comes with the role, and the Altisians, for all them using the term Jedi, lack any of the authority the Jedi Order have.

Can I say how stupid I find the Corellian Jedi retcone and I think it created more problems than it solved. Why did they not just declare that Jedi Corran was just as bad as being a by-the-book Jedi as Officer Corran was at being a by-the-book cop and explain all the inconsistencies between how Jedi Corran had been described and the rules of the PT as being that Jedi Corran was not good at following rules.

According to the wook it was:
    The Clone Wars: No Prisoners | Wookieepedia | Fandom
    Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel | Wookieepedia | Fandom
    Imperial Commando: 501st | Wookieepedia | Fandom
    and that in No Prisoners did Anakin interact with Djinn Altis and his Jedi. Maybe the answear for your question is in there @QuiWanKenJin

I have not read them but I remember there being talk about Karen Traviss (the author of all three stories) more or less using the Altisians as a show of how she think the Jedi should be. Since I have not read them don't I know if she did a good or bad jobb. @QuiWanKenJin maybe you should ask your question in the Lit - A question on Karen Traviss and her work(s) thread since all those books where the Altisian Jedi appear are by her, if you don't want to read/can get your hands on No Prisoners.

9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    By the time Attack Of The Clones invented the "no attachments" rule, the number of Jedi in all time periods who were established to have had normal families was so huge that you pretty much have two choices: 1) accept that the number of non-by-the-book Jedi who ignore the rules and get away with it is so prodigious that the rule might as well not exist in the first place, or 2) retcon it away by establishing that there are various rites/syndods/wev of the Jedi Order that do allow marriage even if the main one doesn't.

Option # 2 has the merit of mirroring real life, since the largest and most well-known Christian church generally forbids its priests from marrying, but most other Christian churches don't, and/or within that particular Christian church there are also various rites that also allow married priests. Corellia is also the least surprising place in the galaxy to have this kind of tradition, given how well-established its independent streak is.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, I always liked that about the legends jedi - that while it might have come from the accident of continuity contradictions, they felt very real in how the jedi were a group with factions whose influence waxed and waned over time, with the order as a whole changing over the ages and giving rise to splinter factions with their own interpretations. Given how legends was already starting to prequalize the ancient and future jedi a fair bit by the end, it is hard to see new canon being anything but eternal pt jedi