main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG WHAT ARE YOU COLLECTING NOW?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by HumsupFett, Dec 10, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Yes, but I happen to hate lit, and you know that... never mind... we're drifting away from the topic...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    Topic? =)

3. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Go do something like.... I don't know. Umm... Watch sunsets? Compose poetry? Play music? Watch a play? Pick flowers? Fall in love? Live?

4. HumsupFett

HumsupFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2000
    Hey guys, we are already out of the Topic right when it begins...This Thread by the way is call "What Are You Collecting Now?" you know. But what the hell, all fun topic can be discuss here, you are all welcome be it foreigner or locals.
    OK, wats it about lit? Shakesphere? Gimme a break howl. Maybe I'm just being shallow. Lit = shakesphere = cheem ang moh language = dun understand = bored.
    You know what I like in school? I love technical. Those hands on type, because I am good at it and during that couple of hours in the workshop, I am hero to the girls. hmmm feels great!!

5. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Me = Like chim ang moh language

So there. =)

6. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Maths camp is over... so much homework...

Seriously it wasn't that good... I think it was better in previous years...

7. darth_nutty

darth_nutty Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2001
    Alamak. I've not visited this place in a ages and now suddenly there are so many posts already.

HumsupFett, I gotta cut back on my SW spending 'cos I just got 3 models built for me. (AT-AT, AT-ST, Speeder bike) Went to Adelphi for audio reasons and saw this toy shop on the 4th Sty.

Will check out the Beach Centre one.

8. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Maths Camp is *never* fun. =)

9. HumsupFett

Dec 7, 2000
    Nutty, tell me more about the shop in Adelphi will ya? To read more of my enthusiasm and question, pls go to your thread "SW Insider"...boy am I excited.

10. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Yes, it's seriously out of topic... I forgot that there was a second page! :)

howlie: I happen to like chim ang moh language too... but Midsummer Night's Dream is intoleratable... and writing a 2-page composition (font size 11) on the function of theatre in society is enough to kill!

11. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    ok....

back on topic - you guys are so lucky to get all those figures before the US. we have to wait months before they arrive here, and we have no idea whats coming and what isnt.

I just got the plo koon IG88 etc, but I had to get them from australia, at $NZ20 each.

they had the DV dagobah (cool figure!) and jek porkins etc here, but in such limited numbers! I live in Christchurch, shocking place for Star wars collecting.
    I have to star collecting the Lego, its the only thing thats available here!!!

12. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    "but Midsummer Night's Dream is intoleratable"

Its fun.....

Oh what fools these mortals be!

13. HumsupFett

Dec 7, 2000
    Hi Chansplace, welcome to this thread.

You can disregard Howlrunner and Valiok as they are not collectors and they don't comments on SW items. I am a collector and are happy to exchange info about SW collecting with you. Well its been months since this topic begins and from the 1st post, I have since add on more of the POTJs to my collection and the latest lot I got is the KETWOL, DUROS (aka Ellorrs Madak), BESPIN GUARD & SABE.

14. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I'm envious, were still waiting for Queen amidala theed and Saesee tin.

15. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Yes, you can ignore howlie and I, because we just post in whichever Singapore thread is active...

and AMND is totally intolerable!

16. HumsupFett

Dec 7, 2000
    Aw, did I hurt anybody here? Sorry, its not intentional. Maybe I'm sensitive? :)
    Well tonite is my company's D&D (Dinner & Dance)and I'm in the comittee. This means I'll have a good table position and no time for food :)

Chansplace - This 2 figs you mention, the Amidala Theed and Saesee Tiin is exactly the rare fig here in Singapore. I only seen Amidala once with my friend and he saw it first therefore I let him have it. Saesee Tiin was here before but it sells at S$25/- (note US$1 - S$1.74) and I can't bring myself to pay that money for it...its scalper's price.
    Actually, I don't have the full range of POTJ but only buy selective figures. Figs like Boomer Damage BD, Security BD, R2D2 Naboo Escape, Anakin mechanic and a few more that I don't have and don't intend to buy.
    I am more incline for the original trilogy characters.

17. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    What do you mean by collecting?
    When Star Wars first came out, people would "collect" the action figures(AF) because said action figures were cheap and numerous.
    In fact, if I recall accurately, at one stage Star Wars AF completely filled up whole sections, not just a few shelves, i.e. "a little space"/"a little area", but shelves upon shelves and aisle upon aisle. There were so many figures, dozens of species of different aliens, Imperial soldiers and Rebel fighters.
    Collecting meant of course a voluntery purchase of additional AFs to "complete" your "collection". I recall going from shopping center to departmental store to shopping center to acquire a Chewbacca AF that I desperately needed for my collection.
    In the end, I hunted one down, took it home, and my adventures could continue anew.
    Collecting was cheaper, and IMHO, more innocent, back then.
    Nowadays, it's all about the money. Why don't people open the boxes? Obviously because they expect their "investments" to bring them some kind of "monetary retrun".
    I believe this to be true, no matter how trivial I make it out to be. Of course there is nothing wrong per se about "collecting" commudities for speculation, in fact Hasbro encourages this by appealing to the "collecter mentality". Firstly, 3 3/4 " plastic figures probably cost next to nothing to produce. Infact, if you go to any toy asile, you'll be surprised to discover that Star Wars AF, with their limited mobility, and rlatively simple sculpts cost as much as AF that are twice, even three times the size of a Star Wars AF. Bear in mind that I'm talking about other "branded" AF lines, not those cheapo "Soldier Force" AFs that seem to dominate Toys 'R' Us.
    How are children expected to afford AF like that? Obviously Hasbro does not cater to children, they cater to parents whom they know are willing to spend money.
    Though much of the blame I level unto Hasbro, "collecters" too are themselves to blame. Afterall, they are the ones driving up the prices.

So what does all this boil down too?
    "If you can't afford it, then don't collect."
    Maybe I can't afford it, maybe I can. I just refuse to play the game. My one and only beef is that the whole situation is ruining the whole "collecting" experience for children, new to Star Wars. Imagine if they needed a cool AF, they wouldn't be able to find it on any shelves. They would have to go to one of those "toy shops" and pay a week's maybe a month's pocket money on a piece of plastic. Even worse, sometimes the only way to get a figure is to buy the whole set... When it rearches this stage, it's not a hobby anymore, it becomes poverty.

Some people are poor, so sue me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.