main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are your thoughts on Scientology???

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Boba_Fat83, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    [image=http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/E-Meter/travolta.jpg]

Travolta using an E-Meter...a 'religious tool' of scientology used to "measure mental anguish."

Good 'ol Travolta...warding off the evil Emperor Xenu and keeping us safe... [face_plain]

click for more

2. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Hey once Vader killed Emperor Palpatine i guess there had to be someone to do the job ;)

3. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    E-meter=two tin cans attached to a blood pressure reader. Basically, it's a lie-detector test.

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Hey once Vader killed Emperor Palpatine i guess there had to be someone to do the job

Gee, thanks for the spoiler warning. :eek:

5. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
    im so terribly sorry :p

6. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    After viewing that website, Scientology is really a weird cult. I guess they should be happy they don't wear black Nikes and commit suicide to join the aliens on the comet [face_hypnotized] If Scientology is really a form of psychology, no wonder Tom Cruise hates legitimate psychiatry or psychology because he believes the lies of Scientology. I remember reading a story about how Kelly Preston had to have her baby at home when she had her last child (Ella) and she couldn't cry out in pain, only suffer in silence without drugs!!! I have experienced natural childbirth but I did make some noises [face_thinking] I think Cruise is beginning to crack up like that website talked about, he's going insane because of trying to get rid of that alien who was destroyed by the H-bomb [face_talk_hand] FREAKY!!!

7. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I think it is a wierd cult.

-The Scummy-

8. -nada-

-nada- Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2004
    Actually, I'm currently looking very seriously into Scientology. A million actors can't be wrong.

I'll report back when I've reached a conclusion.

If they let me.

9. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    "Good 'ol Travolta...warding off the evil Emperor Xenu and keeping us safe... "

Now, I don't buy into Scientology. But to pay devil's advocate after reading that quote... how is that not more ridiculous sounding than a lot of the other aspects, rituals or beliefs of other religions?

To each their own I say. In my eyes, they're all cults. Religions. And I don't say this because I'm an athiest or agnostic or whatever. Far from it. I'm Jewish myself and I believe in G-d. But fact is, I can roll my eyes at many of the things Christians or Muslims and even Jews do or believe.

10. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Actually, I'm currently looking very seriously into Scientology. A million actors can't be wrong.

I'll report back when I've reached a conclusion.

If they let me.

You can't reach a conclusion until you pay tens of thousands of dollars. They hide all the alien invasion stuff and the Xenu stuff until you get to level three. Which costs a pretty penny. Before that its all bio-feedbacks and philosophy which could help you. But you don't need Scientology for that.

After level three, its all trade secrets that you can only find out by paying. Some has been leaked online. Its really insane and stupid.

11. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Here's what SkepDic has to say on Dianetics.

It's pseudoscience at best, and at worst, the methods could lead someone to have a nervous breakdown. They basically force you to relive trauma over and over and over again. If you're trying to overcome say, being raped, these could end up inducing PTSD.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Where did this idea of Xenu come from? Is he supposed to be the Scientology version of Satan?

13. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    From the diseased mind of L. Ron Hubbard. The man was crazier than an outhouse rat.

14. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I read the book called What is Scientology? or something like that. The book is F@#!ed up. Basically, it puts people and civilizations into 7 categories. People with technology are at the top of the list and the tribes people are at the botom of the list.

All that I have to say is that when the bomb drops and Joe Scientology can't get his garage door to open and the people in the tribes people looks at things as just another day we will see who the superior peoples are. I don't believe that it will be the ones that believe that technology is superior, their cell phones won't even work.

I don't believe the writings of L. Ron Hubbard werement to take off the way that they did. First off, he was a Sci-Fi writer who said that "If you ever want to make a million dollars, start a religion."

Tom Cruise and his people are wacky who feel that they are the chosen people. We'll see who he prays to when his jet falls out of the sky.

15. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    It's probably just a sort of fad. May fade out in the next few years

well, it's been around since about 1950, so i think it's fair to say it's not a fad. bizarre cult, sure, but not a fad in the usual sense.

From the diseased mind of L. Ron Hubbard. The man was crazier than an outhouse rat.

crazy like a fox!

i don't think for a minute that he actually believed any of his own dogma. it was a scam, from a well-known scam artist. look at his history with Jack Parsons and the OTO lodge in Pasadena. Parsons brought him into the OTO, practically adopting him, then Hubbard basically took over his lodge, scammed Parsons out of all his money and a few boats he owned, and then ran off with his girlfriend. he was simply an old school con artist.

the funny thing is that his biggest con, the Church of Scientology, has now outlived him because the suckers took it so seriously.

16. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I read the article below and had to wonder where did Tom Cruise get his PhD from???
    And what makes him the authority on psychology, psychotherapy, psychiatrists and post-partum depression.

http://www.us.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-07-01/

1 July 2005
    Shields Slams Cruise's 'Today' Comments

Brooke Shields' war of words with Tom Cruise has taken another twist after the Suddenly Susan actress slammed Cruise's recent rant against psychotherapy and anti-depressant medication on TV show Today.
    Cruise, who is a devotee of L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology religion, lashed out at Shields in an interview last month for condoning the use of drugs she used to help overcome post-partum depression.
    But Shields is determined to have the final word - and she is even thankful to Cruise for increasing public knowledge about the debilitating mental illness.
    Shields tells the New York Times, "I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.
    To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.
    If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease."

17. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I find it ironic that scientologist call psychiatry a 'pseudo science' when, in fact, they're prescribing to a pseudo religion. :)

18. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm reading A Piece of Blue Sky: Scientology, Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed by Jon Atack. It's interesting, because Hubbard was such a freaking liar and a moron, even before he founded the cult.

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    What makes him different from any priest, preacher or minister of Christianity ?

What separates a 'cult' from a 'religion' ?

Hubbard invented 'Scientology', but there's no proof that Christianity isn't a sham. There's no evidence of the existence of God, or that Jesus ever walk on this planet.

Apparently to be a member of 'Scientology' you have to pay money, but most christian churchs (that I know of) ask for money donations, and those TV evangelists are always looking for big cash handouts.

Scientology apparently 'brain-washes' their members - but you could easily accuse the Christian church (especially the Catholics) of brain-washing their members (for example saying that they'll burn in hell it they commit sins which include abortion, homosexuality or contraception).

To be clear, I'm not advocating Scientology here, nor would I try and defend it. I'm merely playing devil's advocate, and trying in some way to define what makes a religion credible rather than a farce.

20. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm fairly certain there is historical eveidence for Christ my friend. I dont know it off the top of my head though

Let me answer your other "accusations" too though. Christian churches ASK for money. They do not stand up there and tell you your going to Hell if you dont pay them so much a week. They ASK, unlike Scientology churches who DEMAND $. As for brainwash, I'm not a Catholic, so I dont agree with the Catholic church in the first place. I'm a saved Christian who goes to a Baptist church. Cults to me and many other people are "religions" that mainly use forms of mind control (like demanding money), and the "religous leader" is a god/God/always right and his word is law.

21. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm fairly certain there is historical eveidence for Christ my friend. I dont know it off the top of my head though

:oops: So go out and find it before you post!

22. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
    alright i will special friend

The earlist non-Christian writer who refers Christ is the Jewish historian Flavius Josephus; born A.D. 37, he was a contemporary of the Apostles, and died in Rome A.D. 94. Two passages in his "Antiquities" which confirm two facts of the inspired Christian records are not disputed. In the one he reports the murder of "John called Baptist" by Herod (Ant., XVIII, v, 2), describing also John's character and work; in the other (Ant., XX, ix, 1) he disappoves of the sentence pronounced by the high priest Ananus against "James, brother of Jesus Who was called Christ." It is antecedently probable that a writer so well informed as Josephus, must have been well acquainted too with the doctrine and the history of Jesus Christ. Seeing, also, that he records events of minor importance in the history of the Jews, it would be surprising if he were to keep silence about Jesus Christ. Consideration for the priests and Pharisees did not prevent him from mentioning the judicial murders of John the Baptist and the Apostle James; his endeavour to find the fulfilment of the Messianic prophecies in Vespasian did not induce him to pass in silence over several Jewish sects, though their tenets appear to be inconsistent with the Vespasian claims. One naturally expects, therefore, a notice about Jesus Christ in Josephus. Antiquities XVIII, iii, 3, seems to satisfy this expectation:

23. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Read A Piece of Blue Sky if you don't believe me. Most Christians TRULY want to help others, and despite their shortcomings, I can think of a LOT of good that has come from Christianity. I can't do the same for Scientology.

24. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
  25. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    ClonedEmperor - that's hardly proof - besides, all it does it suggest that way back in the day there was a guy called Jesus, and a guy called John the Baptist - hardly conclusive proof of the existence of Christ (as depicted in the Bible), nor the existence of God.

The Crusades for example, where they murdered thousands upon thousands of innocent people to "rescue" the Holy Lands? Or the ongoing deaths in Ireland between different branches of Christianity. For every good act done by a Christian, there's another Christian shooting the religion in the foot by doing or saying something stupid under the banner of God.

Besides, Christianity has had a few thousand years to get established and have a history of good doing, whereas Scientology has only been around for a short period of time. Perhaps in a few thousand years Scientology will have made great contributions to society - you can't predict the future.

Furthermore, wasn't Christianity condemned in it's infancy ? Weren't followers stoned and fed to Lions etc? You could almost compare the early scepticism of Christianity with the current scepticism of Scientology

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.