main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Were you disappointed that Rey and Finn's relationship never became anything romantic?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
?

Were you disappointed that Rey and Finn's relationship never became anything romantic?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yet, you’ll hear others say Finn was Han.

All in all, it wasn’t a 100% Generation copy. As Finn has traits of Luke, Leia, and Han. Poe has traits of Luke, Leia and Han. And Rey has traits of Luke, Leia and Han.

Edit: that’s easy @christophero30. He was Obi Wan/Qui Gon

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its not just about traits. its about who filled in a role. Rey was obviously in the Luke role. repeating several OT beats in the Luke role. Poe has a cockyness thats very reminiscent of Han. abit too much at times tbh. While Finn is in between Rey and Poe in terms of personality but doesn't quite have the Han cockyness. so he is pretty much in the Leia role IMO.

Darkstrider likes this.
  3. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Lol that wasn't some foregone conclusion dude, bad writers wrote a bad story. It's not about filling a specific "OT mold" either, because as you guys have already said, none of the characters fit well enough. Same goes for the PT; the roles are similar on the surface, but there's no exact OT mold that the PT characters fit into all the time, because the stories are fundamentally different and have different goals.

The ST writers could've done whatever they wanted, especially with Finn because he was the most unique protagonist TFA introduced, and as I've said before, **** was getting real at the end of TFA. Both Finn and Rey were desperate not to lose the other, and there was power in the idea that neither of them had someone care for them before they met each other. The writers were limited only by their own creativity/ego/biases.

2Cleva, cwustudent, reyvision and 3 others like this.
  4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Living through the Disney Renaissance has taught me the light, barely-there conflict between Rey and Finn resembled the vast bulk of those successfully communicated romances in those films; the conventional "fairy tale" or adventure romance is generally more positive than negative - even the "belligerent sexual tension" aspect tends to be as brief as the small spat Rey and Finn have.
    ...I actually always kind of felt that if we *had* to identify ST characters with specific OT archetype, then yeah, Finn is the Han in TFA - he's the ostensibly mortal and unpowered human who nonetheless has a combination of guile, charisma, and will to be a scrappy but successful underdog. He and Han's rapport defintiely feels like a passing of th etorch there.

Poe was only ever really a Wedge-like figure in TFA: he's too professional, competent, and cool-headed to be Han there.

Overall, though, I actually agree with this:
    TFA feels more like a fun twist on a kind of conglomerated character throwback for everyone - Rey and Finn are both going through Hero's Journeys, both have some element of Han to them, and I think the general idea of Kylo being on a Villain's Journey was meant to be a twisted parody of Luke as well.

...But I would say that after TFA, Boyega was definitely being set-up more as Ford's successor than anything else... and I think that was inconvenient for LFL because that would also make him the most likely romantic lead.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But would Rey have been a romantic lead since she was Luke’s successor?

Darkstrider likes this.
  6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I never see any Han Solo in Finn. if you go by the type of cocky or slightly overconfident character Han is, its certainly not Finn.

Finn is an example of an OT grounded character. which is what JJ was going for. thats why we got all the WOO!SBut he certainly was no Han Solo.

I know some people say that the whole him being a stormtrooper was unique, but to me its about as Unique as "they fly now". i feel like its not a concept thats strange to Star wars, its just strange to the OT. and thats why the storm trooper thing never really hit home for me. even more so when they are still used as expendable troops that even Finn is fine to kill and WOO! about. and Finn won't WOO!'s because remember that time in episode 4 when Luke and Han were blasting ships in the falcon? makes it more exciting if they throw out some pride in their victory!

Darkstrider likes this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    If Poe is Han and Leia is Finn... whose on first base??? ;)

8. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Were you disappointed by [insert literally anything from the ST]?

Yes.

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That’s actually the fascinating question to have with any debate about how much we should regard the ST’s characters as analogues to OT3 characters, *especially* the “ST3” from TFA (before Poe became a member of the hero side and there was some confusion with then other characters) - because the initial hero side is made of two characters who are mixing all 3 OT3 characters while the villain side is a hodgepodge moisture of “Evil Luke” + Anakin... there’s not really any clearly defined exact analogue for the Han and Leia Romance of the OT3.

It’s easier to see where Finn might have some parts of Luke’s evolution and Han’s attitude and place in the story, where Rey’s got some of Han’s rough and tumble nature combined with Luke’s story and Leia’s spirit, where Kylo has Anakin’s moodiness while going through a reverse Luke story (and maybe some of the aristocratic aspect of his mother Leia)...

...But trying to figure out if any character, let alone Rey, necessarily fits the part of Leia as the (sorry for the problematic phrasing) “pursued love interest?” That’s a lot less clear - Rey in TFA is a bit too assertive to be the usually archetype of the “pursued love interest” - she actually kind of has too much of Han in terms of her bluntness, and she *is* an heir to Luke, who wound up not being a romantic lead by the time the OT was over.

Both Abrams the first time around and Johnson in TLJ seemed to approach Rey as being at least someone they could apply some vague, easy-to-take-back romantic “inclinations” towards Finn and Kylo that fits with the light touch Lucas applied to Luke in the OT (and maybe Obi-Wan in TCW)... albeit, I think that TFA had Finn and Rey’s relationship resemble something where both participants have elements of Han and Leia (neither being too assertive but neither be passive either), while TLJ saw some of the worst aspects of Padme show up in Rey as well to Kylo’s Anakin.

That’s why I kind of think that you usually see “Rey could have been single” as a generally accepted option - her character creation doesn’t make her a “necessary” romantic type. But I think there’s a generally more accepted beliefs that Finn and Kylo both seem more intuitively romantic figures - with the caveat that Finn has more of the Han-esque “charming dork“ role while Kylo’s got the less appealing Anakin-flavor.

Darth PJ likes this.
  10. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't know whether or not the discussion was in favor of that.

11. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Eh. I think Finn has a similar arc within TFA, as a Han does in ANH, with going from being selfish to taking a heroic action. Yes, I think the Han as a character is divided between Poe and Finn, but I think there's some of Han in Finn. While Poe has a bit of Leia in his character function in TFA. And I think there's a little Leia thrown into Rey's function within the plot at the end in her being kidnapped and held by the black clad villain, who interrogates her for information.

12. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Lots of female fans were obsessed with Rey Kylo and started shipping them and talked about their 'sexual chemistry'. This is simple undeniable. Women are the fans of most romantic stories. Very few men care about romance.

Check out Fanfiction.net. Lots of fanfictions about Rey Kylo, their children etc. on that site. Who wrote these? Not the male fans.

I'm not mansplaining anything lol. Stories like 50 shades of grey, Twilight, 365 days.....where the woman has gets with a bad guy and has to fix him are very popular among women. It's an age old trope in fantasy stories like Beauty and the Beast. I'm not stereotyping women. These things are very popular among women and are best sellers. It's not the men watching and reading these types of romantic stories.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Really? No men watch those? [face_laugh]

I guess no women ever watch sports and I become a man every time I watch football or basketball. I also become a man every time I drink beer.

BTW, the best fan fiction beta reader I ever knew was a man. He also wrote quite a bit of it, as do many other men.

You are stereotyping women, and by telling me and other women here what we like, you are mansplaining.

If you were not, you would not insist over and over again on including gender in your commentary, as opposed to saying “Reylo was included for people who like a specific type of romance” or something similar. By not taking that direction, your commentary about “not stereotyping women” is null and void. “I’m not stereotyping women but...” is stereotyping women.

2Cleva, cwustudent and alwayslurking like this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's enough repeated warnings for this... enjoy your vacation.

15. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    So - watched Last Jedi last night(in 3D on my OLED :) ). The first person Finn is thinking of when he comes out of his coma is Rey. He asks where she is first when Poe helps him unhook the tubing. Then, he clearly wants to find her and makes that his sole "mission" at that point when Rose busts him. Rey also says to Chewie "If you see Finn.....(Chewie barks a few lines) yes, tell Finn that" before she goes of to confront Kylo. We dont know what Chewie actually said to her but again, she was thinking of Finn during a tough/stressful time. Then, towards the very end when Finn is checking on Rose in th Falcon, Rey throws him a look that appreciates that he's being kind to Rose but also maybe a *little* disappointment too.

So, yeah, its ALL there in TFA and I think most of the way through TLJ that ReyFinn should have been an item. I'll always fee that was a hugely missed opportunity. And, I hated Reylo to make matters even worse. Now of course Im on the last film which is clearly my least favorite. Ugh. TROS is barely watchable. I could almost end the sequels/entire saga after Last Jedi. Luke had a beautiful death, Kylo is still bad, Rey is a mystery which is OK with me and the resistance is in the same spot as usual. Even better? Palpatine is still NOT a factor and remains gone aka the end of ROTJ & Anakins sacrifice stay 100% valid.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  16. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't think saying that women like something is the same as stereotyping as all women do, or saying you do. Now this:
    I think is stereotyping both men and women. In what I think is the suggestion that only women read/write these stories. I've read bad boy good girl fanfic. I wouldn't put money on some men not writing it as well. I've written romance fanfic in the past.
    I don't think Twilight has the woman fixing the bad boy.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    thought they had friend zone all over them from day one

Darkstrider likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That doesn’t matter. Best friends become romantic pretty often.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Rian Johnson being the dude who wrote TLJ itself kind of proves that point, and the way that a classic “femme fatale” romance interest plays into the reverse of the “bad boy good girl” shows what he was probably thinking of.

To be honest, the biggest issue is that he’s trying to apply a femme fatale-style plot to Kylo... but Kylo’s not really got the ambiguity of that idea, nor does Johnson manage to write Rey as the kind of hard boiled hero that would accompany that. I think he genuinely just has problem not writing woman in some kind of traditional way: I’ve seen him do the Femme Fatale, Evil Matriarch, The Ingenue, Lost Lenore, and the Good Digger, but Rey is clearly set-up to be an Action Girl with some features of the Ladette... and he seemed to try and hammer in some of The Ingenue instead.
    Heh... I actually refuse to compare Twilight to Reylo... because I don’t want to insult Twilight that much.
    Okay, I’m going to be blunt here, I see that as a bunch of bull-honkey for three reasons:

1. “Friend zone” is already a bull honey idea even when applied to real life - it’s basically trying to squeeze in an excuse for unrequited love that usually blames women for being “incapable” of having friends and lovers, which is patently untrue and pretty sexist.

2. This is fiction. Characters get paired by the writers and creators. Saying that two characters somehow “couldn’t” work as lovers is much more a personal choice by an audience member. And tied to that...

3. ...In a series that has the stench of Reylo in it, trying to claim any single other pairing seems unlikely in the wake of TFA is foolhardy. I mean, for all that someone might say they saw “too much friendship” or something like that... it’s pretty hard to argue that Rey and Kylo didn’t have “too much assault, violation, and torture.”

20. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i just don't think there is much romance in the ST

Darkstrider likes this.
  21. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Call it toxic, stalkery, obsessive, co-dependent or controlling or whathaveyou, but I wouldn't accuse Edward of trying to hurt/kill people Bella cares about, on purpose, or even necessarily hurt Bella on purpose in that way. His character, in the movies anyway, being someone who has a darker past, when Bella meets him, is someone trying to live a peaceful non-violent, co-existence with people that he may want to feed on. I think TLJ doesn't quite see the balance between the bad boy being dangerous and/or mysterious and actually being an active clear and present danger to the people the female protagonist good girl cares about. I think The Vampire Diaries really tows that line of not seeing the balance a lot as well, but seems to try, moreso in the early seasons, to keep it so the good girl stays at odds with the bad boy when he's being bad.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Edward was definitely stalkerish and controlling (taking out a part in Bella’s car so she couldn’t go see Jacob, to give one among many examples). And Bella was an idiot, moping for months after he left, and considering riding a motorcycle off a cliff so she could hear his voice.

The relationship was toxic but not nearly as much as Reylo.

cwustudent and godisawesome like this.
  23. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I didn’t really “feel” any romantic chemistry between Rey and Finn, so it didn’t bother me that the potential romance there was dropped.

That being said, what DID bother me was that the romantic feelings between Finn and Rose at the end of TLJ were just ignored completely in TRoS.

cerealbox and Darkstrider like this.
  24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I suspect a lot of people did not want a biracial romance between a black man and a white woman, acting as leads in a Star Wars movie. Am I accusing part of the Star Wars fandom of racism? If I must honest . . . yes. Does this mean I believe Lucasfilm was right not to allow Finn and Rey to become romantically involved? No. I think Lucasfilm and Disney should have shown some balls and allowed the romance to proceed. To this day, despite shows like "The Mandalorian" or movies like "Rogue One" and "Solo", I have nothing but deep-seated contempt toward Lucasfilm and Disney for their cowardice.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    cwustudent and Def Trooper like this.
  25. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    This. If the trilogy handled things better, with character development and everything else, I would have been cool with it. Ugh I'm still upset with Finn in TLJ.