main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What comics did you pick up this week?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Looking through the pages, I didn't see a thread like this. There's on in Amp on basically, what comics did you purchase any given week and what did you think of them?

Tomorrow, I'm planning on picking up the following:
    Knights of the Old Republic #2
    Amazing Spiderman #529
    Astonishing X-Men #13
    Fantastic Four #535
    Iron Man, the Invitable #3
    Wolvervine vs. the Hulk #2

2. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Today I picked up

Batman 650
    Supergirl 5
    Amazing Spiderman 529
    Astonishing X-Men 13
    Capt. America 15
    Fantastic Four 535
    Iron Man 3
    New X-Men 23
    Sentry 6
    Storm 1
    Thing 4
    Ultimate Spiderman 90
    Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk 2
    Wolverine 39
    X-Men 183
    KOTOR 2
    Wizard 175

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    KOTOR #2- I've yet to read this one yet, saving it for tonight.
    Book of Lost Souls #5 - this series is highly recommended.
    Amazing Spiderman- good, leading to something big it seems.
    Green Latern #9- bit of a holding story with some nice character moments.
    Catwoman #52- quite good, a great ending that leaves me excited for one year later.
    Batman #650- excellent issue- the ending is of particular interest.

Batman: Year One- I hate Miller's All Star series but I figured I'd give this book a try. It was very good- my only complaint is the handling of Catwoman.

4. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Weird, I was thinking of just such a thread after I hit the comic book shop earlier today. Here's what I got:

Amazing Spider-Man #529
    Astonishing X-Men #13
    Supergirl #5 (There were two covers and I picked this one.)
    Wonder Woman #226

5. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I picked up:

Astonishing Xmen 13
    Exiles 77
    KOTOR 2
    Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk 2
    Wolverine 39
    Xmen 183

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Picked up the following:

KOTOR #2- Very good issue, right on the heels of the first, looks like we've got a killer story arc.

The Amazing Spiderman 529 - Surprisingly, I wasn't as bothered by the new suit as I was thinking I would be. It worked pretty well in this issue, and a nice setup for Civil War

Wolverine Vs. The Hulk - Not bad, although no shockers like Wolverine getting ripped in half, mostly explaination for the first issue.

Fantastic Four 535- Cool issue, had the Thing going up against the Hulk (Did they clone him?) and some weird things like that.

Astonishing X-Men 13 - I really need to go and read the first issues of this, but I loved it, especially when we learn that Wolverine speaks chinese.

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Since I buy comics online now (nearest store is in Brighton around 40 minutes away) they usually arrive a week later so you'll forgive me if these are a little old.

Conan: Demons of Khitai #4 - a pretty good end to this little mini-series. It's quite refreshing to jump ahead of the current continuity and see Conan as a King.

Empire #39 - Another excellent issue from Hartley and Fabbri. Sunber is fast becoming a favourite character.

GI Joe: America's Elite #8 - I really like this new slightly harder series, and am quite a fan of Casseli's artwork.

Red Sonja Goes East - Rather mindless affair. Red Sonja kills some people. The end.

Cable and Deadpool #25 - Captain America vs Cable. Not quite the epic showdown that was expected, and I'm missing the classic Udon style already, but good enough.

Punisher vs Bullseye #4 - Always good. Though the red noses bothered me as being a bit too visually comic for what is quite a serious tale.

Got the new Starship Troopers on the way.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Conan #25 and KOTOR #2.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I really liked Batman this week.

Jason: Out of everyone, why not kill him? AFTER WHAT HE DID TO ME!!!

Bat: You don't think I've thought about it? I've stayed up nights imagining a month that I would put him through the worst kind of torments imaginable, all ending in a horrible screaming death.

Joker: Yeah I've thought about that too.

10. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    I agree, but I thought the issue would've been even better if they had regular artist Mike Deodato Jr. on board. To have seen those last panels with Tony Stark drawn with the Timothy Dalton likeness that Deodato uses for him would've been awesome. Ron Garney's art just didn't cut it for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wolverine was actually speaking Japanese in that scene. He was responding to something Hisako said, and since she's Japanese, it would make sense for that to be the language of their brief exchange (especially given Logan's history in Japan).

As for the book itself, it was another great issue in what is by far my favorite comic book series currently running. I love everything Joss Whedon does and this is no exception. You should definitely check out the earlier story arcs on trade paperback.

11. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
  12. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Knights of the Old Republic #2: There are a lot of good elements of an awesome story here, but they haven't quite come together yet for me. It?s not bad, but neither is it good enough that I?m going to get it as religiously as I did Republic under John and Jan. Speculation: Zayne is the Exile. The Jedi/Sith Masters know a prophecy or two, and are trying to get rid of the Exile before the Exile can do his thing.

Lucifer #71: Tons of fun. Lots of old characters coming back. The main story is done, we?re in epilogue mode now, and I don?t mind an epilogue like this lasting four more issues. This issue had Lucifer going back to the old Lucifer. That was really, really good to see. Meleos got what he deserved, in advance.

Batman #650: There were good moments and bad moments. I don?t think that the bad outweighed the good, but this leaves so much unresolved it?s not funny. Honestly, it?s a sprawling epic (in length only) to introduce Red Hood as a reoccurring villain that Batman can beat, who is at large. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hyperion #4: This was decent. Most of the issue was about Mark and Mark talking, and it?s good to see that Mark is still relatively innocent and that Mark hasn?t gone completely evil yet. Or maybe he has, and the thing that I?m looking to as the last spark of good in him is just another example of him being crazy evil.

Supergirl #5: This issue was cool. Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman all got their shots in. Interesting job that that Loeb has done with the pecking order: Kara can take out the entire Justice League, but I got the impression that any one of the big three could take her on their own. Great, great line from Superman in this one: ?One thing you should have learned by now, Kara ? Don?t believe everything you hear!? as he punches out Supergirl. And there was a very good explanation for why Supergirl is apparently more powerful than Superman.

Astonishing X-Men #13: Good, not great, following in the trend of recent issues of this series. In my opinion, the best scenes were in the danger room with Wolverine.

Exiles #77: That settles it. I?m dropping Exiles. That bad.

Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk: I have two things to say about this. 1) Even if you like neither Wolverine, nor the Hulk, nor even the show Lost: Run to your local comic shop and buy this now. 2) Oooh! Fishie!!!

Ultimate Spider-Man: Not a bad issue, but not a great issue. I?m looking forward to next issue though. The best moment of this was the X-men laughing at the latest mess that Peter has gotten himself into.

Green Lantern #9: A meh issue. A better premise to bring Hal and Bruce together was definitely needed. Having said that, the last scene was OK, if only because it confirms that Batman has the willpower to control a power ring ? heck, it took Kyle a little time to even change the uniform and Batman got that in seconds.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999

Yeah! I just noticed that and was a little annoyed.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I rather liked his work.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I didn't mind it, but the other stuff was much better.

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I picked up the Wanted TPB at a convention this weekend. I haven't gotten a chance to read it though, because schoolwork finally caught up to me. :p

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I have absolutly no interest in Civil War, so I'll probably be dropping just about all non-Ultimate Marvel titles (New Avengers I'm staying on, but that's it). Which will be good for my wallet, but not as good as I'd hoped when I made the descision - my buying habits have shifted dramatically towards DC already.

Damn Crisis!

18. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I can't believe you'd forsake Marvel for DC. Since I've been out of the comic buying game for a couple of years now, I might have missed something, but in my day Marvel was everything.

19. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Marvels been a little off latly. Alright, alot off. They're last two events were essentially the same thing "Wanda goes crazy!" and they seem to have no real effects on the characters, They have Clarmount driving their X-titles into the ground, they stretch everything to a point where it's hard to care (Tell me the Other was worth 12 issues) and all and all have just had a less sense of excitment and urgancy then DC does.

That said, I will be picking up Civil War stuff. Mainly because it's Miller, and I want to see if they make Cap pro registration act. And if they do, I will kill Quesada.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It looks like Quesada better watch out then. Because looking at this picture:

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/darthcolin/CivilWar.jpg]

There's no way Spider-Man or The Sentry are going to be pro-reg. And when you look at who they are in opposition with...

21. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    New books today. I got:

Adventures of Superman 649
    Empire 40 (last issue)
    Infinite Crisis 5
    KOTOR/Rebellion Flip Book
    New Excalibur 5
    Uncanny Xmen 470

22. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    The only comic I picked up today was Runaways #13. Not a new release, but I've been wanting to give this series a shot for a while and this seemed like the right opportunity.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I picked up

the KOTOR/Republic flip book
    Ultimates 2 #10
    X-Factor #4
    Exiles: Vol 12 TPB

Ultimates was amazing as usual. I have a lot more respect for Hawkeye now. And I just love where X-Factor is going. It has the perfect amount of comedy mixed in with what can only be described as a noir detective story. Great stuff.

24. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    i don't normally pick up ind. comics just the graphic novels...

Ultimate XMen 9 - 12
    Astonishing XMen 1 & 2

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I got the following:

Hellboy Makoma #2
    Fun conclusion to #1, although the artstyle wasn't my favorite, I like the traditional Hellboy look, but the story was great. Hellboy's face at the end of that was awesome, can't wait for the next ones.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #5
    This was an interesting, but forgettable issue, with a woman who gets a restrainting order against Spidey. Standalone, decent, but not great

Daredevil #82
    This is my first Daredevil comic, really enjoyed it, loved the art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.