main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were the clone troopers evil?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mlbfan, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlbfan

mlbfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2004
    When palpatine contacted all the commanders and told them to carry out order 66, were they evil. I mean, the knew when to turn on the Jedi, and how to kill them. I think they were evil the whole time and were waiting for the order to kill the Jedi. Like did Jango teach them that when they were on kamino?

2. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    No, they were just programmed to do a job. They did not make any decision, they just followed orders.

3. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    I think that the clones are neither good or evil, they just fallow orders. Like a good soldier does.

4. Darth_Alexander13

Darth_Alexander13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    the clone troppers were like any other weapon, and no weapon is evil. only the one who used them was evil. the clones were only following orders

5. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    No, they're not evil. Just easily used to serve an evil cause.

And I still don't like that "Blast him!" line from Cody.

6. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    The clones were just like droids but made of flesh and blood. Whethor or not this was intended when Lucas dreamed up his Stormtroopers i can't say, but the concept of the clones vs the droids was really a brillient way to demonstrate a wartime situation without actually killing a bunch of people. Since the Stormtroopers get killed regularly in the OT this new relationship really tones down the violence without having to reshoot the films. The idea of destroying clones is far less devestating than killing soldiers who have families and emotions.

Hey if they replace greedo with a clone, Han can shoot first again and be "politically correct" [face_laugh] LOL

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The clone weren't evil, they were just following orders. I wonder if the clone makers gave a warranty for any clones that didn't follow an order?

8. Darko

Darko Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    I don't know if they are without feelings or was it the drugs they were given to excellerate their growth. Boba was a clone but he wasn't given anything to excellerate his growth, would the drugs have also repressed his emotions?

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Boba didn't have any repressed emotions, he's just mean.

10. Darko

Darko Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    Thats what I mean, he did have feelings. Would the clones have been born with feelings but have them repressed by the growth drugs they were given.

11. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    The Clone Troopers aren't evil, they do have all the basic functions of a human, including emotions, but they also had their independence taken away through various drugs. That way the clones are very docile and will serve the Republic/Empire without question, which is why they blindly follow Order66, it's what they were created to do, serve the Chancellor who is the head of the Republic.

12. JediSteve30

JediSteve30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    I feel that the clones were good soldiers. They obeyed their Jedi superiors and followed orders. Unfortunately though, they were ultimately loyal to the Republic, not to the Jedi.

13. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    I remember reading a spoiler for ROTS quite a while ago where Palpatine ordered some genetic code or alteration to where they will obey him without question. That's what they are. They're like zombies or something. No feelings. No emotion. They can't help it. They will do as they are told. Boba is not like that because he was cloned as a completely regular clone, no growth acceleration and no genetic altering. Because of this, he's just like any other human, so he can defy orders and do whatever he intends to do.

14. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    There in no way evil. They have emotions, but are loyal, ultimately, to Palpatine. It's as Lama Su said, they follow orders without question, even if it conflicts with their emotions.

15. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    They're like zombies or something. No feelings. No emotion.

They have feelings and emotions, that's been shown in Episode's III, IV, V, and VI, they interact with each other, and other characters, in a joking manner, humor is one of the most basic emotions.

16. mlbfan

mlbfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2004
    Like in that scene in ANH, when Obi-wan is sneaking around shutting down to tractor beams. The two troopers were talking about some TC-16 ship. Is that what you mean by human interaction?

17. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    No, the clones weren't evil. It was drilled into them from the very beginning of their lives that they must follow all orders without question.

When directive 66 was issued it would have caused confusion in some of the clones, they were after all being told to execute the Jedi who had been leading them through the battles, but because of their training they would still follow the order.

Cody, for example, in RotS, is a good friend to Obi-wan and obviously respects him, but when directive 66 is enacted he has to fire at Obi-wan, no matter what he thinks about it. In a way though, I think he was trying to save Obi-wan.

Did he order a squad of Clones to attack Obi-wan in a Gunship?

No, but he could have.

Did he have a sniper shoot Obi-wan in the back?

No, but he could have.

What did he do?

He had the clones under his command fire a big inaccurate artillary cannon at him and then refused to send a squad to investigate Obi-wan's "Death"

I think that while, being a clone, Cody had to obey the order, he also tried to ensure that he would fail his objective, on purpose.

And a good thing he did it too, otherwise I might not be here posting this. :D

18. DarkSider99

DarkSider99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2005
    no, when sidious ordered order 66 they had to because they have to follow a direct order.

19. kann

Apr 24, 2005
    Cody, for example, in RotS, is a good friend to Obi-wan and obviously respects him, but when directive 66 is enacted he has to fire at Obi-wan, no matter what he thinks about it. In a way though, I think he was trying to save Obi-wan.

That doesn't justify his tone of voice when he shouted "Blast him!" though.

And remember when the clone search for Obi-Wan afterwards. Do you think he would keep that going if he wanted to save him?

"But sir, nobody could've survived that fall..." says a trooper.
    "Keep searching!" replies Cody.

20. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    They're not evil, they're not good. They're not people. Just drones. Cody wan't getting along with Obi-Wan, secretly plotting killing him the whole time. He jsut got along with obi-Wan because it wasn't against orders to do so, but when the order came in to kill him, he just followed the order without question. Rememberwhen theys aid that they tampered with their genetic structure to make them totally obediant and docile? The clones may be able to think creatively in the heat of battle, which is their advantage over droids, but they were still just mindless drones, and did not have any souls. That was the point of the whole scene where Cody accepts Order 66 so calmly, just to show how cold they really are.

Slimy!

21. kann

Apr 24, 2005
    Copy that!

22. Darth_Kickass

Darth_Kickass Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    No they were supposed to follow palpatine's orders, but maybe he knew he was the sith lord but maybe he told them or he will kill them. Didn't we hear one of the clone troopers say sorry to their leader?

23. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005

That doesn't justify his tone of voice when he shouted "Blast him!" though.

And remember when the clone search for Obi-Wan afterwards. Do you think he would keep that going if he wanted to save him?

"Keep searching!" replies Cody

Hey, he had to make it sound convincing. [face_worried]

24. Cmdr_Gabe_E

Cmdr_Gabe_E Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2003
    "Keep searching!" replies Cody

Hey, he had to make it sound convincing.

Cody: In fact, you can start by looking for him in...um...there, that room over there.

*Cody ushers the clones into the Utapau storage room*

Cody: Run, Obi, Run!!!

heheheheh

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    The clones are like the battle droids just more Advanced. They are not Good or Evil. Its the one who give them orders that are evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.