main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What did you think of The Fellowship of the Rings?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Kessel Runner, Dec 20, 2001.

?

What did you think of The Fellowship of the Rings?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Loved! Best Movie of the Year

55.8%
  2. Thought it was great

23.6%
  3. It was good, but could have been much better

7.6%
  4. It was allright

4.3%
  5. Didn't care for it much

3.3%
  6. They Destroyed TOLKIEN!!!

2.0%
  7. Other

3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
  2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I loved it and it's my favorite film of the year, so far.

3. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Well, I'd say it's almost neck and neck between LOTR and AI for me. But yeah, the movie rocked.

4. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I was great but I won't say it's the best of the year yet...

5. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Amidala you only have like a week left til the end of the year...are you waiting for ALI?

6. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Well, it doesn't have to be that way. She could see a 2001 movie on video or DVD sometime in 2002 and end up loving it more than LOTR.

And A.I. is now my second favorite.

7. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I remembered you liked AI alot.

AI dealt with some deeper issues and that's why I think it may be slightly ahead.

8. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    One of the best movies ever; I can't wait until the other two come out.

9. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Loved the movie, but felt that some of the plot elements were over simplified. And there were several missed opprotunites for character development.
    Can't wait for DVD, as Jackson has already said that deleted scenes will be reincorporated. Rough cut of the movie was said to be around 4 hours. Maybe it will explain why the entire fellowship was wearing the elven cloaks that they were never given.

10. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    that was my biggest beef! The cloaks suddenly appeared on everyone with no gift-giving sequence.

On the other side, the changes to the end battle/sequence I thought worked...even though it was sort of a blend over to the beginning of The Two Towers...with some wholly new material.

11. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Merry and Pippin were so poorly defined that the only reason I can remember which was which was because I remember Gandalf chastising Pippin and calling him by his full name. If he hadn't done that, I couldn't have told you which one he was.

Considering the book was really about the Hobbits, and the other characters were peripheral, I was highly disappointed that the other characters were more developed while the Hobbits got the shaft. I mean, I cared for Merry and Pippin so little that by the time Gandalf was "dead," I was rooting for an Orc to shank the two superfluous Hobbits before they could alert the bad guys one more time and get someone else killed. If they'd been more clearly developed, I doubt I would have felt that way.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The first time it was too loud, the projector was angled such that half the subtitles were cut off, and my brother was sitting next to me acting absolutely bored out of his skull. I loved it.

The second time all those problems were corrected, and it was MUCH better. Absolutely outstanding.

Besides the fact that Peter Jackson doesn't know how to effectively shoot an action sequence, it was an amazing film.

However, Black Hawk Down may steal the best movie prestige at the last minute.

13. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Kessel Runner I was hopping to see A Beautiful Mind this weekend. From what I've heard so far it could be my pick for best of the year

14. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    It surpassed all of my expectations.

15. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    It was good, but it could have been much better.

Tooooooo loooooooooooooooooong!

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    "Tooooooo loooooooooooooooooong!"

How else to film such a huge and epic book like FOTR? I actually wouldn't have minded if it had been a few minutes longer, IMHO. Hopefully the DVD will make that happen.

17. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    SotS, I hear the DVD will have the full first cut, it sits around 4+ hours.

Hmmm, regarding the Hobbit comment.... I suspect that we will see them more developed in The Two Towers just by the very nature of how the story develops for Merry and Pip.

18. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Absolutely awesome!

In defense of M & P, I saw some development. They started out as bungling pranksters, but by the end they were willing to sacrifice themselves for Frodo. You gotta give 'em that.

19. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    Taken as a stand alone film it's not perfect, but it was never intended to be taken as such in the first place. I have no doubt that when all three films are released, I'll rank the series up with my all time favorates.

"as Jackson has already said that deleted scenes will be reincorporated"

No he hasn't, and apparently they won't. Not until the trilogy box-set in 2004 at least, anyway.

Incidentally, Merry and Pippin had little development and did next to nothing in the book in the first place. There should be plenty of time for all that in the next two movies, where they have integral roles. The same goes for Gimli and Legolas.

20. darthfrede

darthfrede Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    BEST MOVIE EVER!!! :D

21. Darth_Kettch

Darth_Kettch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2001
    An excellent film in all regards, but in my opinion:
    The Book Was Better

22. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    It was really good, Merry and Pippen were good. I couldn't really follow the book.

23. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    "as Jackson has already said that deleted scenes will be reincorporated"

No he hasn't, and apparently they won't. Not until the trilogy box-set in 2004 at least, anyway.

What?! 3 more years? Oh the Horror!
    I want, nay, I need the uncut version, like now... drat.
    [face_plain]

Oh, excellent show. I suppose I'm one of those that they couldn't totally please...

24. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    I loved it. Of course, no Tom Bombadil, but you can't have it all.

The musical score was awesome, the actors portrayed their characters excellently, and the Arwen-Aragorn relationship extension worked out very well!

25. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Saw it again this weekend. Liked it even less.

Trying to figure out: why are the Wraiths such a threat? I mean, they're inches away from the ring, have a sword in Frodo's shoulder, and one guy is able to chase off five of them? Excuse me? That Uruk-Hai at the end should have been no problem for Aragorn if he can take on five Wraiths without trouble.

And why was Frodo choosing which way to go? Wasn't Gandalf brought along in the first place because he was the knowledgeable one, because Frodo didn't know the way? Suddenly Gandalf is letting the Hobbit choose? What is that all about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.