main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Were you disappointed that Rey and Finn's relationship never became anything romantic?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
?

Were you disappointed that Rey and Finn's relationship never became anything romantic?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, they did not become popular among “female fans.” Female fans here have told you multiple times that we did not like the ‘ship.

There were a couple of them. And the genders of people who posted there were as varying as the genders of people who post all over this site.

Again...stop mansplaining to us what became popular with us. You absolutely are stereotyping women. “Not all women but...” is still telling us what we like.

Systemic racism and how it played into Finn’s writing and promotion can definitely be pointed out, as well as his his portrayal which calls back bad stereotypes of Black characters.

Adam Driver is a good actor, but that does not mean his character was owed a romance with Rey, especially after all the marketing about the “first female Jedi protagonist” and “the Force is female” and then they turned her into another bad stereotype, this time of female characters. “Women are good, men are bad and need a good woman to fix them.” That stereotype.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hey!

Just because you claim to not steretype doesn't mean it's not what you're doing. Knock it off.

3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    What did Finn do or not do that caused a bad stereotype to be assumed? A lot of characters in Star Wars did some shady things or perhaps acted selfishly at first(Han Solo?) but that doesn't define the character. I thought Finn started off great - he was unsure of himself, funny, somewhat lost but then showed that he had a good heart. I didnt see that as a "knock on a black guy" thing at all. As Ive said, the biggest issue with his character was that they didnt seem to know what to do with him and each film it appeared they wanted him to go in a different direction. In TFA, he was the klutzy anti-hero with a good heart and started to like Rey. In TLJ he got the Rose/Canto Bight treatment(barf) and just spun his wheels per se. Then in TROS they decided to give him yet another lady hook-up and make him force sensitive. Ugh. Just a terrible mess. But I dont see racism here. Just bad writing. IMO.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Comic relief sidekick, works in sanitation.

There were many, many other directions they could go other than that one.

5. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh I agree on the "direction" part but clearly he wasnt in sanitation long since he did get into the stormtroopers gang. Right? I dunno how employment works with the first Order though. :D.

As for being a sidekick - I disagree there. He was instrumental in rescuing Rey, he saved Poe and because of his actions the Resistance got their droid & map. Id say thats pretty good for a comic sidekick! Yes, he was unsure of himself and not some perfect hero that just dispenses with the enemy whilst not a hair on his head coming out of place. Thats OK. Its human. Its real. It felt authentic. I never once said "oh look, the black janitor guy" or anything like that. I liked Finn and was saddened by what they didnt do with him. I dont want to argue with you - I think we are mostly on the same page here. I just didnt find much racism behind his treatment. Thats just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think we are mostly on the same page as well.

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    TFA is a good overall treatment for Finn, all things considered, and I'd say that Boyega's positive feelings there reflect the actual substance of his role in that film.

It's the "what they didn't do with him in later films and material" part, and a few cases of stuff they *did* do in later material, that makes me think of "soft," unintentional racism - aka, white privilege. It's not a prejudice of malice or conscious thought, but it *is* still a product of damaging biases and ignorance. TLJ especially seems astoundingly disconnected from the character's experiences and story, and does seem to deliberately try and undercut him as a dramatic figure and make him more of a ceomdic supporting character (not sidekick, though... as Rey's more the sidekick of this film). That later comic that decided his flashback story needed to be about him as a janitor saving some animals, though? And the high probability that LFL ordered his TROs story cut down? And the way they seemed so nonchalant about marketing Kylo as the male lead instead?

It's not a racism of hate. It's a racism of apathy and forgetfulness. It's not the type of the lynch mob, or the deliberate sabotage of a superior officer to enforce a desired social strata. It's the type of racism that comes with token representation that never gets ambitious and seems designed for a limited mindset, or that thinks that things are fine just the way they are when an informed opinion would reveal that no, they aren't. It's the thing behind decades of almost exclusively white quarterbacks in the NFL long after the color barrier broke, not the color barrier itself.

It's not the idiot screaming about miscegenation, its the person who just forgot to think that maybe their daughter could date a guy who's black and just keeps thinking she's dating one of her white peers automatically, and has to be told to see what's happening in front of their eyes.

Like, Finn definitely got disregarded and disrespected in the other films and material in comparison to TFA, even though Boyega worked harder than many of his peers and it paid off astoundingly well. And even the decision to promote Kylo/Ben as the lead didn't require the degree of apathy and unambitiously banal wastes of time with Finn - and it feels like the kind of thing that wouldn't happen to Finn if, say, it was Adam Driver playing him instead of John Boyega.

And I do mean that; I feel like if Abrams had cast Kennedy's preferred actor in the male lead role he created of Finn from the original male lead rough draft, and cast someone else as the Jedi Killer half of the character (even with the tie to the Solos), we'd be talking about Rey and Finn as the story's romance, and not Rey and Kylo. A lot of that has to do with Driver being Kennedy's preferred leading man... but some of it would likely comes from certain people just having their mind automatically label a white guy as a romantic partner for Rey when their minds didn't for Boyega.

8. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    A well thought out post here and I agree with some of it. But without concrete proof its hard for me to accept that race played much of a role here. I do agree with your statement about "apathy and forgetfulness" which certainly could have mattered here. Like - when things are so ingrained in ones behvaior we tend to just do them without thinking - like automatically having the white female hook up with the white guy because...well..... cant have a mixed race relationship!. I get it and its quite possible here. But Kathleen Kennedy appears to be the type that would be empathetic towards race issues so for her to "give the order" to screw over Finns character seems out of character for her but I could be wrong.

Overall, I just think this was a case of the sequel trilogy being somewhat of a "made up as they went mess" and just about every character/situation/creative decision had some issues or got mucked up in some ways. Not just the one black guy. And you seem to agree that Finn for a solid treatment in TFA which I say he certainly did. He had a mini-arc right in that film and he was setup perfectly for the next two films to be a major part of the proceedings. Like my man Lando! :). But. to me the writing failed Finn(and others) more than any racism issues despite some possible "forgetfulness" as you mentioned. I'd be more on board if the entire sequel trilogy was as tight and cohesive as the OT or even the PT and just Finn got the shaft and it was entirely obvious that it was because he was the wrong color. But I just dont feel that way. The whole ST has plenty of messes and a bunch of them have nothing to do with Finn. I still like his character, just wish he got more here....like being Reys main love interest! ;)

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think she gave an order to screw over Finn’s character nor do I think Johnson or Abrams intentionally did so. I think they just did not pay attention or notice that that’s what was happening. Kennedy and Johnson were more concerned with Adam Driver and Kylo to notice that both Finn and Rey got saddled with bad stereotypes so that his character could be promoted.

10. Bia Surik

Bia Surik Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2020
    The most absurd thing that I read in reviews about TLJ was that the movie was feminist and people that didn't like was far right fans, this show how much Disney used some internet extremists to invalid any criticism about the movie, and the profisional critics go along with this for fear association with extremists.

Rey in movie don't have a real arc, TLJ it's all about Kylo Ren become a real sith that TROS screw away, she end the movie where her start: felling alone, without no significant delevopment in learn be a Jedi, about the Force or even in no be dependent of a family, like TROS shows. Rey don't have an coming of age arc in TLJ like Luke and Anakin, that are show grown up in their final movies for example.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The idea that TLJ is feminist is indeed absurd. If I did not know better I would think it intentionally mocked feminism.

12. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I'm glad to do without the smooches.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Disappointed? No.

Darkstrider likes this.
  14. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't think I've seen a lot of this discussion, but based on the little that I've seen, I don't think saying something is popular with female fans is necessarily the same as saying only female fans liked it and/or all female fans liked it and/or even that the majority of female fans liked it. I think it doesn't have to mean telling anyone what they like and/or stereotyping.

Darkstrider likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Two of the ST mods already addressed this so I’m not sure why you’re bringing it up again.

That said—

Claiming something is “popular with female fans” is claiming to speak for female fans about what we like, making assumptions about—yes—all of us (or “maybe you don’t fit within my assumption therefore you don’t count as a female fan”), and—again, yes—stereotyping. Because that is what making assumptions about “what female fans like” is.

There is no reason why, in making the point the poster was trying to make, he could not have used “Reylo was brought in for people who like a specific type of romance.” There is no need whatsoever to bring gender of any fans into it—other than to make stereotypical comments about gender, which is what happened.

Joystick Chevron and Def Trooper like this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If I can try addressing the demographic arguments here for a bit...

...I’d say what data we do have would suggest that, at minimum, the attempt to use Reylo to draw in a larger and more profitable slice of the female population was a failure; that regardless of the exact nature of its draw to some fans (those already in the fanbase and those outside), it’s overall impact was, at best, negligible enough to fail to counteract the diminishing returns fo the rest of the ST, and at worst, that it actually depressed the female demographic’s creation of the films’ profits as the series went on.

And that some of that can be seen by comparing it in terms of style and tone to what people who thought Finn and Rey were being setup in TFA were looking at.

Star Wars is an Action-Adventure series; the sci-fi trappings, space opera tropes, and the varying degrees of fantasy it contains are all, ultimately, mere funnels through which the action and adventure is delivered. And Action-Adventure is one of the most successful genres of fiction: just about everyone likes it, and demographically, it actually doesn’t have much defined bias outside of that introduced by other elements (like the distinctly more male power fantasy elements that show up in some works vs others, like the James Bond franchise vs something like The Goonies.)

TFA’s possible suggestion of Finn and Rey is the type of romance that’s right at home in an Action-Adventure story; it’s two adventurers with a great rapport and complementary character arcs where the adventure is always the attraction - even in the romance department. The “fun” aspect is the main appeal of successful romances in the Indiana Jones films, Han and Leia in Star Wars, or stuff like Steve Trevor and Wonder Woman or Aang and Katara in The Last Airbender. Those kind of romances attract repeat customers... and merchandise hunters as well.

The reason Reylo didn’t attract the same degree of profitable customers is because the way it was presented - as a more soap-opera style angsty forbidden romance. Now, you can have an angsty forbidden romance and still have it fit an action and adventure story... provided the fun and adventure is still there as the main attraction, even in the angst (think Ciena and Thane from Star Wars: Lost Stars, where the very mortal peril of their conflict and the way it clashes with their feelings leads to action scenes and tense confrontations... even when they’re being peaceful with each other!)

What undermined Reylo, at its core, was the action and adventure element was almost just tacked on - the appeal was supposed to just be about the emotional drama in TLJ. And since TLJ sacrificed everything - including taste and imagination - to set-up it’s version of Proto-Reylo... it became a question of whether or not just the angsty emotional story (and mostly just for Kylo) was enough to keep people coming.

And evidently... It didn’t. At least, not enough to offset those it drove away or (arguably worse) bored.

17. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Going back to the subject of teasing briefly, I just remembered the scene in TLJ where Rey tells a message to Chewie for Finn (presumably in the very likely event that she dies) and we never learn what that message was. There was no dialogue between them at the end, but there was also the way she was looking at Finn when he was tending to Rose. We never learn what that was about either.

It's all just, so awkward and half-baked. Then to have the same thing happen in TROS was infuriating; FFS, just commit to something. Like, even though Han's fate and Luke/Leia was still up in the air after ESB, at least there was zero doubt at all that Leia had feelings for Han even if she switched to Luke in ROTJ.

Finn and Rey in TFA was so simple, you could take it or leave it and it was so inconsequential to the larger plot that it wasn't a big deal if it was a romance or a friendship, but it was a nice potential bonus for those who liked it. TLJ comes along and just creates a huge mess; The most overt romance for much of the film was Reylo, but then that ends with Kylo rejecting Rey and becoming a raging manbaby. There's Finn/Rose, a sloppy relationship that was rarely endearing and often ridiculous. There's Finn/Rey, with the aforementioned teasing. And lastly, Rey/Poe, seemingly the last dude left for Rey (assuming there was a mandated cliche hetero romance) who isn't an evil d-bag and wouldn't cause a messy triangle, so Trevorrow went with that (to a rather limp result).

18. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't know if I think that. I think it's not really that hard for some to post something without necessarily thinking that some others may take it as a generalization.

On the flipside of that, the person (not saying this was their intention), may be saying that the studio may register it as popular with female fans.

Darkstrider likes this.
  19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure it was something the films needed i.e. Rey and Finn being romantically linked... primarily because it could have naturally gone several different ways after TFA. However, if there were to be a romance (based off TFA), one would have assumed it would have been Finn and Rey... and it was probably a missed opportunity to have an interracial romance in Star Wars that could have been developed over three films. The films didn't need it, but it would have been a very positive message to promote.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Studios should not stereotype either.

On topic I think Rey and Finn had the potential for a dynamic like Kanan and Hera had, or a space fantasy version of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her husband (there was a recent article in Vogue about them), and that was wasted in favor of Rey losing IQ points.

godisawesome and Darth PJ like this.
  21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Am I disappointed. No.

I think if JJ sticked to his guns of the script and had Rey and Finn’s relationship more adversarial in TFA like intended. The relationship would continue to evolve and we may have gotten a great romance in the trilogy.

However, because he rewrote while filming to characters of Rey/ Finn to match Daisy/John’s real life playful friendship as soon as they escape Jakku, , then the romance angle was doomed before take off in TFA.

Darkstrider and Darth PJ like this.
  22. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Look, I'm not an expert on relationships by any means but this seems very backwards to me. Playful should imply potential romance much more than adversarial does.

2Cleva, cwustudent, Riv_Shiel and 6 others like this.
  23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    And yet they stayed that way throughout TFA, TLJ and TROS.
    Yes see. The ST copied many parts of the OT. You’d think they’d copy one of the best parts, which was the Han/Leia relationship and how it evolved.

But they didn’t. Instead, it comes off as if Finn is Rey’s non-needed loyal lap dog.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Darkstrider and Darth PJ like this.
  24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Rey was Luke. she wasn't Leia. Finn was Leia. Poe was Han. but they wouldn't have gone that far with it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Darkstrider likes this.
  25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    who was Han then in TFA? :p

cwustudent likes this.