main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What’s your view on Operation Cinder?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, destroying loyal and neutral planets was meant for filtering not fanatically loyal enough Imperials.

Also Vardos could have become an open center for imperial resistance against the New Republic, thereby prolonging GCW. And that was not part of the Contingency, considering original plans for the Battle of Jakku.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For all the criticism the Aftermath trilogy gets, its' idea of an Empire only existing to protect its Emperor was very fitting.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've always seen the Empire (especially now in Canon) as Palpatine's big excuse for a science project.

The Empire is just their for resources as he plots to be god... I mean he needs manpower and free reign somehow.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021
    Sable_Hart likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    He needs... minions.

Sable_Hart and AusStig like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Stormtrooper: BANANA!

Minions
    Resources
    Unlimited access
    Gotta put those cloning facilities somewhere ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021
    PCCViking and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If he's so arrogant then shouldn't his attitude be "well I'm not going to die in the first place"? For him to have this plan at all would mean he'd have to consider "oh hey, this could actually all go sideways and I might die" which doesn't seem like Palpatine.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  7. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    It was. Hence the use of dark science, cloning, secrets only the Sith knew etc.

He's arrogant, but not so stupid as to ignore the very nature of the Sith.

---

One thing that has really sold me on Operation Cinder is that scene with Hess in The Believer. Seeing the fanaticism portrayed on-screen was really effective.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    BigAl6ft6, Sarge and AusStig like this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, that is how I saw it back when he stayed dead.

With him coming back, it makes less sense.

....though maybe he made the contingency before he had a viable way of transferring bodies. Or heck, maybe he wasn't even sure it was going to work. It was obviously far from perfected given his prematurely aged body with severe health problems.

The first part: That would make a fair amount of sense. Make sure all the founders of his return fleet would be the type to strangle their own children to please him so there is less chance of betrayal while he is vulnerable.

The second part is where things get weird. Like, if he is going to return, why did he want to wreck the loyalists that stayed with him this far? Why not drag out the GCW to have everyone be weakened and war weary?

After all, there was no guarantee the New Republic was going to have a small, centralized fleet vulnerable to decapitation strike, and if that was the case his limited of troops would be extremely vulnerable.

(heck that ended up happening anyway once the citizen fleet got together.)

That was a great line and fitting of his attitude.

Yeah, I thought about that too. But ultimately, things aren't black and white. One can be arrogant without being completely detached from reality and having no concept of being able to fail or come to harm. Palps didn't go running into the jedi temple to kill them all himself.

So while he didn't think much of the rag tag rebel alliance and its chances to defeat him, he might still thought it possible that something might kill him.

In particular, it seems fitting that he would consider Vader, his apprentice and pet project, something he molded into the most dangerous thing a person could be, was the only real threat to him. That the only thing that could challenge Palpatine was Palpatine, via his own creation.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  9. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    The FO creation seems to be a decades-long plan. In the meantime, either (and more likely) the New Republic would have finally defeated Imperial remnants (but would have become more militaristic because of longer war) or some of remnants would have survived, gained strength and potentially would have become a rival to the FO.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Post Rise of Skywalker it does make the Contingency seem to be naturally a part of his resurrection plan, and his notion is to throw the galaxy into chaos and into pieces while he strengthens the Final Order and his new clone body on Exegol. But he basically had to smash everything to pieces while he had his Sith army waiting for him.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah. I thought Operation Cinder was a fairly clever bridge between Palpatine's natural tendencies and the creation of the First Order. You're separating the wheat from the chaff: anyone who sticks with the Empire through Operation Cinder is going to be an utter fanatic, and you can totally see how a First Order built out of these people would result in the North Korea like cult that we see in the sequels, rather than the somewhat more ordinary dictatorship we see in the original movies.

Knowing he wanted to make himself immortal, I also wonder if his ultimate plan wasn't something like Anubis' in Stargate SG-1: actually destroy the galaxy, as in an extinction level event, and then rebuild/repopulate it in your own image. The fleet of Star Destroyers with superlaser beams kind of suggests as much; he could terrorize the galaxy into submission, but he could also ultimately decide to just go around zapping every major planet out of existence, and then, if he feels the need to rebuild, doing it by colonizing whatever unsettled and largely empty planets are left.

And Operation Cinder isn't that, but it's kind of a nice appetizer for it.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You got to work up to a multi-planet killing rampage. First you get them being to wreck planets again and again, then you supply them with a superlaser Star Destroyer.....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Fair enough, that makes a lot of sense.

I was under the impression that Palpatine's plan for Jakku would have killed the people who formed the foundation for the First Order - so it seems like he wasn't planning on the FO existing and was just going to rely on his cultist forces.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@MercenaryAce

No Rax had the Imperalis (The shuttle) ready to go hence why he took Hux with him. Only difference was Jakku wasn't destroyed and Rax didn't go

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2021
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Operation Cinder is just the opening of Dark Empire, restored to the original intended date.
    It also seemed like a way to jump ahead to the NT era as if the story of the OT was concluded, which is something I think they're regretting now.

Xander Vos and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Which is funnily why it fits so well into that year between the DE and JAT.

17. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Eh, I'm very tired on planetary destruction tropes, and I thought this was one of the sticks used to beat the old EU with when it was first wiped, but we're right back on the same track of having planet after planet destroyed. I felt it especially in the Alphabet Squadron trilogy where it felt like planets lost all meaning because they were just places for Shadow Wing to fly to and try to destroy.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Honestly I kinda like this new Timeline and how it's working out.

DE's original intent in some way via Aftermath.

Thrawn then doing his thing although perhaps more covertly and maybe he doesn't even attack the New Republic (Depends on how really this story is told)

Then the Dark Empire full on assault again.

So I think it's working on great so far.

Proof that Star Wars has a way of retroactively work itself out.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2021
  19. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    JAT…?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Jedi Academy Trilogy.

JediFett10 likes this.
  21. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Ah.. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    That is pretty cool! I love how canon echoed Legends and how the timelines compliment each other.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I loved in the Rogue Squadron series where they hung a lampshade on the concept when they deployed propaganda against an Imperial warlord by fabricating supposed plans for another (nonexistent) Death Star variant he was was working on, costing him popular support. [face_laugh]

Xander Vos likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Yup - though it was Isard rather than the New Republic who did the fabricating, conning the New Republic - as part of her big scheme to reclaim the Lusankya.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You're right, that was in Isard's Revenge, wasn't it? Shows I need to do a reread... [face_laugh][face_relieved]

Iron_lord likes this.