main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC What do you call a Star Wars fan?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by NessaSolo, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NessaSolo

NessaSolo Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    This is not the opening line of a bad joke, I really want to know what to call a Star Wars fan? People often refer to me as a trekkie, and I correct them saying that's Star TREK not Star WARS, but then they ask what the equivalent is for Star Wars and I have no response. This usually ends in me being called a "Warsie".

Is there something I can tell people? It's been bugging me for a while. :)
    I know it's silly, but I'd really like to know if we call ourselves something.

2. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    To the best of my knowledge there really ISN'T a tag name to apply to SW fans. Individuals in the mundane (non-SF, or marginally interested in SF, community) who feel obliged to drop a tag on every SF fan have, in my opinion, a problem. Ignorance seems to be the best word that applies to this particular class of people. If they insist upon using that limp tag (and I've been hit with it too), just smile, shake your head and either redirect the conversation or politely walk away. If they're smart, they'll avoid a repeat of the incident. If they're just plain ignorant they'll do it again. At that point it's up to you to consider whether it really is worth your while continuing any type of conversation with them...unless of course they're your boss. In that instance, if they persist to the point of being outright irritating or insulting, you should politely request they refrain from continuing in that vein and explain that it bothers you.

3. SabotJune

SabotJune Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2000
    I just refer to myself as a STAR WARS fan.

4. NessaSolo

NessaSolo Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    Haha thanks guys. Yes that's what I say too. Just thought I'd check and make sure I wasn't missing something.

Actually, I'm rather glad there isn't a dorky name. I'm content to just be a fan. :)

5. don-mccaskill

don-mccaskill Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I actualy prefer Trekker, to Trekkie. there is a difference.

6. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I believe it someone once told a reporter back in the late 1970s that the difference between a Trekker and a Trekkie was:
    a. a Trekker may dress in costume but they are level-headed, down-to-Earth people whose entire life doesn't revolve around Star Trek. They can differentiate between fantasy and real life, while;
    b. a Trekkie is what is also referred to as a 'groupie' (i.e. life is nothing without Star Trek). The actors ARE the characters, their life outside of work (sometimes inside work) is rated against Star Trek, etc.
    Sad that people need fantasy so badly that they have to live inside of it. Even sadder, there are SW fans who do this too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.