main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    You should be fine. I think there's a few references to Rae Sloane, who was a major Imperial character in those novels, but otherwise nothing that would affect your enjoyment of the story.

White Wolf by David Gemmell

Just this one and Swords of Night and Day left of his Drenai novels for me to read now. They've had their ups and downs but in general they've been mostly great reads. So far White Wolf is one of them too.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

Really enjoying it so far.

PymParticles and pronker like this.
  3. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Just finished the Fires of Heaven. Going to take a break and read Master and Apprentice

Grievousdude and PCCViking like this.
  4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Rereading The Crippled God. This Malazan redo plus ICE has taken me soooo much longer than I wanted. 2 1/2 years and I still have more books in total before I’m done.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been gradually reading all of A Song of Ice and Fire over the past four months, since finishing up graduate school back in May. Currently halfway through A Dance With Dragons.

My girlfriend, a huge fan of the films since childhood, is reading through the books for the first time too. I think she's in the first few chapters of Prisoner of Azkaban right now. Having finished up a re-read of the series earlier this year myself, it's fun to see the writing in each book mature with the characters, alongside their perspectives and world views. Hope you enjoy the rest.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Rise and Fall of the British Empire, by Lawrence James. James never gets much beyond an overview of the sweeping history of the staggeringly enormous, world-changing empire, but he does a fair job of laying out its general history and overall dynamics, and highlighting the way it shifted and changed over time, exploring the way Britons thought about it, and providing a few key insights. James is an unexceptional writer, but entertaining enough and pretty fair in examining the legacy of the empire, its flaws and its benefits.

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lone Star Planet (also published as A Planet for Texans) by Henry Beam Piper and John Joseph McGuire, listened to as a talking book from LibriVox, read by Mark Nelson.

It's about Stephen Silk who has been assigned to be the Solar League's new ambassador to the planet New Texas, where they herd gigantic super-cows (who don't look one bit like cows) using tanks and fighter jets. New Texas was created by Texans who migrated there and created a society based on the dream of old Texas and the Wild West, where he killing of a practicing politician can be considered justifiable homicide.

Silk finds out that it was the last part that was the reason why a new ambassador was needed and he is most likely being sent as a sacrifice lamb to give the Solar League a reason to intervene....

I really liked this book, it was fun with is satire of Texan culture/self-image and the main character was witty.

pronker likes this.
  8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Physical:
    Defenders of the Unborn: The Pro-Life Movement before Roe v. Wade
    by Daniel K. Williams

Listening:
    Perelandra
    by C. S. Lewis

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    On the Kindle - Meg: Generations - the sixth in Steve Alten's Meg series. (The recent film was based on the first book).
    Fiction - hoping to start SW Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire later this evening or tomorrow. (Depends on when I finish my current Warhammer 40K book).

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Apollo 13, by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. Originally published as Lost Moon and retitled after the movie, this is less a personal memoir from Lovell — it’s in the third person and doesn’t get too deep into his head — and more an expert witness’s attempt to chronicle the whole incredible story of Apollo 13’s brush with disaster and the incredible efforts that went into saving it. It’s highly informative and does a great job of presenting the tricky science of spaceflight comprehensibly. The chatty prose style is more beach read than sober history tome, but it’s not a lightweight effort and it’s a really compelling read.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It is my understanding the author hated the film primarily as it showed conflict between engineers and astronauts where in reality they all worked together well.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Field Guide to the North American Teenager
    (2019) – Ben Philippe

In this YA novel, we follow Norris Kaplan, a Black French Canadian high schooler who is thrown into utter confusion by his move from Canada to the blistering heat of Texas; well, at least it’s Austin, right? The book is witty and Philippe has a nice sarcastic tone. I would say this book is above average for its genre which is the high-school comedy/drama. Philippe is interested in trotting out all the high-school stereotypes: the weird stoner, the stupid jock, the vapid cheerleader, the artsy nerd, etc. and then subverting them by exploring them and having them turn out to be different than Norris at first thinks. That’s appreciated and he manages to make a couple of them genuinely come to life, like Madison, the cheerleader; her scenes with Norris really work surprisingly well as Philippe develops her and their relationship. But is this really necessary? No, but if your YA reader wants to read a book like this, then this is one you can basically feel comfortable with, because it won’t insult their intelligence as much as most of these books do. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – somewhat above average YA novel is a typical high-school novel with some tropes subverted and a bit more character development than usual; far from great, but not bad. 2 ½ stars.

Gamiel and pronker like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How Canadian is it?

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They lost me at the idea that anyone would move to Austin proper in this housing market, holy **** that's a lot of money.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Rogue1-and-a-half, pronker and Gamiel like this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    @VadersLaMent

It was specifically this scene that was the issue. Lovell said that nothing even remotely like this happened and Ron Howard said that the purpose of this scene was to illustrate the underlying tension for the audience.

Sarge likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You by Caroline Kepnes

It was just made into a Netflix show. I haven't been this disturbed by a novel in a long long time. A little over halfway through.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh hell. I screwed up. I was thinking The Right Stuff.

Sarge likes this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Just finished Gone With the Wind and starting Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith (talk about shift of topics).

E-book: just started re-reading Star Wars: Allegiance by Zahn.

Audiobook: Carrie by Stephen King

Juliet316 , PCCViking and pronker like this.
  19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Scarlett would be intensely interested in the Wealth part, though.[face_money_eyes]

PCCViking and TheAdmiral like this.
  20. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    When I come to think about it she fits as an example for Smith's books. So in a sense they are related.

Oooh, a fellow Wh40k fan, which one?

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Lords of Silence by Chris Wraight. I thought it was pretty good. It's told from the point of view of a group of Chaos Space Marines. I liked it. If you go there, it is kinda gruesome in places so not one to read while eating.

TheAdmiral likes this.
  22. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    [​IMG]

I am catching up with the Horus Heresy. I recommend Gaunt's Ghosts and the Ciaphas Cain books.

pronker likes this.
  23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Reading multiple books at once:

"Commute" book for reading on train: Magician Master by Raymond E. Feist; second book in the Rift War series. So far, pretty interesting.

"Exercise" audiobook for listening to on the treadmill: Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay. So far, a great listen. I love Guy Gavriel Kay's worldbuilding.

Second "exercise" audiobook for when I want a break from that one: The Black Death a Personal History by John Hatcher. I'm learning a lot but it's a bit dry.

"Bedtime" books: Battlefront Twilight Company by Alexander Freed, so far, so good, and Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams, the second book of my current favorite fantasy series that I'm re-reading now.

"Challenge my mind" book: Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Dragon? by Yong Zhao that explores the strengths and weaknesses of the Chinese education system. A compelling read but demands focus.

pronker and Gamiel like this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've tried the Ghosts and Cain books - don't really care for them. I prefer the Space Marines. I like the Inquisitors as well - Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn books were the first ones I read. I've read some of the Horus books as well but the series has just dragged on.

TheAdmiral likes this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, the other characters call him "Canada" and he starts an ice hockey team. :p Honestly, I would say not very. I think Philippe is Canadian and there is a section where Norris goes back to Canada for a brief vacation, but it doesn't lean into the "Canadianness" of the character much. There's no slang to speak of; he basically speaks exactly like an American. And I can't recall many cultural references either.

pronker and Gamiel like this.