main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are your folks opinion on video games these days?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DJT, Dec 4, 2017.

1. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    Me? All I gotta say is that I miss the good old days where every video game I bought was a complete game. Back in my day I play to unlock more content, not pay for it. I am becoming more of a retro gamer these days, whether to relive a past favorite or discover games I missed out on.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    There will always be good games.

There will always be bad games.

What matters is which you decide to focus on.

MrZAP likes this.
  3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    In the medium? Sure. In Star Wars?
    [​IMG]

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

Fair point.

The Shadow Emperor and DJT like this.
  5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I just choose my games wisely. There’s been some absolutely amazing games over the past several years. E.g. GTA V, The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4, etc. I usually avoid multiplayer games like Call of Duty and Destiny.

6. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I always play games that are at least 5 years old. That way, I am sure to avoid hype, and my hobby is much cheaper as a result.

The Shadow Emperor and DJT like this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Isn't GTA V the essence of a Multiplayer game? Considering the game was first released about what, practically half a decade ago and there's been absolutely nothing changed to the offline content, I'd imagine that the only reason the game is still popular at this point is the online content.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    There are many people, like myself, who don't care at all for GTA multiplayer.

9. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    Same. I don't always keep up with the latest games but when I do I wait for the complete edition which is usually the base game and all DLC included at an affordable price.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

But once you get through the offline story mode, what else is there with the game? It doesn't feature any replay value offline.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

Yeah it does.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Assuming this were true, which it isn't, so what? Not every game needs to have endless replay value in order for it to be great.

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They were and continue to be a mistake.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

GTAO =/= GTA V

Well aside from 3 possible endings, playing the stock market to ensure stupid money levels, and then doing all the UFO parts, submarine missions etc... absolutely no replayability.

It's just facts. There's no replay value at all. GTA IV, which I would argue is a superior game, also didn't have any replayability at all as you just drank in the enormous cityscape of Liberty City.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I should’ve rephrased my sentence. I try to stay away from MOST multiplayer games, specifically shooters. I love GTA V online. Every now and then I’ll play it with my mates and we’ll always have a great time. As for replay value in the single player, I think I’ve finished it three times.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Yeah, I get the sarcasm. But the bottom line is after you've built up your account into the $trillions, found all the UFO parts, completed the submarine missions; then what? The Online component is what has kept GTA V afloat for so long; and it will continue going strong as long as they update it with new features.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Too much sex, violence and bad language. Damages your minds and needs to be heavily regulated - if not banned.

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Ahsoka's Tano

Except that we see other Single Player games receive critical and commercial success that also have long shelf lives either through DLC or just by how good they are. Spec Ops: The Line, Witcher 3, Undertale, Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, etc. These are all still pretty beloved by fans years after their initial release because of how good they are. They have replayability just as good movies and books do. And then, the teams behind them move on to make more good games.

If anything, the success of GTAO will harm the franchise as Rockstar refuses to make a new game and milks the online for all its worth.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd imagine there would few people at Rockstar that would account the success of GTA V to the story mode; especially considering the game is still retailing for over $30. It'd probably be below $20 by now if there were no online mode.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But its not the big money maker. If it was, they wouldn't have scrapped plans for Single Player DLC. GTAO is just what makes the most monetarily for them with the sale of Shark Cards.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I did my research. The microtransactions make extra money for Rockstar. But the bottom line is that the UNITS SOLD is what people actually pay attention to regarding the success of the game. "Best selling game" sounds better than "profits off of microtransactions".

24. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    GTA V got game of the year and is still currently the highest rated PS4 game of all time. Initially it wasn’t the online mode that got all of the sales, but it’s certaimly helped since then. The way I see it, both the single player and multiplayer of GTA V are a win.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

And the way I see it, the notion of incorporating the best of the Online mode into an offline game would certainly a win-win for the sequel game whenever it comes out.