main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    A European villain who wants an AI governing the world from the shadows, deciding people's fates because he saw his major European city bombed? I see you, Nolan. I see you cribbing your own work. And I am here for it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    To signify that Caleb was moving from genre to genre while on the drug genre in the episode titled "Genre". Either they blew their budget on all the song rights or their budget wasn't high enough to give us visuals from Caleb's POV.

Person of Interest?

3. Joystick Chevron

Dec 31, 2017
    Yeah, that's what he did over there.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah I wasn't sure as I never watched it but I think they mentioned the same thing on the "Decoding Westworld" podcast.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Joystick Chevron

Dec 31, 2017
    Yeah, there's a lot in common between the two shows in general and concepts reused across both (ex. the way they handle the relationship between AI and memories, using Exit Music (for a Film) over a sequence of an AI coming into it's own), but this season has really ticked it up a notch. When that series ended, he mentioned in an interview he didn't want to discuss what the next seasons would have been about because he still wanted to use those concepts, and it feels like that's what I'm seeing this season. Plus they brought in a new EP that was a long standing writer/producer on that series and showrunner for the final season.

6. dorsvenabili

dorsvenabili Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2019
    I never watched Person of interest, is it any good?

7. Joystick Chevron

Dec 31, 2017
    I think it's great, but go in with the knowledge it's a show that starts very different than how it ends. At the start, it's a much more procedural show than it ends up as. But most of those more procedural episodes set up elements that are important for the increasingly serialized later seasons and it does have some ongoing storylines that play out early on.

dorsvenabili likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

The clue here is when Dolores steps in an takes the bullets. Caleb has seen her make a quick recovery so that is not new. His shock is wondering why were they shooting for him.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    These violent delights have violent bah weep granna weep ninny bong.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm loving season three. If I recommend Westworld to someone I might recommend starting with season three and refer to the first two seasons as prequels. I mean, I've been viewing season three like The Matrix and I think most people would be able to follow the plot without watching the first two seasons as the show kind of provides enough background to fill in the gaps.

I'm pretty sure the Riot Robots will come into play very soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I am wondering who is going to use those riot robots, especially since Maeve can control such things unless Dolores had them specifically shielded.

SO:

Now we know Dolores and Serac needed the opposite side of their coin. Serac wanted the collected human data, Dolores wanted the collected host data.

MIW's meetings in the SIM were funny, especially the kid looking over his future.

So it is the mark of good writing and directing that even though you can predict things they still shock or surprise you. I figured Serac would catch hale/Dolores. And as they drove off in their car I was waiting for a bomb to go off and BLAMMO!

The internet points out a couple things. In an earlier episode there is a statue of two figures holding hands and in this episode there is a similar statue all by itself, showing Hale/Dolores might on her own agenda now. Possibly to stop both Serac and Dolores.

The other thing is that one of the hosts being built has the same number code as Clementine. As for the others one might be the female shogun character as the actress was at the red carpet. And of course one might be Teddy.

There is a theory that Caleb might be Serac's brother. But I thought the Serac flashback showed him being taller and not really looking like him, but I suppose that can be changed.

2 more episodes.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    One of the post show YouTube channels I like watching is Screen Crush. Here's their video for Season 3, Episode 5.

I'm glad to see that...
    Maeve and Delores (of sorts) were able to have another conservation and see if there was any alliances could be struck with each other. It was not meant to be.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Char:

verb (used with object), charred, char·ring.
    to burn or reduce to charcoal:The fire charred the paper.
    to burn slightly; scorch:The flame charred the steak.

CHARlotte Hale. [face_tee_hee]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes.

15. dorsvenabili

Dec 2, 2019
    Well Charlores sure didn’t have the high ground this episode :p
    I need to stop watching Westworld when I’m knackered, I end up having far more questions than answers and surely missing small details that will be important.
    Anyway, one thing I noticed is Charlotte’s outfit (because it’s awesome and would like one myself), it’s the same from the 1st episode board meeting (so I guess one of the two occasions is a simulation?).
    I wonder who’s the fourth host body being made (assuming we know the third is Clementine) but moreover who the fifth Dolores is.
    Maeve/Dolores: I don’t know why Maeve would ally with Serac and trust him, guess they made Dolores crush Hectors pearl to give Maeve more of an incentive to hate Dolores.
    Another thing: was the hosts data Halores was uploading? Thought they were destroyed by Angela in the forge last season.
    Also everything Ed Harris is a gift, laughed out loud at the “group” therapy!
    Last but not least as a small criticism, and this is a nitpick, the Italian pronunciation wasn’t realistic (as well as in the second episode).
    Overall, love love the third season definitely more than the second...now all that’s missing a Ford cameo

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    She copied Serac's info and Serac wants the info Dolores has. Dolores has all the people data, Serac has all the host data. Dolores uploaded the info from the forge and has the key to getting it.

dorsvenabili likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    In season 1 we got a Hale that was cold and ruthless.
    In season 2 we got a Hale that was cold and ruthless as well as a Hale host with the mind of Delores.
    In season 3, we're supposed to believe that Hale actually cared about someone other than herself - her son - who she left a message for - and the Hale code that happen to be the strongest in the Delores copy was that of mother? Ehhh, if that's what they're selling, I'm not buying it.

In other news, Westworld renewed for Season 4

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes, Hale had room in her ruthless heart for a message to her child.

Looking at the preview for the next episode, Dolores is gonna take damage. She has lost an arm, and there appears to be a Host skeleton putting on her skin. There is also a shot of her plugged into something with multiple tubes and she is screaming. This could end on a huge failure on her part, with perhaps a ray of hope.

19. dorsvenabili

Dec 2, 2019
    Could it be that the message she sent to her son as the real human Hale was a code for Serac? And the maternal instincts she shows in this season are from her Dolores part? Her son in the first episodes doesn’t recognize her, is it because she’s acting more “maternal”?
    Ps: so glad it’s been renowned for a 4th season!

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I found it odd the way she paused and said buddy in the video to her son so there might be more at play.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And your major revelations for the week.

Rebels bad, must be killed by other rebels. Using the crime app the we saw Caleb using in the earlier episodes. I wonder how many of the other folks using it pawns as well.

We meet Solomon, who I think sounds like the voice from the unfortunate Alien4, the Father voice.

Maeve and Dolores have their showdown and unfortunately for Dolores Maeve brought a gunship. Dolores being Dolores she wins in the end, or survives, via EMP. Obviously they are not dead, their systems are just shut down. And the virtual voice is the Virtual Assistant used by Dolores with instructions.

Judging from the previews Dolores looks like she ordered up a new chasis, and Caleb is going to help put her back together.

So now we know Caleb is not a host and he is not Serac's brother.

1 more episode for the season.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Meant to say also

So William/MIW says he is now the god guy, that he faced his demons, and he's gonna save the world. Yet his solution is to kill all the hosts. No, stupid. That was part of the problem.

23. dorsvenabili

Dec 2, 2019
    Well still love this season as a whole but I have mixed feelings about this episode.
    Maeve/Dolores scenes are always entertaining to watch but I don’t buy Maeve’s motivations (or is it a red herring and she'll rebel against Serac?).
    Also Caleb...this is a very personal opinion but I don’t really like his character and his acting performance, to me he is very one dimensional (never saw the actor in other works so I don’t know if his directive was to act this way).
    Still hope Ford will make a comeback somehow!

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok, really enjoyed this ending and the season as a whole. I still think a few pieces moved to slow and some were obvious

Like the fact Delores didn’t have the key and that she wasn’t super evil. I think many of suspected she had given the key to Bernard. It seemed like he was brought back to be a check on her in case she did get out of control. And I guess, now she is going to stop Halores.

Maeve, glad she finally chose a side but also seemed pretty obvious. Happy that Serac is alive but clearly devastated- he calls Rehoboan brother- so clearly it replaced the brother he had lost. Now, he is truly alone.

William- I think they really did Ed Harris a disserve this season. He just didn’t do much. Now, maybe that was because he was killing a mockingbird :p , but it felt like a lot of build up only for him to be taken out in the end- and I am not even convinced that is the real William who died.

Gina Torres was a great surprise. I’m glad Bernard got that scene in order to move on. But poor Stubs is super dead right? The poor guy really got screwed over by Bernard all season. Now, he’s collected dust in a dirty bathtub.

Caleb was great this season. I really enjoyed his role, but I was surprised that the goons at the riot really were from Delores. I had thought Serac had sent them and they were gonna turn on him. Also like the reveal that Caleb had been in the park- but that Delores was also there was a bit much. She is literally all over the place. Now, her line to Maeve that they are all copies of her is probably the easiest clue and Ford likely had a Delores in each park. But still, it was a bit much.

What I enjoyed most though was the call back to Maeve’s line at the end. ”This is the new world”

As the old world burns.

Overall, much improved from Season 2 but not quite as awesome as Season 1 for me.

A large part of the season seems to be Caleb’s awakening. In many ways, he is a human host. He has been programmed, his memories altered and he is just now starting to wake up and realize what has happened. So if he comes across as a bit robotic, I think that was intentional.

Also, watch Breaking Bad. Jesse is a very different character from Caleb. Both have darkness, but one is far darker than the other.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.