main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate West Coast Secession Talks

Discussion in 'Community' started by corinthia, Nov 12, 2016.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

It will putter out.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    My point was that red state grievances and the secessionist talk they engendered were treated as if they have a certain amount of legitimacy. Blue state secessionist talk ought to be given the same amount of legitimacy, even if nothing comes of it.

appleseed likes this.
  3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I understand what you're saying but there is no legitimacy on either side. Secession is illegal. You want to leave the Union then leave the country as individuals.

Ghost likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Red state secession talk had no legitimacy either. That was the point of my earlier post.

5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It's more cities than states...I don't know what can be done about how divided we are, but it's only gonna get worse and worse. Half of the people in this country hates the other half.

The goal of the right will be to beat minorities and women back into submission and that is their unity. The goal of the left is to make the right accept minorities and the right is not going to do that.

Things are only going to get uglier and uglier and to be honest, they should.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No. However, they are going to die. They're gradually being replaced by more accepting people. While there are many racist, intolerant younger Americans (as we've seen this past week), there aren't enough of them to overcome the number of tolerant and accepting young Americans who are young adults now, or will be in the coming years.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Oh, this again?

Has California finally overtaken Texas in the "Government Is a Big Fat Meany-Head Secession Temper Tantrum" department yet?

8. LinAjax

LinAjax Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2016
    Well I agree the numbers are going to down. But not as much as I would like. So its a gradual decrease.

Cali though is one of the few states that could survive its on.

Meanwhile most of the Red states that want to leave don't contribute **** and take plenty of federal aid mostly for those poor white ****** that voted Trump in.

9. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    It's not going to go down that much, especially here in the South. I work with a good amount of younger people and most of the them are just as vile and racist as people my age and older.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    They're irrelevant electorally. Nobody cares about the South outside of VA, NC, and perhaps GA.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Perhaps this doesn't account for all the variables? Will the accepting young Americans stay accepting as they age? There's also the possibility of a shift in the culture that takes the trend in a different direction.

appleseed likes this.
  12. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, I live the dump known as North Carolina so they are quite relevant.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So, true. The economy of California is the largest in the United States. As of 2015, California's gross state product (GSP) is about $2.496 trillion. And as reported in 2014, re GDP: California Ranks 7th or 8th in the World.

However, California in the years to come could be in danger of remaining a single state. There's a growing difference in economics and political status. The coast of California, particularly in the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley, there's an economic boom and therefor an increase the cost of living. The minimum wage in California is $10/hour and will be $15/hour by 2022. This is still not enough to live in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley but way too expensive for small businesses, especially in the rural parts of the state. There will be huge economic divide in California and "Mom & Pop" stores will not be able to survive with the increase of the minimum wage.

As a result, the inland parts/counties of California are becoming "Red States."

[​IMG]

EDIT: There has been talks about dividing California into six separate states:

It sounds silly right now and most everyone has dismissed the proposal as ludicrous, but I think it will definitely be an issue within the next 10 years.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's been an issue, and has always had vague talk around it, for at least my lifetime and probably longer. Just about every single state is the same.

Related to what I posted in the US Politics thread:

Rhode Island is a microcosm of the country this election... our coastal/educated/urban areas went for Hillary, and the rest for Trump. (

[​IMG]

As a RI Democrat, it's not surprising.

We're almost like a Rust-Belt state in the main cities, with lots of Catholic White Blue-Collar Workers (and some Hispanics), surrounded by suburban and rural Republican-leaning WASPs, and overall have an aging population with a lot of young adults of my generation moving out.

We have never really had progressive Democrats in charge... but the party machine is strong, with lots of DINOs, which is one of the only reasons why we're probably still so Democratic.

People laughed when I showed a map of the very best Trump could do, which ended up being this map, except Rhode Island went red. I hate to say it, but it's not a remote possibility here. Trump's win nationwide will embolden people here.

15. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Is Trump going to have to build a wall around California to keep all the illegal Californians from crossing the border if California secedes from the Union?

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The west coast doesn't get to secede without leaving the Remaining States of America contiguous access to the Pacific Ocean. Practically speaking, the RSA will need Seattle/Tacoma or San Diego and everything north of/south/east of those cities.

Preferably San Diego obviously. The RSA will just carve off the southernmost 30 miles of California all the way across to AZ.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    They can have Alaska.

18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    You mean the place you can see Russia from?

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Alaska doesn't work. RSA needs contiguous continental access to the Pacific. We need a legitimate port. We'll be depriving the PSA of either a Canadian or a Mexican border. Your choice.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah, that's why they're deep in debt and ravaged by a terrible drought and no alternative to strict rationing of secondary water….they would be further toast if they seceded and lost water rights on the upper Colorado River in Utah and Nevada. That water builds their breadbasket.

So no, they are not self-sufficient. Far from it.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Juliet316 and corinthia like this.
  22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I emphasized that to suggest this didn't just begin because Trump.

corinthia likes this.
  24. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Had anyone heard of that movement before now? I certainly hadn't, which is in contrast to the Hawaii Sovereignty Movement and Texas Secessionist Movement.

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Hawaii actually has a legitimate grievance, given how the US Marines overthrew their queen during the last century.

Texas? Well...

Darth Guy likes this.