main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    Well hop to it. His new sci-fi series is set to drop starting in April of 2019 and the entire trilogy will be published within the year. The first in the series is called One Word Kill and according to the press release, the series is set in late 1980s London and “is described as grappling with time travel and the ‘many-worlds theory’. It also follows the budding romance of characters Nick and Mia as they strive to save themselves and the people they love from ‘an impending doom that only they can see coming’.”

Super stoked to dive into that one. It’ll be like Stranger Things meets Ready Player One.

SWpants likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Oh man that sounds fantastic!

Mostlymad likes this.
  3. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I read this book in high school, when I was too young to fully appreciate it. Most vividly, I remember the hurricane scene you mentioned in the review. As I recall, that scene contains the title of the novel. Use of extreme dialect takes me out of a story when I have to read a sentence carefully or twice to pronounce, translate or even identify certain words. Tell me that a character has an accent or is native to a certain region or is uneducated but don't make me read words that aren't spelled correctly.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    All Systems Red, Artificial Condition, and Rogue Protocol the Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The World Remade: America in World War I, by G. J. Meyer. This is a complement to Meyer’s earlier work on World War I as a whole, focused particularly on America: its long period of neutrality and struggle to decide if and how to intervene, its participation in the war, and the process of hashing out the Treaty of Versailles and League of Nations, and controversy over the ratification thereof.

Meyer is eager to challenge conventional narratives, providing some good coverage of the ways that the popular understanding of the war was manipulated by the Allies and Wilson, with propaganda efforts to vilify Germany as its sole cause and villain simply being untrue. He tries to be fair-minded, but comes out with a pretty scathing portrait of Woodrow Wilson — which is only fair, because Wilson was relentlessly awful, a sanctimoniously ignorant, vicious hypocrite who cast everything in terms of moral crusade, rendering him incapable of compromise and contemptuous of opposition, who relentlessly suppressed dissent and disagreement with blatantly unconstitutional draconianness, and who systematically misunderstood or lied about basic principles of international law to create a systematically slanted “neutrality” that was nothing of the sort, exacerbating the conflict before he ever got in it. Meyer also does probably his best work explaining the criticism of the League of Nations and the struggle over ratification.

It’s an edifying book, though rarely operating with quite as much depth as I’d like to see, but it’s somewhat limited by its tone. Meyer takes pains to be evenhanded, but he still finds so much to criticize that the book has a rather caustic overall feel, which can be a bit much to take. Sometimes it feels like all the frustrations Meyer must have felt with this bloody, awful, unnecessary war while writing its history have bubbled out here. Not a fun read, but of value.

6. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic, Volume 2

7. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't read that series but it sounds intriguing. How was it?

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa .

its about a young man and his cat and the chapters alternate with each of them telling the story , he's going across country visiting various old friends and family and remembering incidents in his life and how he adopted this stray cat . it's a beautiful book .

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Is. I just started. They are novellas and just a few chapters in is quite interesting.

11. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Stratagem
    by Robin Caroll

It's a thriller, but Caroll has written it so that I don't have anxiety, as it's third person and switches between characters. I'm really into it so far.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is that the Tales of the Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma stuff or the Zayne Carrick/Griff stuff?

13. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Reading Jemisin’s Broken Earth(my 1st time with her) and I flew through bk 1 in 3 days(rare for me) I loved it. Now cracking away at bk 2.

Will definitely be getting more of her books.

15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Zayne & Gryff. Tales of the Jedi is before this.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Great series. I would avoid Tales of the Jedi. But this series is phenomenal. Probably the best of the SW comics I've read.

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    To be fair, it's written by John Jackson Milller ;)

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Precisely. He's so good.

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    And now I’m on Volume 3 which is not as great at all. Mainly due to the art but some of the story is throwing me

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Avoid tales Of The....

Blasphemy!

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Just finished; Kill Shot by Vince Flynn. Second Mitch Rapp "prequel" another tight thriller w/interesting characters and political machinations. - 7.5/10

About to begin Term Limits by Vince Flynn. Flynn's first novel. Does not feature his Mitch Rapp character, but takes place within the same "universe".

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm all for reading even the bad, if I can get my hands on it ;)
    Then, of course, I complain how bad it is, heh.

23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Finished Broken Earth 2, started 3.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I definitely think the series was at its best when it was dealing with the Lucien Draay & the Covenant stuff. Once that all got resolved, things were kind of less personal for Zayne. And Lucien's just a great character, so when he leaves the series, it definitely leaves a hole. But I still like the whole series.

25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Yes! That is exactly it! You pinpointed it exactly and clarified that for me.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.