main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What about pinning the besties thread in the Community forum?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by 3sm1r, Jan 19, 2021.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I've noticed that in other forums the social thread is often pinned.

I dunno sounds a reasonable thing to do to me.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Nah.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that thread, but I don’t think it needs a stickie.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, that might be a good idea. It might give the Community forum a more welcoming vibe to newbies.

3sm1r likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the only thing that needs to be pinned is the rules and that’s it. All the popular threads will remain on the first page. Yes other forums do pin the social threads, but I don’t think it makes a difference in how much they are used. You’ll notice that most of the social threads for other forums are basically ghost towns except for the SWC and the PT and the SWC one isn’t even pinned.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't have strong feelings on this. I just had the idea when thinking about writing there and noticing that it was buried in second or third page.
    It's not a common thread in the sense that it has no subject but it's just there to hang out, so yeah, as IATI said, I think it would give welcoming vibes to whoever passes by if pinned at the top.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It'd be vastly superior to the previous two threads that were stickied (Star Wars and Covid)

Pensivia and Ava G. like this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    This is a terrible idea; no thread, past or present, deserved/deserves to be pinned as I see it.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm allergic to pinned threads.

More seriously the Bestie thread is usually on page 1 or 2 anyway there is no need to pin it.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Why would we want that??

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    you'd love Star Wars Saga in-depth then. The amount of Stickies that forum has is hilarious.

Jedi Knight Fett and EHT like this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Not all forums. Some, such as fanfic, don't pin the social thread.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I read the thread title quick and I thought it said, What about pinning the best thread in the Community forum? And then I asked myself, what is the best thread in the JCC, and how would that be determined? Then I thought, maybe the "best" thread of the week/month could have the "honor" of being pinned, or maybe what would be more appropriate for the JCC is to pin the worst thread of the week/month as a joke. Either way, I'm for this sequence of events or no threads pinned at all save for the rules one that is currently pinned.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Obligatory- go to hell Tony.

Esmir, where else do they pin the social thread besides SWTV? Reason we have it pinned is because it doesn't get a ton of activity, but that's not the case most everywhere else, even with the Besties thread. Page 3 of Community is still the equivalent of page 1 of most subforums. Not that, y'know, the average newcomer comes to Community to socialize, but if they do there's plenty of regulars bumping the thread, so chances are it'll be on the first page more times than not.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Todd the Jedi
    The F&G is another example.
    But my reasoning wasn't much about losing it forever, but rather that it's a nice introductory thread to the community.
    The voyager who passes clicks on community for the first time and puff, he'd see the besties thread.
    Rather often we have new people directly engaging in other threads, when we know nothing about them, and it feels slightly weird.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Personally I think Community being a smorgasbord of topics is enough of an introduction- if newbies find the forum and see they can talk about ALL the things, then they'll dive into what they like and form natural connections that way. Then if they hang around they might notice there's a general social thread and chime in, get to know the community better. Not required, but can still easily happen if they really want to connect with people.

3sm1r likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    IMO the only threads that should be pinned are those used for rules and announcements. Anything else is... I dunno, aesthetically unpleasant.

Sarge, EHT, Coruscant and 2 others like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Agree with Ramza

18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    We should pin this in Comms and retitle it “Why Esmir Should Not Make Comms Threads”.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ What a verbose and complicated way to simply say

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You jest, but Community has managed to snag some pretty interesting newbies over the years, for good or bad. A lot of threads have sparked interesting discussion. I mean, yeah, there is potential for disaster. 2014, we had Moviefan sobbing in every thread about his special friendship with Jayzus, and last year, the whole Tina thing.