main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What changes, if any, would you like to see to the films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Oct 12, 2019.

?

What is your stance on additional changes to the films?

1. I would be in favor of future changes and believe that they may happen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I would be in favor of future changes but believe that the films won't be altered anymore

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. I would not be in favor of future changes but believe they may happen

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. I would not be in favor of future changes and believe that the films won't be altered

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. I would prefer the films (or at least some of them) return to their original state

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Originally, I was going to make this thread strictly about predictions. Specifically, for the inevitable future re-releases of the films, do you think that any additional changes will be made with the oversight of George?

However, I think that the discussion would get old fast so I decided to make this be a general discussion thread about changes that you would want to see done to any of the released films, keeping in mind that the 2011 Blu-Ray versions may be what we're stuck with forever. Just a hypothetical!

If there is already a similar thread, please redirect me.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, I hate to be that guy, but I'm afraid my stance is (mostly) not up there

I have no strong opinion either way on future changes. Prooooobably leaning more in favour of it than against, but it isn't something I'm hugely demanding, much as I love the majority of edits made to existing films over the years

I also can't really answer for the "believe the films will/won't be altered" part since my stance is that I don't think there's a significant probability going one way or another. If we get more special editions, we get 'em. If not, we don't

darkspine10 and Deliveranze like this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is a tricky one for me... I hate some of the scene changes to the OT, but love the updated visual effects. I suppose you can't have it both ways...

Ideally what I would have loved them to do was the LOTR's scenario. Have the original films as are and then have extended editions with EXTRA material like some of the deleted scenes cleaned up and put in the film. Just let people choose.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I honestly don't really care. I like a lot of the OT changes and the slight PT ones for the Blu Ray. They are bound to be updated eventually, so its whatever.

I would like to have scenes added though into the standard/"theatrical" films. Biggs for ANH, the bunker skirmish in ROTJ, Padme confronting Palpatine in ROTS, etc.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm not in favor of future changes; just leave them as they are (though I'd prefer that they dispensed with the current sound mix, where the sound effects overpowers the music). However, I'm pretty sure that Disney will change them again, depending on the potential profit of such a move. In fact, I can see them deciding to just go ahead and reboot the whole PT and OT, though they'll probably wait until George Lucas has passed on to try it.

6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    As i already said before a few times, i think the only additional change that would make sense would be a scene with Palpatine in the senate rotunda or imperial palace where he disbands the senate. Because ANH is the only movie in the OT and the PT without an appearance by him.

Actually George should already have done this for the 1997 SE instead of including Jabba, which wasn't such a good idea imo.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    :confused:Tell me more, I wasn't aware of this being cut down in the finished film :)

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

I believe this was on the 2011 Blu Ray edition.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I would be very surprised if there weren't a clause in the purchase agreement stipulating that no substantive changes can ever be made to the original six films without George Lucas's approval.

Even in the absence of such a clause, I would also be very surprised if Disney ever were to make the decision that this would be a prudent thing to do.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I agree.

I agree... in part. If a "no alterations" clause doesn't exist, it would be politic of Disney to keep their hands off the OT & PT while Lucas is alive. But after his death, there'd be nothing stopping them from re-editing the films to remove anything future generations might find "objectionable". See: the slave centaurs in Fantasia, the opening song in Aladdin, any photo of Walt Disney with a cigarette...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't think either the OOT or the Special Editions need any changes.

The ST remains to be seen, although the ones I can think of cannot be added retroactively.

12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I wanna see a ROTJ cut with Hayden Christensen's face, Matt Lanter's voice, Sebastian Shaw's hair, Jake Lloyd's height, and Mat Lucas's scream.

darkspine10 likes this.
  13. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Prequels:
    I strongly vote for adding the polictal Scenes to Episode III which would make even more sense with THE CLONE WARS adding so much more Content to Bail, Padme and Mon Mothma. I also want to see Obi-Wan visiting Padme before leaving for Utapau included (and I'd love to see the Scene at all).

Beside this: Add the Senate Scene of Episode II after Padme was attacked on the landing platform at the beginning and MAYBE some Naberrie Family stuff.

Original:
    Delete the rock R2 is hiding behind from the Tusken in Ep IV, which was added for the BD release.
    Maybe add the Original Luke introdcution for Jedi

Sequels:
    Add the Scene in Maz' Castle Basement where Finn loses his Blaster (which is why he does not have it when leaving the Castle ruins) for Ep VII.
    Add Lukes Han mourning and Lesson 3 for Ep VIII.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Darth Caliban and heels1785 like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Honestly I would be a happy camper if they only did just one single thing:

Make the lightsaber effects look consistent across ALL NINE saga films! I'm amazed at this prominent inconsistency from episode to episode-even in the ST films!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    This is really the only thing I'd like to see happen.

Well, that and filling in the color for the outer space shots of Artoo in ANH just like they already did for the other two films.

[​IMG]

Seriously, what is the deal?

Oh yeah, and do something about this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Come the heck on, guys.

But again, even for stuff as minor and obvious as this, I wouldn't endorse Disney doing anything unless they got the creator's say-so.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I just want high quality versions of the original cuts. If they can give me that, I say have at it.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    If they could do that, I think they would have either already done it, or they would have told us they're going to do it. It's been seven years.

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    They'll probably wait a while longer. Have it on an anniversary or something.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    That's exactly what people have been saying for seven years. Over and over and over again. It hasn't happened.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It's been SEVEN YEARS, and we're only now getting a live action show.

Stuff takes time, and Disney's gonna milk it for all it's worth if/when they do it.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It doesn't remotely take seven years to restore and put out the OOT on home media. Nor does it take that long to give any indication--any indication at all--that it's something that's in the works or, indeed, that they are even legally able to do:

As far as I know, there's only one person who could make this happen and he hasn't seemed all that interested.— Beloved By Reddit (@pablohidalgo) February 23, 2017

Good morning! What's kept the original theatrical editions off of home video is the same thing that's always been doing that. It's not a studio thing.

— Pablo Hidalghost of Christmas Future (@pablohidalgo) December 14, 2017

And for what it's worth*, I'd love to have 'em.

* it is worth nothing

There's one pretty noteworthy person who doesn't want them released. Shouldn't be too hard to research who that is.

Can't get much more definitive than that. There's clearly a clause in the purchase contract saying they can't do it, and Lucasfilm clearly doesn't really want to talk about it.

I think it's time to stop getting your hopes up. You're only going to be disappointed.

e: Edited to remove quote that was apparently out of context.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019