main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What anthology film should they have done instead of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by HaloWithStyle, Sep 30, 2020.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Binks: A Star Wars Story.

2. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Han Solo wasn't a bad character to base a film on, the problem was they didn't take the material seriously. The movie had a bad script, and a terrible lead actor. Solo would have worked much better as a weekly television series. As far as the next anthology film, I think it should be centered around Palpatine's accountant. I can just hear him saying; "You want to write off another WHAT?"

EECHUUTA and rktho like this.
  3. Anakin_ Skywalker

Anakin_ Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2022
    Nothing wrong with SOLO. I actually loved it, and I think Alden did an amazing job. I don't know if it was meant to be a trilogy or just a stand alone movie. I wished we'd continue to see young Han Solo with Chewie :D

wobbits, darklordoftech and Sarge like this.
  4. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    His performance in no way suggests a Han Solo that will ever grow into the Harrison Ford version of the character. Not even a little.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    EECHUUTA, Yanksfan and rktho like this.
  5. Anakin_ Skywalker

Anakin_ Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2022
    I know. That's why maybe it was meant to be a trilogy- or maybe even get a sequel. But since it's a stand alone movie, I'm perfectly pleased with the end result :)

BlueYogurt likes this.
  6. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    A trilogy, certainly. I mostly blame Lawrence Kasdan's nepotism, for the film's failure. Talent does not pass genetically from father to son.

EECHUUTA and rktho like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Your assignment is to watch The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. :p

8. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Is Part III not as good? I was under the impression The Godfather was one of the rare perfect trilogies, like The Lord of the Rings.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I and II are very good, so it's a really high bar to match. IMO, and many others, III is just not as good. It's not a bad movie by any means, but it's just not at the same level as the first two.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Yes, but make sure to only watch the original cuts, not the re-edited chronological versions. Godfather III isn't bad. It's basically a rehash of the first film. Sort of The Force Awakens of the Godfather trilogy.

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Both are wrong impressions. ;)

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, yes, we know you think that only The Hobbit is a perfect trilogy. :p

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I love Solo, the GFT, LOTR, and the HT. So I guess I'm REALLY in the wrong place. :)

TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ^:)^^:)^^:)^^:)^^:)^
    What would it be about? The Kwa-Rakata War?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

16. TofuJedi

TofuJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2020
    Solo was great!

TX-20, wobbits and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    They couldve done a film before the events of the Phantom Menace., setting up Palpatines rise etc.

18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Qi'ra: A Star Wars Story

Bor Mullet and darklordoftech like this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Some kind of Jedi Purge film would make too much sense after RotS. The dialogue about any surviving Jedi just about screams for it.

And of course get some Vader scenes in there. It could be interesting to see a Vader at this early stage too: powerful, but probably not as controlled as his OT self, as he is still adjusting to the suit and life as a Sith.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Solo movie would've worked better with a superior storyline/script and proper direction and if it came out before Rogue One like originally intended. I think most its problems occurred during production and changes in the script. The Art of Book and bits that could gathered about its story and original scripts it could've actually been a great Star Wars movie. And I don't think it was well pushed , it seemed throwaway from the get-go. They always sold the movie as a one-off anyway.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    rktho likes this.
  21. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    I think George Lucas or Lawrence Kasdan had a Han Solo movie in mind for a while before Disney bought the franchise, whether or not they actually intended to make it or not. I have to wonder what that original idea was like. I do know that Lawrence Kasdan wanted to write a better romance than Han's romance with Leia (Kasdan aapparently dislikes Hanleia?) so he made Han's romance with Qi'ra steamier and more passionate, and one time George Lucas walked onto the set where they were trying on Lando's capes, and Alden Ehrenreich hung a cape back on the hanger. I don't know if that was in the script or if it was just what seemed natural to Alden, but George told Ron Howard, "You know, Han wouldn't bother to hang it up," and then he mimed Han's body language and they did another take where Han just left the cape on the floor.

22. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    If anything both the Mandalorian and book of Boba Fett ( as well as Kenobi) kind of show what Solo should have been. Solo felt , in a lot of ways not unlike the Clone Wars movie, three episodes of a show stitched together to make a movie.

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I'm may be in the minority, but I personally think that over explaining the backstory of characters often makes them worse. To me, most characters that have had their backstory expanded since the OT are worse off for it (except maybe Obi-wan - I liked what they did with him in the movies (haven't seen the cartoons)). Less is more - part of the magic of story telling is maintaining some mystery.

IMO, Han Solo, Darth Vader, etc were much more interesting when their origins were hinted at and left to the imagination.

This can apply to character's futures toio. Like Boba Fett - I really, really did not need to know anymore about him. He was way cooler as basically an extra in the OT with a cool costume. Now, he's just lame.

24. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    He was only lame because the writers didn't know what to do with him. Temuera Morrison tried to inject his Māori heritage into the character, bringing a side of Boba we'd never seen before. But the writers were all non-Māori and wanted to tell a cliché action story. On top of that, the unnecessary cross-marketing for The Mandalorian derailed the show and the show's structure as a whole was confused and unsure of where to go. It was like a mini-sequel trilogy, with Tem as John Boyega and Mark Hamill and Cad Bane as Palpatine. They should have let Taika Waititi do it instead of Robert Rodriguez. Taika can do serious work, and even if he did lean into comedy, he would have made it work. Also, the show seemed unwilling to explore Boba's past? I mean, I know we've seen Boba in the movies and the Clone Wars and the comics, but not everyone in the audience has, so how are they supposed to know why Cad Bane is even important, or that selflessness is not new for him? I mean, the contextual Clone Wars episodes with Cad Bane in them don't even exist, so why didn't the show do flashbacks of them and get the audience up to speed? Why didn't we ever see Jango and get a feel for the kind of person he raised his son to be, vs what Bane tried to mold him into, vs what he is now? All we got were a bunch of monologues. We're just supposed to take these characters' words that important, character-relevant noodle incidents happened at some point in the past and are casting shadows into the present, without ever having seen them. Honestly, if you were going to resurrect one of Boba's dead mentors, Aurra Sing would have been a better choice if you didn't want to put in the work required for Bane. She was killed by Tobias Beckett in a throwaway line, so it doesn't undermine anything Boba's done (ie, killing the best bounty hunter in the galaxy and claiming the title, signifying a new era in bounty hunting) and we've seen her mentor Boba and how Boba fared under her mentorship. We know from those Clone Wars episodes that Boba was never cold-blooded and amoral. Even though the audience shouldn't have to engage in unrelated supplementary material to understand what they're watching right now, at least those episodes exist where they can be accessed by people who want context for Boba's character and relationships.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sir, this is a Wendy's the Anthology forum, not the TV one.

LedReader, rktho, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.