main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What anthology film should they have done instead of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by HaloWithStyle, Sep 30, 2020.

1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Probably Boba Fett rather than squeezing it into a series.

3. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Series, as a rule, are longer than movies. The problem is, they produced an extremely short series which they squandered at almost every turn.

4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Haha I meant stretching (not squeezing) it into a series. Lol my bad.

rktho likes this.
  5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Darth Sidious and the Hole to Exegol

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    So his version of an escape pod.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Honestly a portal to Exegol would have made way more freaking sense than what they went with

Kato Sai likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

darklordoftech and rktho like this.
  9. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Jabbas Diner id say ,throw in a little womprats as dessert lol

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My life is a portal to Exegol

Kato Sai and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Same.

12. XxXSpace_KarenXxX

XxXSpace_KarenXxX Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2022
    I liked the Solo standalone.

But if they wanted to cover alternate material, Aaron Allston or Michael Stackpole's star wars content could have done well.

The Courtship of Princess Leia was another good 1.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  13. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I maintain that Solo was a decent enough film, but it really ought to have been either split into 2-3 films of different eras in Han's life, or focused entirely on a heist (cutting out early life & Imperial service) and been billed as a heist film featuring Han Solo, not a Solo origin story. I think what people got was not quite what they thought they were going to get.

EECHUUTA and Sarge like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think most audience members don’t go into these things with specific expectations. If the movie is great, they like it and word of mouth develops.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  15. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    I liked "Solo" enough as a film and find myself re-watching it on several occasions. But if I were to decide on an anthology film instead of "Solo", I would have went with "Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story".

And the specific story I would focus on was directly before ANH featuring old Ben Kenobi & would include the Maul ending from "Twin Suns". Which means I would issue a mandate to the "Rebels" creative team not to touch Obi-Wan or Maul in season 3. So the story for my Obi-Wan solo film would obviously be expanded. The main plot would be Ben trying to protect the Lars homestead from a tribe of Tusken Raiders (led by A'Sharad Hett) and receiving guidance from Qui-Gon's Force ghost on how to defeat them.

Ben would also need to decipher Qui-Gon's riddles involving his own fate later on and how to know when it's time to give himself to the Force and finally let go. The main plot would end with Ben and A'Sharad engaging in a lightsaber duel (just like in the "Legends" comics) and later A'Sharad learning about how Anakin has become Darth Vader.

The sub-plot would involve Maul haunting for Obi-Wan in Tatooine but the audiences won't know who is this mysterious hooded person hunting for Obi-Wan. In fact, I won't even have Maul appear in any of the trailers or merchandise at all. Maul's appearance in my Obi-Wan solo film would be top secret so that when the audiences finally see Maul unhooding and locate Obi-Wan at night near his hut, they would fight like how they fought in "Twin Suns".

Casting wise, I would bring back Ewan but aged up and possibly with some prosthetics. I would cast Timothy Oliphant as A'Sharad too. I would also obviously bring back Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon and Ray Park as Maul but voiced by Sam Witwer (just like in "Solo").

I can dream, can't I?

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I got exactly what I thought I was going to get, and was very pleased. A fun Star Wars romp, that filled in a lot of Han's backstory, and left me wanting more.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I really enjoyed Solo, and I'd have wanted to see that at some point either way. The only thing I will say is that I would've preferred if they did Obi-Wan first, and as a film (cos IMO it seems like it would play better that way-even if it were almost 3 hours). I feel like if they did Rogue One, then Obi-Wan Kenobi, THEN Solo...IMO the reaction to Kenobi would've been great no matter what, and may have compelled them to continue with the Anthology films, with TWO great ones coming before Solo, instead of just one. IMO that would've served as more of a confidence boost to them for the concept of Anthology films, incase Solo wasn't recieved as well.

I mean, this is all speculation anyways-I'm happy with Solo-just sad they cancelled the concept of Anthologies. Even moreso, since it kinda seems like Disney/LFL isn't really sure WHAT they want to do with Star Wars (beyond the series already in production). Larger box office numbers in theaters are starting to come back now to similar numbers to the pre COVID days-so IMO It would be a good idea for them to jump on that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Looking at box office numbers this summer, it's a shame nobody had proposed that SW do a Top Gun In Space movie.

Oh, wait...

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just to take up with the original post:

Lucasfilm ruined the plans for the anthology series, not Solo, because of how they always respond to the fanbase (ie poorly)

note, this is not a post to compare the quality of Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, so please don't engage me on that

Let's take one of Marvels' less-loved movies, Thor 2, for a second. It made about half what the preceding film, Iron Man 3, did (660 million-ish compared to 1.2 billion) and is also a lot lower RT-score wise.

Did Marvel just...stop making Thor movies, or even ignore Thor 2? No. Ragnarok followed 4 years later, and Thor 2 is the nexus of a lot of stuff that happens in Marvel films after it. Endgame directly quotes a scene from it, Ragnarok borrows some of its music, L&V picks up where it left off, etc etc.

Lucasfilm just...doesn't do that. Fans don't like a thing? It's back to the drawing board for LFL by all indicators.

Watcherwithin and rktho like this.
  20. Kenobi being a 2 Hours Movie without Darth Vader or the Empire a Movie of only Obi Wan helping Tatooine People if there is any Villain it had to have been a character similar to Darth Krayt or A'Sharad Hett it would have been amazing to see a Tusken Jedi in a Live Action Movie

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Please try to use punctuation.

Ghost, EHT, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd bet good money that when Harloxzz was being born his mother was traumatized by punctuation in the middle of the delivery.

23. I have already told all of you many times that English is not my first language i use the translator and the translator makes mistakes sometimes and i do the best i can its not the first time that someone have complained about my punctuation but i think that complaining about it too much is annoying you can send me a DM if you want but making it public is wrong i dont understand why bullying a user would solve the problem and then all of you complain that Star Wars Fandom is Toxic its not my fault that most Disney content is bad like Kenobi, Solo Movie or the ST

Watcherwithin likes this.
  24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I thought "Solo" was a good choice. It featured well-established characters, was appropriate for a stand-alone story, and could be made as a fun adventure, like the original movie was. And I'd been waiting decades for a movie about Han & Chewie's previous exploits.
    The problem, as noted previously, was that Disney/LFL made two costly mistakes. First, they didn't keep track of the movie as it was made, resulting in discovering it's problematic tone late in the game and causing budget problems due to reshoots. Second, they released it after the highly-divisive TLJ, resulting in fans condemning it sight unseen, resulting in an undeserved bad rep.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are lot of people here who don't have English for their first language, yet almost all of them manage to punctuate their posts. You've been posting the same way for a long time and I'm not seeing any sign that you're making any effort to make your posts more readable.

Ghost and Riv_Shiel like this.