main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

What character or characters are your favorite(s) to write?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss what character or characters are your favorite(s) to write in a story, vignette, etc. and why. I hope something like this doesn't exist. I have seen little conversations like this in the Gentlemen's Writing Guild, but no real thread solely for it.

2. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    This is a good idea for a thread!

I love to get inside the complex minds of Anakin and Obi-Wan. =P~ ;)

I also have a fascination with Mon Mothma, but I haven't written anything about her yet. I plan to though!

Beru is a neat character too. I might have some plans for her...

3. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Thanks Nienna. I love reading stories and vignettes in the Fan Fiction Forum and I thought it would be great to hear some author's opinions answering questions such as:
    Who is hard to write?

Who is easy to write?

Who your favorite character(s) is/are?

It can really help other authors by hearing the different opinions.

4. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Nienna? A Mon Mothma expert? Very interesting. I might need your help and insight in the future, as I'm going be writing an Obi-Wan/Mon Mothma for my next story.

5. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    It can really help other authors by hearing the different opinions.

I agree.

For me, even the thought of trying to write Han or Luke is daunting. I don't think I could ever get their personalities right. I just don't have a good grasp on their characters. And I'd be scared to mess up because the OT and its characters are so idealized. People might not like the story if I interpret Han or Luke differently than they view them. Am I making any sense? I don't usually. 8-}

You know, I really shouldn't be saying this considering I signed up for the "I Dare You" challenge... [face_worried]

EDIT: Well, I wouldn't say that I'm a Mon Mothma expert, but I have been researching her lately. I'd be glad to help you, but I don't know if I have the knowledge you're looking for.

6. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Hmm, this looks fun!

Who is hard to write? For me, any of the movie characters. Luke, Leia, Han, etc. I only really feel like I can write a character after I've been inside their head, and that's something I don't get with the movies.

Who is easy to write? Zekk, Tenel Ka, and Ton Phanan are my favorites to write.

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? Zekk, Phanan, Raynar and Lusa.

:)

7. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with you if we get each other as partners in the "I Dare You" Challenge.

Anyways...

Hardest? I don't know... I have yet to delve into the complex minds of Anakin and Obi-Wan; a rephrasing of what Nienna said. ;) Probably those Jedi Council people, Mace, Yoda, etc.

Easiest? Movie Sith Lords! Sidious and Maul, especially. I've never written Vader before, and I've written Dooku once. But Sidious and Maul, they are easy! They're such complicated characters, in a different way from Anakin and Obi-Wan. I guess my interest in them (I love the wrinkles and tattoos!) makes it easier for me. But, I don't trip on myself when I have to kill them off.

8. East_Coast_Ryder

East_Coast_Ryder Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2005
    Well, I find Anakin/Darth Vader very hard to write, but he's also my favorite. I like the challenge. I've been told that I have captured the 'duality' of Anakin very well.

The easiest character to write... Han. Just get him mad about everything ;)

9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I'll join in...

Who is hard to write?

Palpatine. The character is dark and very deep. The problem is that we don't know too much about his inner workings. We get hints of him but when he's written, you only see what he does, but there is no great "This is what it feels like to be Palpatine, right now:" moments. So...he's a huge challenge.

Who is easy to write?

Anakin. For me, delving into this guys mind is like swimming in a warm lake. I'm completely at ease there.

My favorite characters in order of preference (highest to lowest): Anakin, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, Mace-Windu, and Yoda (now that I'm exorcising some demons with him). Others that I love: Leia, Luke, Han Solo, Chewie, Shaak Ti, Count Dooku, General Grevious (the one from the cartoon and books, not the walking trash-can in the movies) and, of course, the droids!! :D

10. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    I figured you would enjoy writing Anakin, Sounderwan. Thanks for joining in.

11. aldocassidy

Jun 22, 2005

Haha. Hilarious stuff there.

Oh well, the survey though.

Who is hard to write?: Hmmm. I guess I haven't really had experience writing the big 3 OT characters (Luke, Leia, and Han), and don't even mention the beyond the trilogy stuff. Plus, being a guy, it's tougher getting into the heads of the female characters.

Who is easy to write?: Anakin probably. Obi-Wan too, especially when they are interacting with each other.

Who your favorite character(s) is/are?: Favorites are probably all various ones from the Prequel Trilogy. I enjoyed writing and delving into Palpatine's pysche immensely in one of my stories. It was perfect, obviously, but I was pretty satisfied as I was able to breath a little humanity into the guy while still having him unrepentantly evil. (I was touched as a bunch of my readers all commented on how disgusted they felt because they felt sympathy for Palps for the first time.) It was a lot of fun doing that, but probably not something I would do again.

12. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Who is hard to write? Palpatine! I have written him for a challenge--I admit, I don't get him at all--so I had Souderwan beta for me and he helped quite a bit.

Who is easy to write? I don't know if it's easy, but I enjoy writing Anakin. I just wrote Leia and really liked her spirit so I may try that again. I wrote Shmi once and that was pretty easy.

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? Anakin/Vader is my favorite. I like Obi-Wan and have written him in connection with Anakin. Dialogue can be tricky but we have a lot of EU materials to use for modeling Obi-Wan and Anakin's interactions so that helps.

13. aldocassidy

Jun 22, 2005
    Just read your challenge, A_F, and you did a great job on all the characters.

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, I'll do this!

Who is hard to write?
    I'd say any characters from Before... simply due to the fact that I don't really know them that well.

Who is easy to write?
    I swear, I can write Tenel Ka and Jacen in my sleep! It's almost eerie how I can do it, too. Oh, and Lusa and Tionne. Two underappreciated characters that I feel need more attention.

Tenel Ka, Jacen, Jaina, Zekk, Lusa, Raynar, Tionne, Mara, Luke, Han, Chewie and Sannah.

No, seriously. I'm awesome at Tenel Ka and Jacen.

15. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Ooh, this sounds like fun!

Who is hard to write?

I have issues writing Qui-Gon's perspective. I feel like I'm making him too flat and the only place I think he's fleshed out is in the JA series (which I haven't read). Also, even though I love Obi-Wan, he can be a real pain sometimes, because I worry that I'm making him too much of "me" and not enough of what the character is actually like.

Who is easy to write?
    Oddly enough, I have the easiest time with Palpatine. He's overconfident in his power, devious and scheme-y, and evil can be a ton of fun to write. ;) Oh, and Yoda, simply because it's fun to have him beat up people with sticks. ;)

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon and Anakin, simply because of the banter that flows between them. I'm jealous of writers that make it seem so fluid and easy; I really have to work to capture the same kind of sarcasm and sharp wit these characters have. So even though I have a hard time writing with them, I love them all to death. Weird, huh? But that's just me; I'm weird.

Stormqueen

16. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Thanks for responding everyone. Its very interesting to see the different opinions.

17. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Who is hard to write?
    I have a hard time with Padme.

Who is easy to write?
    Yoda. Yoda is super easy for me to wrap my head around. He's very trippy and I have a old friend that thinks in very Yodaesque philosophical terms. If you're ever having trouble with Yoda burn a little incense and drink some chai and that will put you in the zone.

I'm a sucker for OCs so my favorite characters to write are the ones that give me the most latitude to explore and develop. Elan Sleazebaggano, Mas Amedda and the boys in gray from the bridge of the Executor are all my favorites.

18. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Who is hard to write? Probably Palpatine, although I have done it. He's a bit too much pure evil for me to feel comfortable.

Who is easy to write? Obi-Wan (He's very sympathetic); Anakin or Luke if I'm feeling peeved at the world.

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, Han, Yoda

19. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Who is hard to write? Leia is very hard for me to write, so hard that I haven't really tried to write her yet because the very idea is daunting. Luke is also hard to write but I adore him so I do it anyway. :) And Qui-Gon is hard but I keep trying because I like the character a good bit.

Who is easy to write? Obi-Wan is surprisingly easy for me to write, I never would have expected it. Anakin is also easy to write, but trying to write him & Vader at the same time is hard as the dickens!

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? Luke, Obi-Wan, Anakin/Vader, Qui-Gon, Han, the Droids, Mara

20. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Who is hard to write?

Coming out of left field a bit here, but I'm having difficulty with Revan from KOTOR. Mainly a case of trying my darndest to make him not a Gary Stu, which happens a LOT in KOTOR fanfic. And I know why, but I'd like him to be a bit more complex than that.

Who is easy to write?

I have this nasty habit of saturating myself with characters before I ever attempt writing them, and I pick up phraseology and mannerisms like a sponge. Consequently, I can stick myself into "Carth Mode" or "Wes Janson Mode" or "Jaina Mode" with a relative amount of ease. Characterization is something I've never had much of a problem with as far as canon characters are concerned. It's kinda weird, but I'm not complaining.

Who are your favourite characters?

Well, before I ever touched KOTOR, I loved Jaina Solo. I also loved writing banter between Wes Janson and Wedge Antilles. Then I got KOTOR for Christmas, and now I'm also in love with Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Canderous Ordo, Jolee Bindo, and, quite frankly, most of the KOTOR crew. Oh yeah, and Darth Vader rocks my socks. :p

21. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I can write anybody if I put my mind to it, but Vergere and the Yuuzhan Vong are tricky - which is why "Stars Called Galaxy" will probably wait until next Monday (yup, in September, gasp!) for an update. I don't feel up to writing Sith Pink Chicken or the scarheads ATM.

I've liked writing Lando, Wedge, Obi-Wan, and Threepio the most, I think. "Stars Called Galaxy" fans, expect Karrde sometime soon. I can't resist a chance to write Karrde.

22. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Wonderful thread topic! [face_dancing]

Hmm..considering I just started my foray into SW ff, I'll have to go on from my recent writing experiences.

Who is hard to write? Sly Moore. Because, let's face it people...she doesn't say much in the movies nor in novel format of AotC or RotS. ;)

I also find H/L and Luke can be a bit daunting.

Who is easy to write? Lando...hands down. I just think 'charmer', and he gets along brilliantly with my muse. (I find Palpatine to be therapeutic, oddly enough--don't know if that's a good or bad thing). hehe 8-}

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? While they're a challenge to write, I love writing H/L and Luke. Mara Jade is always a joy, as well as Karrde.

23. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    I'm a big proponent of expanding rather than rewriting the SW universe so my favorite characters to read about and write are OC's and less traditional characters.

24. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Who is hard to write? Hmmm I'd have to say the older Obi, Padme, and Leia. Not too comfortable with the girls and Obi is juz too complex at times for me. Could say Yoda due to his speech pattern. But mainly the three I mentioned before.

Who is easy to write? [face_mischief] Need I say who is on that top list?? [face_laugh] Dooku of course! [face_love] Also Jo (Jocasta Nu), Qui-Gon, Anakin, Mace, and Palpatine. A few others I can't think of right now (Mountain Dew hasn't kicked in yet... [face_laugh])

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? As if that's a hard question to answer! Dooku of course! [face_love] Palps too, Qui-Gon, Obi, Jo, Yoda, Vos, and a few others I can't think of due to not being awake as of yet.

Great idea this was Darth-Lutgerous! :D

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Who is hard to write?
    Luke, the adorable ever-changing Luke[face_love] . I could never get a handle on him so that I just don't write him much. Which is too bad because I love reading Luke stories.
    Obi-Wan isn't exactly hard but I do lose his character once in a while. Then I step back and think about it for a while before trying again.

Who is easy to write? Easiest for me is Qui-Gon Jinn. I can pretty much figure out what he would say and when. However, once in a while, I lose track and then I just pop in TPM and enjoy the ride. For some reason, Anakin is also pretty easy to write - I think because he is so open about his feelings.

Who your favorite character(s) is/are? To write, the fab four. Qui-Gon [face_love], Obi-Wan, Anakin and Luke. As a reader, I'm also a sucker for Luke/Mara stories and Han/Leia ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.