main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What did you think of Yoda dueling with a lightsabre in the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, May 3, 2020.

Tags:
?

What's your opinion on it?

1. Love it

40 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Hate it

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. Have mixed feelings about it

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    I thought it was cool. But at the same time, it was also kinda silly too.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    People were freaking out when they saw this in Cinema! It was hyped and loved by the audiences. All of a sudden some Internet critics started hating on it and People jumped on that band wagon.

Watch audience reactions of that Scene back in 2002 when Ep II was in Theaters. People cheered and applauded. I loved it too!

3. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I loved it..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Love it. It wasn't something I ever really considered before AOTC, but that was due to the limitations of the puppet, not because I believed Yoda was "beyond using a saber." And yeah, the crowd reactions in the theater were insane. I've never seen anything like that before or since.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    It was dope af. Made Yoda cooler in my eyes

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I went with "loved it" but would have picked "liked it" if that were an option. I kind of thought it could have been toned down just a bit with all the jumping and flipping and maybe could have lasted a bit longer. Cool moment though, especially the first time I saw it unspoiled and with no idea it was coming. As has been mentioned the audience went nuts in the theater at the time.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  8. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I'm mixed. The execution was over-the-top and comical, but that kind of made it endearing. But at the same time, it's just... weird. It often seemed like it was more about the CGI animators trying to show off than what Yoda would actually do. I mean, levitating a lightsaber to behead a clonetrooper?

9. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I loved it, particularly the juxtaposition between Yoda entering the scene on Geonosis, leaning on his walking stick then flipping around with a lightsaber minutes later. I always wondered how Yoda, given his smaller stature, could fight against regular human-sized opponents. I can’t imagine a better way for Yoda to have carried himself in such an encounter.

Had Yoda remained planted on the ground, I think that he would have been vulnerable to sweeping strikes and thrusts from his opponents. By leaping unpredictably and coming at his opponent from different angles and at different heights, Yoda was able to turn his small stature (and shorter lightsaber blade) into an advantage.

Yoda and Sidious fighting in the senate is one of my favourite scenes in Star Wars. I like how the PT gave us a more martial Yoda. I remember being taken aback the first time I saw him throw his lightsaber into the chest of a clone trooper outside the Jedi Temple. Brilliant stuff.

10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'll say love it if only for him force pulling his lightsaber off his belt.

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Loved it. It was very cool to watch, and I remember how awed the theater was the first time I saw AOTC. There were gasps, cheers, and applause. The audience was so excited to see Yoda wield his lightsaber. The moment played spectacularly in theaters.

12. SoUncivilized

SoUncivilized Jedi Padawan

Dec 5, 2019
    Blew my mind as a kid. Nowadays I think the stuff in Clones is a little on the goofy side but they found the sweet spot for Sith.

CampOfSorgan and Elder74 like this.
  13. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    I disliked the acrobatic way yoda tried to go beserk on dooku.

i thought yoda'd be a more "civilised" duelist like Dooku himself.

This does not mean i did not like yoda with a lightsaber. I love it all. Also sidious with a lightsaber. I mean how can you dislike this?

[​IMG]

14. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    It was silly and ruined Yoda tbh. He should have remained the wise advisor and never fought.

Just another bad thing in the prequels.

15. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I liked it, it's a way to show that Yoda is not so much above it all as he seems in the OT.

16. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    The prequels had a lot of flaws and contradicts the way we once saw the OT from a certain point of view.

I loved the prequels for what they were. When it comes to the sequels.... well that's hate fuel for me.

Yoda is wise. He is old and has been through a lot. I don't think the fights were bad. But that is my humble opinion.

17. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    It was one of those moments that you experience very rarely in the cinemas… Last time I felt it last year when Captain America hit Thanos with Mjolnir.

Lucas managed to surprise us, like he did in the entire PT, and it was a nice culmination of the second movie in the trilogy.

18. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Ultimately, I like it, and when it happened I remember laughing - with pleasure - with my friends in the cinema when we first saw it, the little noises he made
    actually harkened back to the 'crazy Yoda' we see in TESB at the start so we already knew he had that sort of crazy in him.
    It was just another glimpse of a different level to his personality that perhaps he normally has learned to control over nearly 900 years, maybe
    he was a berserker when he was a young hot-head of 400 years old?

Still, I would have toned down the flips over the machinery and made his movements make a bit more tactical sense, and have the fight go on
    just a little longer.

19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Makes sense, since he was a Jedi.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I agree. The over the top nature feels even more egregious when 20 years later, he can barely get around and is on his death bed. Especially considering 20 years to Yoda's species is like 2 years to a human.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  21. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah but that doesn't bother me. When leaping around etc he is using the Force to boost his speed, strength and resistance. As soon as he stops drawing on it he goes back to his semi crippled way. I have always been fine with that concept.

It's like Qui Gon doing mad flips when he's meant to be 60.

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    When I saw this the first time in the theater the crowd went *nuts* (I was living in Pittsburgh PA at the time). I haven’t experienced that in a theater either before or after.

23. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    It was definitely better in RotS with the Yoda vs. Palpatine fight. Or at least, more serious.

But in AotC? It was still cool, but even more comical. Those croaky Yoda battle cries... I can't not find that funny.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    CampOfSorgan and Def Trooper like this.
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Aging isn't a totally linear process. An old person can go from being relatively active to struggling to move around unaided in the space of a couple years. Not in the least implausible. Yoda is less than a year from dying of old age when we meet him in TESB.

He's supposed to come across as noticeably older and more frail in the originals as compared to the prequels. Frank Oz even does a different voice depending on how old Yoda is supposed to be. Oz's Yoda voice isn't as strained and guttural in the prequels as it is in the originals. When Oz came back to voice Yoda for Rebels, he intentionally reverted to his OT Yoda voice.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  25. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    It confused me as a kid when he turned into a beast out of nowhere after walking on a cane for the whole film, but I grew to like Yoda's PT portrayal more as time went on (though him yelling in the Dooku fight will always be a bizarre addition IMO, and is probably what made that more jarring for some people than it actually was).

What makes me love it is how it shows the power of the Force in general as well as Yoda's strength/experience (along with the absorption and large-scale telekinesis), and everything shown in AOTC was refined and put to much better use in ROTS when he fends off the clones and in his duel with Sidious.

Glitterstimm and Elder74 like this.