main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions What are your most favourite Star Wars stories/works in the Expanded Universe?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by TheStarWarsFanatic66, Jul 22, 2021.

1. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Darth bane series for me

Darth Dnej and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  2. SirCarrot

SirCarrot Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2022
    Edge of Victory duology definitely.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The Jude Watson books
    Legacy of the Force (Inferno at number one)
    Darth Plagueis
    Dark Lord : The Rise of Darth Vader
    Young Jedi Knights Series
    Fate of the Jedi

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    bizzbizz and Iron_lord like this.
  4. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    I really am into the "Classic SW" era. The old Marvel series, Brian Daley's Han, L. Neil Smith's Lando, the Russ Manning strip, etc. I'm not super into SOTME, but I'd give it another try.

Irredeemable Fanboy and Sarge like this.
  5. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Maybe you could try the comic adaptation, it has a feel that is very similar to those old comics.

VaderBoyee likes this.
  6. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    They say it makes it make more sense in the larger EU, so maybe so.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  7. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    The "who can swim" contradiction is still there, but one of the things that are notably different is that a lot of the romantic subtext between Luke and Leia was reduced.

Personally i think it does feel that way, but it is probably because it's an adaptation made in the 90's, while the original was made when there was pretty much no EU around outside the Marvel comics, so the "feel" of the universe was not set in stone yet.

@SirCarrot Conquest is my second favorite EU book of all time, Greg Keyes is an underrated author, i think he is the best in terms of writing Yuuzhan Vong characters and culture.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Alpha-Red and VaderBoyee like this.
  8. KnightofRaxusPrime

KnightofRaxusPrime Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2022
    Another hard question, I pretty much love em all! :)

I really liked the concept of Force Hounds and the lore surrounding the Bounty Hunter video game. Elevates Jango's character quite a lot.

DLR001 likes this.
  9. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    The space battles were a huge part of what attracted me to the franchise, so it really isn't all that surprising that the X-Wing series are at the top of the list. Those novels carried me through my senior years in high school as well. I love the antics of Wraith Squadron and Starfighters of Adumar always succeed in putting a smile on my face. Even after all these years.

Other than that, I'm one of those who loved Zahn's entries in the old EU (I have yet to read the new canon material he wrote though) and I do find the YJK quite enjoyable as well. Stover is another who I loved their writing style.

I'm due for a revisit to be honest now that I managed to get my hands on pretty much all of the novels post-ROTJ. Doubt another series could debunk the X-Wing books though.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    KOTOR duology
    Bane Trilogy
    Darth Plagueis
    SW Republic Comic Series (though I've only read the Clone Wars issues so far)
    Obsession
    CW Microseries
    Labyrinth of Evil
    ROTS novelization
    The Rise of Darth Vader
    The Thrawn Trilogy

11. oldroughnready

oldroughnready Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2023
    I would say my favorite story about Star Wars is the one you can tell about it. Each era feels like its own world and there is so much that can be made with the human imagination expanding on a few sentences here and there. It's a pretty basic universe and generally upbeat which helps you imagine a broad avenue of adventures that can happen.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    For the PT era, I really love the entire CW multimedia project. The Republic comics and the lesser known Clone Wars Adventures mini stories were fantastic. It all really felt like witnessing Anakin and Obi-Wan’s journeys into the lead up of ROTS and, for the most part, kept the complex characterizations and situations of the films. Also Jude Watson’s YA books (Last of the Jedi series, Secrets of the Jedi) are dope af.

For the OT era, I am very fond of the 70s/80s Marvel run. A lot of wild and strange designs for a universe not fully established and the experimental storylines (the trio dealing with enemies not related to the Empire, political intrigue, etc.) are quite imaginative compared to how stagnant the OT era is usually treated. Also the Rebel Force books and Shadows of the Empire are cool additions to the lore.

For the post-ROTJ era, I do like the LOTF lore. I wish there were more visual material for establishing the “look” of the Galactic Alliance and the Confederation but I like the idea of a complex political situation that mirrors late 2000s War on Terror politics.

13. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Agreed. Well, to be honest the Clone Wars Adventures comics contain some weird stories, but 80% of them are genuinely good in my opinion.

I tend to prefer the stuff that is set immediately before or after Star Wars '77, like the Empire comics, the Rebellion comics, the Death Star novel, Dark Forces, etc.

Uhm... I completely dislike that period! I jump the Denningverse completely, going from The Unifying Force to Legacy Volume 1 directly. However, my favourite stuff from the post-ROTJ period are the Young Jedi Knights series, and the Union comic featuring Luke and Mara Jade's wedding.

14. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    I, Jedi
    Crimson Empire
    Legacy (comic series)

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Dark Rendezvous
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Tales from the New Republic
    Isard's Revenge
    Starfighters of Adumar
    Vector Prime
    Dark Tide duology
    Agents of Chaos duology
    Edge of Victory duology

16. Everything that is Old Republic and Post ROTJ Era

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2023
  17. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    In terms of favorite stories, I tend to separate them by eras;
    PT: In terms of stories, I like Jango Fett: Open Seasons and The Clone Wars Multimedia Project to a certain extent, usually I'm not much for the Jedi but the prequel era had some good material to flesh out the order and other sides of the war. Clone Wars Adventures were a nice subsection of stories that showed more to those outside the laser-blades and blasters we normally see (Plus an added bonus of Clones and CIS operatives getting some limelight as well...)
    OT: Both Brian Daley and A.C. Crispin's expansion on Han Solo in their respective books were excellent, they gave younger fans like myself a chance at seeing the galaxy from the lens of a everyman; plus the added benefit of them having my favorite smuggler going on pulp adventures that we don't see very much anymore. As for other titles, I found myself leaning towards titles that were more adventure based and less political or "jedi" focused titles, works such as Tatooine Ghost and The Bounty Hunter Wars were more to my speed.
    Post ROTJ/LOTF: Unlike the prior, I did find myself enjoying the Jedi stories in the LOTF era; they were the first run of Legends titles that I collected in full at the time before the Disney buyout and they currently reside on my shelf. Millennium Falcon and Crosscurrent remains two personal favorites of my collection, Crucible is also up there as well.