main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are your thoughts on Scientology???

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Boba_Fat83, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Um... well yeah... but you're taking things out of context... Christians wanted to worship God Jehovah, not the Pagan gods of the Romans... They werent forcing people to give money, or worship the disciples. They were telling people Christ's message, that he loved them and died for them. Scientology tells people to give give give, that depression and other diseases and chemical imbalances dont exist, and that there was some guy called Emperor Xenu who lived 70 billion years ago (or something to that effect)

2. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Look, if you want to believe Scientology is legit, that's fine. The evidence suggests otherwise, but I'm not going to fight with you.

Yes, Christianity has its sins, no doubt about that. BUT, going out and killing people is NOT the basis of the religion. Scientology is all about repressing other people. There's no message of compassion, or love, or selflessness. There's no St. Francis of Assisi, no Oscar Romero, no Martin Luther King. Just the Sea Org goon squad, the RPF, Fair Game, enemies lists, etc. They make Richard Nixon look like a kid who stole a candy bar.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002

At no point have I stated that I believed Scientology was legit - please do not misrepresent me.

I'm merely pointing out that your reasoning for discounting Scientology are flawed, and there is no actual criteria by which you can measure the legitamacy of religion.

For example, I could very easily, and accurately say :- "if you want to believe Christianity is legit, that's fine. The evidence suggests otherwise".

4. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    My point is, you really can't compare it to Christianity. Criticism over Scientology.

You can certainly provide support for your ideas, but let's watch the whole-scale stereotyping of other's beliefs.

5. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yes you can.

And while I do not believe in scientology, there are several members of these forums who are Scientologists and I think they would feel insulted by many of your harsh words. Is that fair to them?

As far as I know, if you start throwing such things toward Christianity, it would cause a ruckus here. Last year some members started slinging some not so nice things about Judaism, which hurt me and they were promptly dealt with and quite justly so. Why should it be any different here? Just because you don't agree with it? One should always be civil and respectful, even if you do not agree with it. Or just because the scientologists here are very few in number then it's okay?

Too bad Ganner left the forums, as he was a regular and quite well known here and openly a Scientologist and he could address many of your issues.

So you can compare. Because I'll be honest, a lot of your issues with scientology, are very alike a lot of the issues I have with Christianity, especially looking at it from my own faith. But I remain respectful.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Of course you can compare it to Christianity - explain why you can't please.

p.s. Nothing good has come fromChristianity (see, it it's really easy to link to a propaganda website)

I agree with the above poster - I think Guinastasia is breaking the TOS by disrespecting the beliefs of an established religion.

7. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Agreed.

The point is, according to my Jewish faith, there is strong evidence against Christianity.

And I've heard the strong evidence against Judaism.

And I've heard the strong evidence against Islam.

And I've heard the strong evidence against other sects within Judaism, and Christianity and Islam and so on and so on.

Where does it all end?

The fact is, I can justify the evidence agaisnt Judaism as much as the evidence against Christianity when I hear it.

But you know what? The big selling point in any religion... is faith.

That is the simplest answer to it all... faith.

Because in the end, I myself cannot disprove Judaism... but you know what? I can't prove it. If someone were to ask me right now to prove it to them. I can't... because in the end... it's faith.

And same thing with Christianity. I cannot disprove it, I cannot prove it. Faith plays the big part in the play.

I'm not supporting Scientlogy not I am not dismissing it. I just really don't have an opinion on it. It's not my cup of tea. But they sure as hell have the right to exist.

And if John Travolta finds peace with Scientology... then good for him.

8. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    If that's the case, I appologize. I honestly feel that Scientology is a dangerous cult, and that L. Ron Hubbard was a disturbed individual, and that it's a scam.

I mean no disrespect towards anyone who practices the religion. I just feel that it's worth investigating before getting involved.

9. Count-Tyrannus

Count-Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    I don't trust anything Hollywood types participate in.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    ^Exactly why I don't trust the USO. :p

11. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005

Of course you can compare it to Christianity - explain why you can't please.

p.s. Nothing good has come fromChristianity (see, it it's really easy to link to a propaganda website)

I agree with the above poster - I think Guinastasia is breaking the TOS by disrespecting the beliefs of an established religion.

That whole site is hilarious and a pack of lies...
    A. I go to a fundamental Christian Baptists church, and I have never once heard that Darwin accepted Christ on his deathbed.
    B. Micro evolution is a fact, while macro evolution is a fact... id like to see some proof for that, but this isnt the evolution thread, so forget it
    C. 76% of dangerous criminals are Christians...right... again, how bout some proof
    D. Many of the founding fathers WERE christains, i can show you evidence that proves this, not tell you i can and then not post it (if youd like some, please ask, i WILL post it)

If your point was you too could pull up propaganda sites, than alright, but if you honestly believe that, than we can continue debating it.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
  13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Christians make up roughly 76% of the Population of the US.

And frankly "The greatest genocides in human history stemmed from the Christian faith. "
    is complete and total Bull****.

But as we known history isn't important. "The Church and christian organizations opposed the end of slavery omg!"

When? The church has been around for a long time. for all that Atheists are desperate to claim the founding fathers they rather ignore the fact the founding fathers weren't all gung ho to end slavery either.

OMG OMG Atheists wanted teh slavery OMG!!!!1!!!

Can we stop now or would all of you continue going on pointlessly and blindly about the "OMG in teh HISTERY U SUXXORS!"?

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jeez, farrie, I mean the Holocaust, the Stolen Generation... they were from mistaken Christian beliefs. Now of course you could bring up the Great Terror but Stalin did see to it that political persecution did not a genocide make, hence it's absense in the 1948 Convention.

E_S

15. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
    Thank you F_I_D, I appreciate that.

And i seem to recall Hitler being very interested in the occult, which is extremely UN Christian

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    The stolen genration?

300,000 native australian children over 70 years removed from their families?

Travesty to be sure, but rather minor compared to the Armenian genocide, which I'm sure I've heard you rant about.

The holocaust? Of course, and christianity is to blame being the scapegoat for all socities ills, however in pure numbers the mongols slaughtered more on their way to brief glory. And the population of the world was rather smaller then.

OMG in teh hestory you teh suxxors!!!!

17. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    300,000 seems a very high figure to me.

But I digress.

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The holocaust? Of course, and christianity is to blame being the scapegoat for all socities ills, however in pure numbers the mongols slaughtered more on their way to brief glory. And the population of the world was rather smaller then.

If you're talking about 'pure numbers', how about you actually give some... you know... numbers?

I also find your comparison rather obtuse, as they so often are with christian revisionists, as the Mongols didn't adhere to a religion that promoted compassion and love for their fellow man...

This thread is about Scientology, not about attacking/defending any other religion.

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    If you're talking about 'pure numbers', how about you actually give some... you know... numbers?

why bother, given your following statement...

I also find your comparison rather obtuse, as they so often are with christian revisionists, as the Mongols didn't adhere to a religion that promoted compassion and love for their fellow man...

Your only goal here is to promote your own personal anti-christian bias with no regard to anything other then "proving" omg christianity is teh suxxors!!!1!.

Why do we even alow these threads mods? All they are is OMG Chrstianity is teh worst of teh everything OMG!!!! Any support is not responded to, it's only fodder for counter accusations.

"OMG this website says scientogogist are teh evil!"
    "Oh yeha well thsi website says chrsitains are teh evil and teh atheists are teh roxxors!!!"

Good lord all of you just stop posting! Please!

20. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Im not really for any organized faith but I do find it completely laughable and quite ironic that various religions would have people believe in resurrections, virgin births, whales that swallow people and spit them out, food coming out of rocks, angels and demons, flying lizard gods, fat, hash smoking gurus and a mountain full of gods that represent every human nuance and yet would balk so quickly at a religion that would suggest that our species orginated elsewhere than this planet, which if you really think about it makes even more sense than any of the traditional or ancient faiths, if not as much sense as evolution.

21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Of course, why bother to support your knee-jerk counter-argument?

I see you conveniently glossed over why your counter-argument was flawed. My goal, since you seem to be interested, is to correct and inform. I'm interested in truth, not winning a contest of wills with a stranger on the internet.

If you would like to engage in a discussion, and wish to bring something to the table, then by all means provide evidence, arguments, facts whatever to support your position - that Christianity is not the 'big bad' we little nasties are calling it.

But the bottomline is that you made a statement that the mongols killed far more than Christians and I have called on you to back this up with figures (and preferably a source).

And although this might seem off topic, we're in a thread discussing our thoughts on Scientology - in which someone earlier made the comment that it was no better than Christianity. In order to do that we need to compare the two... since you seem to be such a fan of pure numbers how about you tell us how many people have died on the steps of the Church of Scientology?

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    If your point was you too could pull up propaganda sites, than alright, but if you honestly believe that, than we can continue debating it.

My point was just to link to a propaganda wesbite. There is very little you can link to on the internet that counts as 'fact'.

23. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
    ok thank you, just wanted to clear that up, and you do have a point

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I purposely linked to the worst website I could find to make my point ;)

25. ClonedEmperor

Mar 12, 2005
    lol ok i was hoping so but i wasnt sure... you can never know [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.