main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living"

After that will be "Alice in Quantumland" & "Bruce Lee's The Art of Expressing the Human Body."

Just finished DM-SH.

2. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Alice in Quantumland??? LOL!!! Can you tell me about that book?

3. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I finished "Running With the Demon" by Terry Brooks last night. Great book! I'm now moving on to the second in the trilogy, "A Knight of the Word."

4. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I'm reading Homer's Odyssey right now.

5. PhantomJedi

PhantomJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    I was reading The Courtship of Princess Leia, til I ran into Barnes and Noble to get a book for school and saw Shadow Hunter. Courtship is really interesting , but I dropped it to read about Maul's past.

Phantom Jedi

6. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    "Wedge 88, I'm reading Guns of teh South right now. Very interesting. Any recommendations for which Turtledove to read next?"

I've read several Turtledove books including the worldwar series, WW I series, Guns of the south, and How few remain. I think thats all of his work that I've read.

One of my favorites was How Few Remain. It's set after the Confederacy wins the civil war, though not with AK 47's as in Guns of the South. The WW I series follows in the same alternate history he started in HFR.

I would highly recommend all of his books. If you have the chance then read them.

Lordmaul13

7. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I heard that How Few Remain was one of Turtledove's flunks. Reveiws said characters that Turtledove had killed kept coming back and that some characters were so far from how they were in real life it was weird. . .not intresting, like AH is soposed to be.

Ohh well, I'll maybe give it a try when I finish all of his better known and better liked ones.

8. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    Just finished Shadow Hunter; it was d@mn good! this guy is much better than Greg Bear.

9. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    I'm currently reading "Ashling", the third volume of the Obernewtyn Chronicles. Just as good as the first two volumes - "Obernewtyn" and "The Farseekers" - which were suprisingly good to start with! One of the best sci-fi/fantasy series AND Australian to boot! Woo-hoo!

10. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Whoa, Homer's Odyssey, a long interesting book. I love it, but it's sooo long...

11. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Whew--finished "A Knight of the Word" and the third in the trilogy, "Angel Fire East." Excellent books. I highly recommend them. I'm about to start "Mountain of Black Glass" by Tad Williams.

12. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...Absolutely Brilliant...

13. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Anyone wanting to discuss any book, come grab a seat at Starbucks and chat to your hearts content.

14. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I have not read anythying but Starwars books for about a year. Im reading them in chronological order. I started with "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" and I just finished "Starfighters of Adumar"(my fave so far). I just started Crystal Star(ugh).
    The last non-SW book I read was "The Dispossesed" by Ursula K. LeGuin. It is one of my favorites, but no one else I know has heard of it. When I finish the SW books I want to read "Lolita". It's my favorite movie.

15. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice.

She's one of my favorite writers...and I love the book so far.

16. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I have a few books on the go at the moment. I am getting through God Emperor of Dune, and when that is finished I have Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune to read. I have also started the first book of Terry Brook's Shannara series and recently aquired Battlefield Earth - which clocks in at 1,050 pages. Guess I won't be finishing that anytime soon. I would like to get those Harry Turtledove books about alternate timelines and aliens attacking in the 1940's - they look really good. Haven't read a SW book since BP. I have all the NJO so far, but I have some gaps in my bantam collection. Does anyone recommend the Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin?

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Right now I'm working on Dracula by Bram Stoker, the Icewind Dale trilogy by R.A. Salvatore, and Sword in the Storm by David Gemmell.

18. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Shadow Hunter.

19. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Wow, I am glad to see that my thread is still going around. That's good!

Right now, I am about to start Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I will start reading it later tonight, after I take a bath.

20. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I started The Demon Awakens by RA Salvatore last week. It is a little slow but very cool.

21. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Wedge88--don't worry, it'll pick up. :)

I'm now reading "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Alice In Quantumland

Bruce Lee's the Art of Expressing the Human Body

(re-reading) the Dancing Wu Li Masters

23. CorranHorn187

CorranHorn187 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2000
    I just finished reading Batman: No Man's Land for the second time, and I am currently half way through Dark Apprentice, the second book in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I just recently read Travels, by Micheal Crichton, which was great. Up next, book three in The Jedi Academy Trilogy....

24. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    right now i am reading Rainbow Six by the master Tom Clancy and reading The Vampire Lestat by Ann Rice for the second time.

i just finished wraith squadron for the first time and loved it.

25. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    Currently reading Wuthering Heights.

Jeremyguy, I read Hearts in Atlantis and was pleasently surprised by its connection with the Dark Tower. If you're a dark tower fan, definitely read Hearts, the major section of the book (the first story) deals with the Dark Tower. Without giving anything away, the Dark Tower figures prominantly in the story, it's not just a sidenote or subtle reference.

UCLA, have you read the rest of the Vampire Chronicles? If so, what did you think? I thought the quality dropped off a bit, but I really liked Memnoch. I've heard a few people say they hated that book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.