main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What anthology film should they have done instead of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by HaloWithStyle, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That was indignance at an enemy lying. It wasn’t a petulant response to a subordinate that he felt was undermining him by simply making a suggestion.

Riv_Shiel and StardustSoldier like this.
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Indignance at being lied to when you yourself lied about sparing an entire planet so you could make a statement through genocide kind of qualifies as petulance. Understand, I'm meaning petulance in the immature way I usually do; more that the emotional reaction, even as restrained as it is, emerges from a place so disconnected from empathy and self-awareness that it become petty. The guy basically flew the Death Star to Alderaan always intending to blow it up, so his offer was in bad faith, and he has the temerity to be insulted and appalled at Leia responding in kind.

Tarkin may be rational in the sense that he's not delusional or manic, but he's not reasonable, pragmatic, or measured. He wants to use a shotgun to swat a fly, and in his opinion, missing and hitting the cat and dog isn't just an acceptable price but something of a small bonus from the fear it will inspire around the house.

He's not got the petulance of a preteen. He's got the petulance of power.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is a great analogy... it fits Tarkin perfectly.

4. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Star Wars: This Is Snootles Tap

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with all of that. Well said all around. But those character traits of Tarkin do not gel with a "you dare question ME?" response to a suggestion from Vader. He is petulant in all the ways you say he is, but is far too secure in his correctness (publicly, at least) that he would not react in such an openly weak, insecure way to Vader merely making a suggestion. He keeps that insecurity under the surface. He's an old money authoritarian who seems to have had power since his youth, not a new money social climber like Krennic (or Trump).

Krennic I could definitely see saying "you dare question ME?" to a rival, much as he did to Tarkin with his "we stand here amidst MY achievement, NOT yours." Tarkin, on the other hand, would find a much more devastating way of responding to Vader's insolence. Like nuking him with the Death Star.

I don't believe anyone suggested Tarkin was reasonable, pragmatic or measured. He's the opposite of measured. He's a massive megalomaniac. I mean, he nuked an Imperial base just to off his rival, Krennic (and to destroy the DS plans, but I think that was secondary...). But as noted above, his desire to absolutely obliterate his enemies means, IMO, that he would never reply to Vader in such a nakedly weak and insecure way. "How DARE you, Vader" is just not his style. Publicly embarrassing or nuking rivals, as he did to Krennic, is.

As such, I find the radio play Tarkin to be really off.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Riv_Shiel, Ithorians and EHT like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Qi’Ra: Master of Teres Kasi

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    *Teräs Käsi.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rogue Squadron. And it's not too late to fix their mistake.

9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Vader film.

Or Rogue One, part 2 (as in, an expansion where we get more time with the characters, but it ends the same.)

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Rogue One 2: Rogue Two Part I

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Solo II: Solos

12. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Mas Amedda: The Inside Story

Bor Mullet and darklordoftech like this.
  13. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm of the opinion that Star Wars doesn't really lend itself too well to the "cinematic universe" mold. The main saga is so centralized as the "Tragedy of Darth Vader," because it's really a personal story about him and his children, that there isn't that much to branch off into. Rogue One worked because it was really an extension of ANH, not a stand alone film. Solo was pretty much the only worthwhile character that could be branched off into a somewhat working stand alone. I can't think of a single "anthology" film about Star Wars I would really want to see.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Holy Death of Imagination! Nothing to branch out to outside the story of Vader and his kids? There’s a whole complex galaxy out there and tens of thousands of years of civilization. Not to mention that the Mandalorian branched off far away from the Vader saga, and is currently the most loved entry in the franchise.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Actually, I'm a bit interested in "The Acolyte." I think the era before the prequels could be an interesting landscape, though the existing "High Republic" content has not excited me. It just feels like a downgraded Old Republic.

Obi-Wan I'm only morbidly curious about. I have to see how they screw with the timeline. But it also seems like an Episode 3.5, not a true spin off.

You're right about Mandalorian. I forgot about that one, and it seems to have been a hit. I guess they found their footing in the TV department, which they failed to achieve with the "anthology" movies.

EECHUUTA, wobbits and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Really though the drama of Rogue One is I think pretty separate from ANH, the story maybe connected to it but the characters of Jyn and Cassian with the drama around them are new and indeed the idea of the rebellion looking to find its moral stance is also new.

I would agree though that Starwars doesnt really offer many "easy" spin offs, Rogue One needed to be very much its own film, it took some design work, a few non lead characters and plot from the originals but had to do a lot of the leg work itself.

Personally what I'd have liked to see is something dealing more directly with defecting from the Empire. Rogue One, TFA and Solo touched on this a little but I think you have a lot more potential there untapped with the story of someone who becomes disillusioned with the Empire having previously viewed it as legitimate, play it into events that happen at some point during the civil war in the OT. Maybe have that person reasonably high up the chain of command or in intelligence and then play it more as a spy thriller?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  17. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    Disney could have done any standalone film other than "Solo". Would I have enjoyed it more than "Solo"? I don't know. I have yet to see it. Do I wish Disney had never made "Solo"? No. Because I enjoyed it very much.

18. sithboy

sithboy Jedi Grand Master

Dec 15, 2000
    Vader Story

Admiral Thrawn: A Star Wars Story

Old Republic Story

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm actually surprised a Han Solo movie wasn't the first anthology project to launch. On paper I assumed such a project wouldn't be anything but a huge hit.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It was supposed to be, but then Kasdan got involved in TFA and Rogue One was kicked up to the front.

21. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Solo should have come way later.

Seeing Han, the Falcon, Chewie, etc, could have been more of a draw to the film if we hadn't seen them in a while, and I also think it would have made a recast less of an issue if people were just clamoring for Han in any shape or form at that point.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Space Cthulu: The Movie, instead of Space Cthulu: The Cameo. That's what.

23. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    When Luke first walks into the cantina there's a little fed up looking chap sitting to the right of the stairs. He has a face of a man with a story to tell.

I like to think he's Lobot's brother. Maybe he escape from the lobotomy lab.

24. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I enjoyed Solo. But it wasn't my first choice for an anthology, probably not even in my top 3.
    -Dissolution of the Imperial Senate (what Palpatine was doing during ANH)
    -Cad Bane film
    -Mon Mothma film
    -Ahsoka film
    -Quinlan Vos film
    -A film before the Jedi (but not showing their origin or mentioning them at all)

25. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    All of my Grievous-loving friends say there should be a Grievous movie. I disagree. I know they'll just ruin him, or at least that the fic I've already read will skew my expectations. In all honesty, I can't really think of a character off the top of my head I'd want a solo origin film for. Maybe a Plagueis film, loosely adapted from Luceno's Legends novel (or faithfully, that works too, but I can't quite see that happening.) Actually, people laugh, but I would actually be excited for a Jabba movie. I've never seen The Godfather but I hear it's one of the best films of all time, so I don't see how they could go wrong with a Star Wars take on it. Even if the characters are giant slugs. Scratch that, especially if the characters are giant slugs. Heck, we don't even have to focus on Jabba. Pick any Hutt to be the main protagonist. I just want to see the crime family drama.

EECHUUTA likes this.