main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Glad you’re enjoying it! Always happy when a review helps somebody find something they’re interested in.

pronker likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Reading these Stormlight books is like listening to Pete Buttigieg, droning on and on and on. I will not continue. I skimmed ahead to read the Szeth-son-son portions...omg is it good. But I will not continue on the series where reading it is just a chore just so i can read Szeth parts. These books could easily have been half their length.

Kiki Jinn and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Moving on to an old book I first saw in the Role Of Books section of Dragon magazine way back in the 1980's. A fantasy monk novel by Will Shetterly called Witch Blood.

[​IMG]

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  4. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2014
    Just finished Gettysburg: The Last Invasion. Definitely recommend. It's an in-depth, but easy read about the confederate invasion and subsequent battle.

Now going to read Vicksburg: Grant's Campaign That Broke the Confederacy

pronker and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 12, 2002
    Dark Age, it’s been nonstop these 1st 180pgs. Blew through Iron Gold. Loved it.

Gaunt 4 is going slow only because I’m trying to finish that series and then it’s back to WH40K full time again.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Switching from Sci-Fi to swashbuckling historical horror, currently reading The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard.

The proses are a delight, dripping with atmosphere, and I have the edition with the divine illustrations by Gary Gianni. I also have to voice a somewhat unpopular opinion that I've always preferred tales from the puritan swordsman over Howards more popular creation, Conan the Barbarian.

pronker and Sarge like this.
  7. SWpants

SWpants Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Selected Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder

pronker and Ghost like this.
  8. wobbits

wobbits Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Baptism of Fire Andrzej Sapkowski

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    An African American and Latinx History of the United States by Paul Ortiz
    Brothers of the Buffalo by Joseph Bruchac
    Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Listening to Rhythm of War. Suspect it will be weeks until I finish it, even at 1.2 speed.

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    oohh nice. That's on my list. far away on it, but still. To many Vicksburg books to choose from

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (tr. Bernard Guilbert Guerney and Susanne Fusso).

Plugging away at items in my nonexistent list of "very famous Russian books I haven't read yet" as I continue to delay either moving on to more of The Stormlight Archive or actually doing that reread of War and Peace that keeps threatening to happen, I'm mostly struck by how funny this “epic poem in prose” is (I swear this reading order was not planned based on their pithy labels).

I think Guerney is at least partially to credit for its comedic success, he did a tremendous job both rendering the novel in readable, alternating folksy and pretentious English while also preserving the fidelity of the text (I have never seen a translation so universally well-regarded by authorities in the field, which is lovely for selection purposes). However, there's also just something so charming about some of the exchanges I don't think I could help but love it. There’s really nothing in other works of the time quite like watching an increasingly exasperated Chichikov, hell-bent on acquiring the legal paperwork for deceased but still taxation valid serfs (hence, well, Dead Souls), navigating a series of increasingly bizarre counter arguments against simply handing them over. It’s so reminiscent of The Producers that I half-expect the explanation - if it ever comes, as I honestly have no idea and the book is infamously unfinished - for the bizarre plot to turn out to be that it’s to finance a production of Springtime for Ivan IV.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    pronker and soitscometothis like this.
  13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Done with it now but for a class I was reading Lost City, Found Pyramid: Understanding Alternative Archaeologies and Pseudoscientific Practices by Anderson and Card. nicely provided for free in scans by my professor.

pronker likes this.
  14. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The Fall of Terok Nor, the first in the Millennium trilogy by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens. DS9 is my favorite trek and so it's been a delight to revisit those characters.

vncredleader, pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
    To Dream in the City of Sorrows by Kathryn Drennan
    A Babylon 5 book written by one of the few writers besides JMS to write for the TV show, it fills in what Cmdr Sinclair was up to between leaving B5 and disappearing (trying not to spoil if anyone hasn't watched the show). It's interesting and well-written, and in the foreword JMS says he considers it as canonical as the TV show itself. Definitely recommended for fans of Minbari, Sinclair, Rangers, and Marcus.

16. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2020
    God of Tarot by Piers Anthony

The thing is I missed my prime spot for reading Piers Anthony decades ago. So, it’s interesting to go back as a middle aged man and read some of his books now.
    This is the first book in his Planet Tarot trilogy, which I bought unread vintage copies of so they each have that wonderful old book smell.

Basically tarot card visions are occurring on a planet that is inhabited by a tense alliance of earth colonists who are all divided by religion. It’s weird but enjoyable.

It helps that I have a strong academic (non-New Age-y, occult-y) interest in tarot.

pronker likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ben Bova passed away

Complications of covid and a stroke. I read some of his Gran Tour books, stopping at Jupiter, and the non-fiction Immortality.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
    Windsworn by Derek Alan Siddoway
    Book 1 of the Gryphon Riders trilogy, YA fantasy. It's fine. Not much doubt in my mind that the author also liked Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern.

19. MrJ3ST3R

MrJ3ST3R Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2020
    Waiting on Kenobi to arrive in the mail...ill be reading that soon. :obiwan::ben::bluesaber:

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
    Figured this would be the best place to share here:

Alan Dean Foster and a representative gave an interview on this YouTube channel, on the #disneymustpay controversy

PS - I really enjoy this guy’s wacky channel, does a lot of a fantasy/scifi reviews (books and shows/movies), lore, fantasy/scifi news, and authors with the biggest authors around today. And he’s funny.

vncredleader, pronker and MrJ3ST3R like this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    There's a thread going on that situation over in the Literature forum if you want to join the discussion.

pronker likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
    Windswept by Derek Siddoway
    Book 2 of the Gryphon Riders trilogy. It hits all the usual tropes, even if they don't make a lot of sense. To be fair, there's still one book to go which might tie up all the loose ends and fill in the plot holes. Maybe.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Witch Blood is a fun, quick book at under 200 pages. It is not as martial arts centered as it appears but does include a way of life and kata in that regard. Otherwise it includes mind switch back story and the defense of a keep against a few hundred invaders.

Ah it is time. Ready Player 2 by Ernest Cline.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 7

Oct 4, 1998
    Windbreak by Derek Siddoway
    That finishes the Gryphon Riders trilogy. It was okay. But have you noticed how hard it is to read when your eyes roll all the way to the back of your skull at the repeated villainous monologuing? The virtual boxed set also included a couple of gryphon rider short stories that I liked better than the "epic" trilogy.

pronker and dolphin like this.
  25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 12, 2002
    Got Rhythm of War yesterday in TX and started it after I got home. Big beast. Hurts my hands.

dolphin likes this.