main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Were you disappointed that Rey and Finn's relationship never became anything romantic?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
?

Were you disappointed that Rey and Finn's relationship never became anything romantic?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Yup. Whether or not romance was the plan for them, what I wanted most was for them to be layered, interesting characters that stood out among the previous protagonist groups.

If that meant growing them separately in film 2, then I was down for that. But the disrespect shown to Finn and the Twilight-ification of Rey soured my whole outlook on Disney Star Wars.

I recently went back and watched the Falcon escape scene from TFA after a couple of years, and it just reminded me how the chemistry between Rey and Finn (be it romantic or platonic) was one of the very few things I liked about that film, and words can't really describe how deeply saddened I am that we never really got that again.

2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    It's interesting how many believe that Finn was the only major character badly handled in the ST films. I personally believe that all or most of them were badly handled - including Rey, Poe Dameron, Kylo Ren, Luke and Leia.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think Finn *can* stand out, even to supporters of the overall ST at times, because there’s such a noticeable difference between the ambition and centrality of focus he has in TFA versus the other two films and supporting material... and that for those more critical of the ST, it’s also apparent how bad everyone is the more you compare and contrast Finn and his relationships with the other characters.

I mean, pretty much no one argues for Finn’s story in TLJ and TROS should be counted in the best parts of those movies, while it’s hard to argue successfully that his TFA story and relationships weren’t a concensus highlight of TFA. People can obfuscate about Rey, Kylo, or Luke being used well and in character because what praise TLJ or TROS gets will usually involve them somewhere, even if they clearly aren’t lined up with TFA or as successful as some supporters hope... but with Finn, the drop off is hard to deny.

(I’d say that’s also why you see some TLJ defenders seem to retroactively denigrate and demote Finn in TFA - he can’t really suffer a drop-off if he was never that high to begin with. It’s just hard to take that argument seriously because it requires blatant double standards.)

And I think that it can be easier to diagnose what’s wrong with other characters by looking at them in relation to Finn: Rey is clearly being written less intuitively and believably away from Finn and Kylo is clearly more being misinterpreted than changed because of how everything that made him a good foil for Finn is now being downplayed.

In example, the more aware you are of Finn’s TFA peak, and the more likely you are to see TFA as the ST’s peak... than it can be obvious that Kylo isn’t as substantial or engaging a male lead as Finn, and that while you can see where a romantic relationship could organically spring from Rey and Finn’s emotionally intimate and believable platonic bond in TFA, there really isn’t anything like that with Rey and Kylo in the other films... nor is there anything like that with Finn and his two main love interests.

Troopa212, 2Cleva, reyvision and 2 others like this.
  4. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    And by the time TROS came out, I felt like that chemistry was way gone.

5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And I feel that's a somewhat inaccurate assessment - it wasn't that it had dried up or been overshadowed by some other relationship for the characters... it was intentionally countered, dismissed and "fought against" by LFL through TLJ and TROS, and primarily for an anemic and one-way relationship between Rey and Kylo that favored him at *everyone* else's expense... but especially Rey and Finn as individual characters and as even a platonic relationship together.

It seems pretty clear that Rian Johnson's main goal regarding Rey and Finn was ensuring their bond was effectively non-existent in his film, likely because he didn't want to risk even a possible comparison of Ridley and Boyega's proven and universally accepted chemistry against his version of Rey and Kylo's relationship - yes, I'm accusing Johnson of having writing insecurity about the main relationship he was writing, because I think he's too good to be entirely unaware of the weakness in Rey and Kylo's interactions.

And TROS seems to have been a film made under duress regarding Finn and Rey - it sounds like LFL didn't even want a purely platonic scene between the two characters alone, like they almost want Poe present in all those scenes to make sure that at no point do we think of Finn and Rey as a pair of characters.

2Cleva, Blastaar, Def Trooper and 3 others like this.
  6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    You can add Vader, Palpatine, Han, Chewbacca, and Lando. Bunch of lousy dads.

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Yeah, this was pretty insane. The only time Finn and Rey are allowed to be alone with one another is when she's telling him how nobody gets her, or whatever. And yup, the trio dynamic just feels like it largely exists to keep Poe as a wedge between them, especially considering all the concept art with no Poe to be seen.

It's some of the most bizarre BS I've ever seen, and it totally defeats the purpose of having the two of them back together if you don't write anything that capitalizes on the strengths they had the first time around.

DARTH_BELO, Troopa212, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
  8. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I kept waiting for it to go somewhere:
    "I can't trust anybody."
    "Look, Poe doesn't get it, but I do."
    "Lol no you don't Finn. Get out of here I don't need you."
    And that's it. There's never any resolution, just like the "there's something I need to tell you" scene. I couldn't believe it.

Riv_Shiel, 2Cleva, cwustudent and 3 others like this.
  9. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    And I think I finally found the reasons why this trilogy didn't work for me. They didn't know what to do with these characters. They had the actors, they had the chemistry, and they blew it. UGHHHHHHHH.

2Cleva, cwustudent, Blastaar and 2 others like this.
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Exactly.

You don't necessarily need to plan out the plot if you know and understand the characters.

But if you don't know or understand the characters, it won't even really matter what the plot is.

Almost any of the actors and directors could have made a single or couple of really good romances - the kind that everyone likes, not just romance fans - and instead they basically set up several diametrically opposed possibilities that poisoned the characters.

11. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    One could argue that Finn being a second protagonist in TFA was nothing more than a red herring. Once Rey grabs the lightsaber with the force at the end of TFA, Finn is essentially folded up into a nice little pedestal for Rey to stand on. Finn does get to share the spotlight in TFA, but only as a plot device to surprise the audience. That's not to say that Finn couldn't have continued to share the spotlight with Rey in TLJ, but I can understand when people say the issue starts with TFA.

The plot was probably the main issue. Regardless of what these characters were capable of, Disney/LFL was always going to shove them into the OT story. Nothing could change too much because we were always going to end up retreading ANH, TESB, and ROTJ.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Darkstrider likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I can get the argument as well... I just regard it as too weak to cast the blame for *that* issue at Abrams and Kasdan’s feet.

Han got frozen in carbonite with a genuine chance Ford might not make the comeback, and remained the romantic lead in ROTJ.

And I absolutely despise the “plot device” argument; Finn had a character arc, and Boyega himself has expressed confidence in Abrams’s intent and execution in TFA, and I think trying to make that argument even as hyperbole runs the risk of acting more as a justification for the unjustifiable - replacing Boyega as the male lead with Driver.

I’ll also be blunt and say I don’t think the supremacy of Rey in the story was ever really a bad thing in TFA - it was supposed to be her story, ultimately - and I think it was more than compensated for in a functional way in TFA because Finn was the far more active and dynamic protagonist. Overall, TFA’s portrayal of Rey and Finn was more of a “screen partnership” that benefitted both characters, rather than a simple “sidekick” set-up.

I tend to think that, since Abrams and Boyega clearly stated, felt, and defended Finn as a second protagonist in TFA, and since Boyega has firmly stated his POV points towards LFL for Abrams not bringing him back to that status in TROS... Finn in TFA was objectively the second protagonist, and not meant to be just a decoy at all.

I tend to stand with Boyega in feeling there was a change started by TLJ, and enforced afterwards by LFL, that was not present in TFA.
    See, the thing to me is that when I look at the ST, O don’t think it makes a coherent retread the way the concept would be executed... because the ST doesn’t put the ST characters in the right place for the retread.

In TFA, Rey is “The Luke”, Finn is “The Han” mixed with “The Leia”, Kylo is “The Vader”, Han is “The Obi-Wan”, Poe is “The Wedge” and Luke is set up as “The Yoda”... but by the time TROS rolls around, Rey is forced into splitting “The Luke” role with Ben, “The Han” is split between Ben (as the romantic lead) and Poe (everything else), and Leia is stuck in “The Yoda” role in spite of having limited time, while what’s left of Kylo as “The Vader” is at odds with Ben’s new roles, and Finn is “Man With No Purpose By Order Of LFL.”

And that’s partially because TLJ just had Luke be “The Luke... But Sad and Pathetic!”, Kylo is apparently “The Anakin”, Poe is “The Han we need to deconstruct!”, Rey is “The Padme... And something to be used for The Luke and The Anakin, but she can be something later!” and Finn is “Baggage from the last movie.”

I think that if they meant to “shove these characters into the OT story”... that works out very differently depending on which characters you realize can be shoved into what roles. Kylo basically couldn’t fit any role besides The Vader, but they kept on trying, Rey got lost in the shuffle of TLJ at The Luke’s most important story element, and honestly, Finn was the only real character who could be hammered into the romantic lead role of The Han if they wanted Rey to be The Leia a bit as well, while he also filled better in the other areas of The Han role if they wanted him to.

But for the purposes of this thread especially... if you really wanted to shove in an OT-level romance, Finn and Rey were a lot more intuitive than other options, especially if Finn was still the clear deuteragonist.

2Cleva, Def Trooper and reyvision like this.
  13. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    We can't claim to know for sure until we get more information. Both sides of the argument have merit. I do agree with you, though.

I agree, which is exactly why it didn't work. And the best representation of why is Kylo Ren. Kylo COULD have been a great ultimate villain for IX after killing Han, Snoke, Luke (yeah, he didn't actually kill him, but he didn't hesitate like he did with Leia and HE THOUGHT he was killing him), but Disney/LFL also wanted Kylo to get the redeemed ending that Vader had. So, Kylo still ends up the misunderstood villain simply because they wanted to follow the OT instead of doing something new.

godisawesome likes this.
  14. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Na I never thought of them as a romantic pair.

But I think they could be like one of those relationships that happens when when you’re friends with someone for like 5-10 years and you sort of realise that it’s more than that. Like besties. I think that’d be kinda sweet.

So yeah maybe I’d like to see the characters in their thirties becoming a couple. But not in this trilogy.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s what I had in mind for them, something like the setup for Hera and Kanan, although I don’t think it necessarily takes years. It could take months, which would have been in the time frame for the ST.

Now I think it would take years, because I don’t think Finn should be willing to forgive Rey so quickly for losing her brain for Kylo.

16. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    I would have wished for a love story between Rey and Finn. In contrast, the love story with Finn and Rose was much worse.

Overall, I would have had no problems with a love story between Rey and Finn, while to this day I still don't like the love story between Rey and Kylo.

17. Knights Of The Ren Table

Knights Of The Ren Table Jedi Padawan

Aug 21, 2020
    I mean No? I personally thought he got friendzoned in TFA, but let's say he hadn't, what would them getting together accomplish?
    They're terrible characters individually, so getting them together doesn't do anything to fix that. It would only satisfy the shippers and the fact that shipping was a big part of why the ST sucked, I think we can do without.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Well, from a functional standpoint, it would immediately elevate and ensure Finn in a more prominent role; as a Finn fan, that’s an automatic win for me, and since it would prevent any attempt to mix up Kylo’s antagonistic roles with a poisonously misguided attempt to make him a romantic lead, it would help Rey and Kylo as well. There’s also the fact that Rey and Finn have no poisonously assault-y history between them; normally, it wouldn’t matter that much as a factor, but when the main alternative offered up by LFL was Kylo, well, it becomes a benefit because it’s not promoting a toxic and abusive relationship.

Now, I myself would argue that, flat out, both characters were successful when acting as the primary duo in TFA; they both became immensely popular, won critical, commercial, and fan acclaim in that film. So even just maintaining the platonic connection between them without being scared of it (like Rian Johnson and LFL was) is a benefit to them.

But following through on a romantic element would simply enforce Rey’s TFA-era “found family” even more, and because that would elevate their investment in the heroic story, lift even Rey up a bit by giving her a more personal stake in fighting against the First Order.

And finally, it would streamline the story - because Rey and Finn would now share more screentime and story arcs, there’s less of an immediate need to keep their plot separate, and it even gives the films an excuse to merge Kylo back into an antagonist of Finn again (which also worked in TFA.)

Now to be honest, most of that would just come from writing a positive romance between major characters in a Hollywood movie. But that was always the inherent appeal of the pairing to its ‘shippers - its the softball-pitch to home-run hit in terms of difficulty.

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Not really. After TFA I figured Rey would go the Jedi route like Luke did. And then the next movie happened.

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "maybe sequel trilogy be better movies if everyone love each other? ha ha hai porgy" ~ Tommy Wiseau

godisawesome likes this.
  21. BobasJetPack

BobasJetPack Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2021
    Absolutely not but I would’ve liked to know what Finn was going to say in the quicksand

22. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    According to JJ Abrams, Finn was going to tell Rey that he thought he was force sensitive.

I used to think that was a lie because it would have made little to no sense in that situation for him to prioritize that, let alone over something else he could have said to his friends in their final moments together. However, an interview with John Boyega has let me to believe that JJ Abrams might not have been lying.

BobasJetPack likes this.
  23. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I'm neutral about this. They had a cute chemistry, but I think Finn was just confused about his feelings had just left the First Order and Rey is a jedi and jedi generally don't have relationships.

24. Knights Of The Ren Table

Knights Of The Ren Table Jedi Padawan

Aug 21, 2020
    Doing a romance just to re-center him as the male lead is super problematic because it doesn't take into account what Rey wants and just only benefits finn. The romance is pretty much like reylo in the sense that Rey doesn't want to be with Finn or Kylo, although there was more attempt to have her want to be with Kylo in TROS with the whole "I did want to take your hand". I also think Finn is sort of a beta male. He is 23 years old and isn't mature, or self-disciplined, has terrible self-control, always devolving into comedy. I don't think women like jokester guys. He is like a child. Rey is far more mature, self-disciplined, and has better self-control than him. Feel like she could better.

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    ...Yeah, this sounds like a lot of misplaced infantilization for a former child slave soldier who has enough conscience and bravery to break free of his brainwashing.

Also, all “beta male/alpha male/whatever” commentary is total bupkis; it’s frat-boy “psychology” unworthy of respect or serious consideration.

However, I do think there is something be argued here about what Rey would get out of it.

Firstly, a major issue with the argument is that Reylo is simply going to be worse than any other option, at least as portrayed by Johnson and LFL. That’s going to skew a lot of arguments both ways: literally any other romantic option for Rey rises in comparison, while people who don’t like that point will degrade any alternative to protect Reylo.

But secondly... there’s something to be said for whether or not Rey would benefit from a bit of a “reverse-stereotype” romance or if she should go celibate. The celibacy argument is one Star Wars fans have had before - there’s a lot of philosophical arguments for and against, and a general fact that most fiction writers will inevitably ignore it for the sake of drama. But more than that, there’s an argument to be made that having Rey carry the more “traditionally male” part of a romance, with greater impact on the main story and greater martial efficacy, could be progressive and useful for pushing her as a groundbreaking character for Star Wars.

But beyond that... Finn is a better man than a great many other characters in Star Wars. And he’s a lot like Han in his charisma and humor, but less “creepy because of the time the film was made” type of invasive.