main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What character or characters are your favorite(s) to write?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Who is hard to write?

No surpise here. Qui-Gon. :p

Who is easy to write?

Obi-Wan and Xanatos.

Who your favorite character(s) is/are?

Obi-Wan, Xanatos, Anakin/Vader, Quinlan Vos, Whie Malreaux and Jacen Solo.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Who is hard to write?
    Yoda, Palpatine, Padme

Who is easy to write?
    Anakin/Vader, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon (though my readers may disagree :p)

Anakin/Vader [face_dancing] and then Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, though I must say Xanatos is fascinating. Luke Skywalker is wonderful, oh well, just say Jedi...

3. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Master, why does your reply to this not surprise me one, little bit? :p (except that she forgot to add that she write's an awesome OC when she wants to) As for me:

Who is hard to write?
    Anything evil is nie on impossible for me and is my current personally-imposed challenge.

Who is easy to write?
    Obi-Wan is a piece of cake. It sounds cliched, but I just seem to see so much of myself in his reserved, dry-witted, loyal character. (okay, except for the whole Jedi, male, sexy thing :p)
    Qui-Gon and Anakin seem to be fairly doable as well.

Obi-Wan, of course, but the OT trio are dear to my heart. R2 just rocks my socks.

4. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Obi_ew: It seems that a lot of people are divided on Qui-Gon. He's either hard or easy.

VaderLVR64: I figured you would love writing Anakin. The name says all.

Jennifer_Lyn: I can see Obi-Wan being fun to write, as well as R2.

Thanks for more responses everyone.

By the way, does anyone think I should change the title?

5. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Title's pretty good, in my opinion. Tells you exactly what the thread is about.

6. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Yeah, but I sort of wanted to expand and add more questions about writing different characters.

7. aldocassidy

Jun 22, 2005
    How about the Writers' Character Exploration Thread or something like that?

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I think the title's name is cool. Says enough without slamming you over the head with exposition on what's inside, thereby whetting the appetite and leaving the poster wanting to click, read and probably post.

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Who is hard to write?

Obi-Wan, Dooku, and Padme are the hardest for me to write.

Who is easy to write?

Qui-Gon Jinn :D and Anakin

Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Xanatos, Han, Leia, Luke, Mara, Grand Admiral Thrawn and Prince Xizor -- the best developed villains in the EU :D .

10. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *pokes head in again* If I may make a suggestion, with all due and humble respect? You said you wanted to get a discussion going, so what if you start with the first question you posted (who is difficult for you to write), have the person explain why and then have people make suggestions for how they might make that task easier? Like, I have difficulty writing Qui-Gon because I have issues getting inside his head, and then people respond to me with the mindset they think he has.

*shrugs* Feel free to take this and do with it what you will.

Stormqueen

11. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Good idea stormqueen!

Okay, I'd like to focus a bit more on the first question.

Who is hard to write?

I know I said this before, but get into more detail about the question. Answer "why?" Then, other people can make suggestions that can help the person write that character better and they can list the character(s) that they have trouble with. Get the idea?

12. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    [face_blush] I'm glad I could be of help! :)

I'm pretty sure I already said this, but I have issues writing Qui-Gon simply because I don't feel there's enough in the movies for me to get into his head. Everyone writes him as this wonderfully developed, angsty character, and I would love to know how this is accomplished. Should I just break down and start hunting down copies of the JA series?

13. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Wish I could help you there, stormqueen. I only know the QGJ from TPM. I can write that guy but I know nothing outside of that. Maybe I'll be able to help you after I've actually tried to integrate him into a story! [face_laugh]

As for me...

Palpatine. The character is dark and very deep. The problem is that we don't know too much about his inner workings. We get hints of him but when he's written, you only see what he does, but there is no great "This is what it feels like to be Palpatine, right now:" moments. So...he's a huge challenge. (Re-posted from earlier because it sums up my problem). I think I did OK with him in a recent Viggie I wrote, but to give you an idea of how hard he is to write, I killed him off in the very first chapter of my first fic! [face_laugh] (Ok....killing him was necessary but that wouldn't have been as much fun to say).

14. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    I spend a lot of time writing about characters who have less screen time than the LucasFilm logo. Look at body language and start with that in terms of getting into a character's head. Also you can get a lot from watching scenes with the sound muted.

Get the JA books? You can also read the film novelization for more insight, Terry Brooks did TPM. I have a love/hate relationship with Jude Watson's books, I've read them but spent a lot of time wanting to attack her with a spoon.

15. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Sounder, if you need help with Palpatine, I suggest you visit the Palpatine thread started by LLL. I think it'll help.

16. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    I just KNOW this is going to tick off Palpatine fans, but I treat him like a standard bad guy. I've never attempted a Palpatine-centric fic (and I may just have to now, just so I can test my ideas...) He's creepy and cunning, and very good and turning people against each other. When I write him, I put myself in this superior frame of mind while trying to appear humble, like I know a big secret that no one else around me does and it amuses the heck out of me. He's very dark, but for some reason I have no problem working with that. Does that mean I'm evil at heart? I certainly hope not... [face_worried] ;)

I spend a lot of time writing about characters who have less screen time than the LucasFilm logo. Look at body language and start with that in terms of getting into a character's head. Also you can get a lot from watching scenes with the sound muted.

Thanks for the info, oqidaun! That actually helps quite a bit. :)

17. aldocassidy

Jun 22, 2005
    I agree, stormqueen. I think that by the time of the movies Palpatine is the definitive prototype of pure, unadulturated, and unrepentant evil. In my opinion it would be very hard to really dig into his psychology without uncovering his past, which still remains a mystery.

I find it easier when writing Palps manipulating other people and politicians, as we've seen him do it so well in the movie. It's those moments where he is alone and brooding in his own evilness that is probably the hardest to capture.

18. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    That's how I write Palpatine, too, almost word for word.

About Yoda and Mace. I can't really write them without making them seem Gary Stu-ish. That's why I put them in minor roles in serious stories. If I ever make them major characters, I usually do it in humor so I can exaggerate some things.

19. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Gary Stu? That's the male version of a Mary Su, right? Writing Yoda and Mace is fun for me, simply because to me Mace has this impatience to him and that it's really, really hard to gain his good favor. Yoda is neat because he gets to hit people with sticks. ;)

20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yoda was hard for me. But I've reshaped him and made him into a real character. So now he's pretty easy. :)

21. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    Don't forget Yoda is also cool because he talks "backwords." ;) It makes it really fun to write him.

22. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    That drives me nuts! I have to say his lines aloud when I write him and then my roommate pokes her head in my room, asking "Why are you talking like Yoda?" (I suppose I should be thankful she knows who Yoda is, I have one friend who, midway ROTS turned to me and asked who he was. I couldn't respond, I was so stunned.) It's kind of embarrassing, but I can't help it. I have to make sure the line sounds Yoda-y!

23. Darth-Lutgerous

May 24, 2005
    I love talking aloud like that. My friends and I have so much fun doing it.

24. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    I have two friends who love Star Wars, but neither of them are obsessed enough to join a message board about it. :p The rest know of Star Wars, think it's cool, but that's it. My brother (who is at the same obsessed level as me) will sometimes joke with me back and forth in a Yoda type voice, which is great when we want to annoy our dad, who can't stand Star Wars. (And yet he bought Episode 1... go fig, eh?)

25. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I have to agree that Yoda is fun. Hmm... as far as which are hardest/easiest... thinking.

It really depends on the story. I'll be honest; I have trouble writing female characters for some reason. It's less of an issue in movieverse stories because there aren't as many of them that are extremely detailed, so one can get away with more improvisation; however, it does make it more tempting to use OCs which can be good or bad depending on how it's done. But I could probably write any character passably, and none of them extremely well, with the possible exception of a few Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.